National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you feel comfortable buying by mail? What happens if you get a defective firearm?

Do you only deal with people you know? Would you avoid buying firearms in this manner?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have noticed that also. Prices around the larger cities are bid up buy all the potiential buyers but out in the country things are a bit different!

G

·
I've only bought a couple of spectacular guns - almost one of a kind - by auction/mail and they worked out very well! So far, so good - but whoever said it was/is no bargain is right. It can get pretty pricey sometimes.
:cool:

G

·
I bargan hunt. I have gotten some great deals on guns online! But I have also gotten great deal locally as well!

I would estimate that 75% of my guns could be sold for more than I paid for them (even figureing in shipping and transfer fees).

So yes I do alot of buys online but I only bid up to a certin amount and I allways look in the blue book before buying/bidding.

G

·
I've purchased only at gun shows and brick-and-mortar stores. While it is easier to find a hard-to-find gun on the Web, honestly, by the time you've paid the FFL transfer fees, the shipping charges, and the price of the gun, you rarely come out ahead of buying it face-to-face.

I've only purchased two used firearms, a Winchester 1300 and a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I purchased the Ruger from my FIL so there was zero concern. The Winchester was my very first gun, I knew to inspect the barrel and make sure everything felt right and it has been a superior shotgun (which has been retired as a safe queen for now, but will soon become a trap gun).

We've got most of the big-box stores out here (Sports Authority, Dick's, Big 5, Gander Mtn, Sportsmans Warehouse, Bass Pro) and we'll be getting a Cabela's in 2008. About the only big-name that I know that we don't have is Academy. So, the prices are very competitive, sales go on all the time, and I've run into deals where if you tell one store that the same gun is being offered at a better price (and can prove it), they'll offer to beat the price, either with a price match or with free gift cards.

Gun shows have lost their appeal to me. I find that they're selling more and more t-shirts and beef jerky than they are guns, and the guns that are available are at MSRP, dealers are unwilling to haggle, and used guns command a tremendous premium. Gun shows are still fun to walk around and handle different guns, but as I said I can almost always find a better deal at a retail store.

Just my two cents...

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
spanielsells said:
Gun shows have lost their appeal to me. I find that they're selling more and more t-shirts and beef jerky than they are guns, and the guns that are available are at MSRP, dealers are unwilling to haggle, and used guns command a tremendous premium. Gun shows are still fun to walk around and handle different guns, but as I said I can almost always find a better deal at a retail store.

Just my two cents...
I tend to agree......

I haven't bought a gun through the mail, and I'd be somewhat wary. That being said however, I would from someone that I know and could trust.

G

·
:cool: I've bought most of my Weatherbys , off the internet-from all over the country, mainly because , you can't get them locally without going TOTAL RETAIL and TAXED--

--I've always used BofA cert. checks, so I had control over fraud and I've spent a significant amout on money doing it that way--

--These guns are a little bit above bargin basement category and out of 13 Wbys, I've had ONE problem---

--On my .257, I bought 8 yrs ago from Virginia--one of the action screws was stripped, so I got a new one from Mr. Weatherby and that was it !!!

--I don't use Postal Money Orders because there is TOO MUCH FRAUD and it takes to long to get retribution, if at all--

--Bought a lot from ebay, but now they're totally getting out of firearm stuff--

--So, it's pretty safe, if you're very careful and you have to stay UP-FRONT with the Seller and vice versa--

-- :-B-: --JIMBO

G

·
I've bought 50% of my guns on the internet, some rare, one that is one of a kind. I could never have found them at dealers or gun shows. I never buy from a seller that isn't highly rated, usually customers include at least one I know so I can check em out. I often call the seller and get details and an impression. I've never been scammed. I've got some very good deals when everybody seemed to be asleep at the switch and the seller didn't set a reserve. My best example was a Colt Hbar upper mated to a DPMS lower for $650. $700 including shipping and FFL. Sold it for $900. I don't do this for profit, just to refine my collection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts