National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just out of curiosity how does anyone know how long it usually takes to get approved for a C&R license?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I got mine back 21 days from the date I dropped the application in the mail.
I heard others tell of up to 50 day waits. Something inbetween is probably the average, unless there is a "flag" in the background check that requires further research.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
With a C&R License you can buy, from anybody, from any state in the USofA:
1. All firearms listed on the BATFE's list of Curio and Relic firearms.
2. Any and all firearms (except for Class 03 NFA weapons and destructive devices) that are certifiable as to manufacturing date 50 years previous to purchase date.
3. You may buy from any licensed dealer or private seller, simply by sending or exchanging a copy of your C&R License, any of the above described firearms, from anywhere in the USofA.
4. You may receive via USPS, UPS, Federal Express any of the above described firearms at the mailing address listed on your license.
5. You may sell pieces from your collection so long as the sale is with the entent of "enhancing" your collection and you are not in the "business" of selling C&R eligible firearms. NOTE the last: you ARE NOT licensed to engage in a business.
6. Certain guns fall into a "gray" zone and require special considerations, too complicated to post here - but with special dispensation may be considered C&R eligible.
I am not a lawyer, the above information may be incorrect and any application for or use of a C&R license by anyone reading the above is on your own best judgement.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Since we have had a lot of new members join our forum, I think that getting your C&R is a good idea. It is a good way to expedite the process and save a few dollars on transfers. A big benefit to collectors of older military firearms.

I got mine in about 23 days from time I dropped the application in the mail.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
A word on the transfers - the C&R only applies to military firearms in original military configuration. In other words, Bubba's sporterized Mauser and Grampaw's old Winchester do NOT qualify.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I had always thought about getting a C&R license, but I was wondering about what kind of paperwork has to be done, recordkeeping type things. I have a FFL here that does transfers for $20 for me, so it might not be worth it when I get them done so cheap.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
I had always thought about getting a C&R license, but I was wondering about what kind of paperwork has to be done, recordkeeping type things. I have a FFL here that does transfers for $20 for me, so it might not be worth it when I get them done so cheap.
There is paperwork to keep and as FTF mentioned the C&R is for mainly military firearms in their issued condition. But part of the benefit is that you do not have to pay and FFL and the firearm can be shipped directly to your home. While I am not saying this is the end all be all, it is a good way to purchase and transfer firearms that you would like to collect.

Also, I still use a local FFL for other firearm transactions.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The C&R license requires keeping a bound book, the "Acquistion and Disposition" record - which has to be maintained during the entire time the C&R is held. This book is identical to the record book kept by an 01 FFL dealer. It must list the maker/manufacturer/importer, model, serial number, caliber, date of acquisition and from whom the firearms was acquired - by name and address or by name and FFL number. When sold or traded - the date of disposition, name and address or name and FFL number of the receiving party must be entered on the other side of the ledger corresponding to that firearm.
C&R is NOT exclusively or MAINLY for military firearms - it covers any and all firearms that fall within the guidelines that I listed in a previous posting. Any modifications, improvements or substantial changes from original configuration to ANY firearm disqualifies it from C&R status.
When I had my C&R active - I purchased over 150 "civilian" type firearms through on line gun auction sites.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
AK's are still not on the list of military firearms
Very very few, if any, ever will be, as selective-fire weapons cannot make the list.

Not many more rifles are out there to add.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
C&R is NOT exclusively or MAINLY for military firearms - it covers any and all firearms that fall within the guidelines that I listed in a previous posting.

When I had my C&R active - I purchased over 150 "civilian" type firearms through on line gun auction sites.
32 Magnum, I have no doubt that you are right and I should have used better terminology. I was referencing "mainly" because of my use and all the people I know (because we are military afirearms collectors) who use the C&R. Bad choice of descriptors.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
bat,
No harm, no FOUL, amigo! I was merely attempting to clarify the subject for the uniniate. I did use my C&R for a couple military collectibles also, but attempting, at that time and somewhat at this time, to build a world class H&R collection (I know, this seems like an oxymoronic statement), I found the C&R to be invaluable as it opened the entire country (through on-line auction sites) to my collecting fixation. Now that I have a world class H&R collection (including an a "few" Garands and an M14A, also a Reising Model 60), I find myself purchasing OTHER stuff - and have since given up my C&R because I've been working with FFL Dealers for the past 5 years and they do all the receiving for me - also got me off the radar screen, or so I think. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
You have named two of the three military firearms I have targeted to add to my collection - the M14 which I shot in boot and the M1 Garand. My Uncle has a number of Japanese Arisaka rifles that hopefully will go into my collection one day including a paratrooper version. The 03 Springfield as well as the K98 are already there. The great thing about the historical weapons is they still fire dang good - better than my eyes can support them any more! :lol:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I, also, trained with the M14 in Army basic, back in '67. I had the opportunity to purchase the M14A - semiauto a few years back - it is an all HRA original rifle, re-assembled on a Federal Ordnance receiver around 1983 - according to the previous owner. He said he shot it in military rifle matches and it did him well. I can vouch for the accuracy. I haven't fired it extensively - maybe 250 rounds or so - never had a problem of any sort with it. It will be the last firearm I give up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts