National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m from North New Jersey and wanted to purchase my first firearm (handgun). I’m 25 and I worked at the local police department that I reside in before deciding to look for something else but we are all on good terms. To buy a handgun in NJ you have to go through a mental health evaluation. So I would have to go into the same Department I used to work in.

When I was in high school I was bullied by some kids so my parents wanted me to see a counselor, I saw him twice and he diagnosed me with depression and prescribed me medication. My parents took me to someone else to get a second opinion and he said there was no way I was depressed, and places like that make their money off of prescribing medication. They have to diagnose you with something so they can prescribe you drugs and schedule endless meeting at the cost of the insurance company. He said I was fine.

Skip ahead 5 years and I apply at a PD. They gave me a physiological test which focuses on “Are you depressed or racist”. I passed. When I applied to the PD they never asked about mental health or at least nothing that retains to what I went through. I never lied is what I’m saying. On a PD application they really only ask “Have you been arrested? Have you ever used drugs?” That’s no problem.

PROBLEM 1: Will this be found in a mental health evaluation? I’m sure if it did come up the detective would not be allowed to tell people “Hey, Tim was depressed as a kid” but people gossip and if a different Department called and asked about me I wouldn’t want them bringing anything like that up.

PROBLEM 2: Will this deny me from getting a handgun? It would be up to the PD that I used to work in. The idea of them issuing me a firearm to carry around one day but then saying I’m not healthy enough to buy one the next seems ridiculous but hey, it’s the Government.

I’ve read that it will NOT come up and I’ve also read about people getting denied in NJ for being diagnosed with ADHD. Any help?

· Registered
3,355 Posts
NJ 2nd Amendment Society : Gun Laws, Control & Advocacy : New Jersey

Check the New Jersey Second Amendment Society. They have bee documenting how NJ routinely violates the constitution. If you are expecting rationale, logical behavior from your former co-workers, your going to be disappointed.

I would say that whatever the facts are you are not going to find it easy or quick.

Reactions: Speed

· Grand Imperial Poobah
32,085 Posts
I don't have a clue about NJ, but here in NC the only way mental illness is a factor is if you were involuntarily committed by a judge. IMHO, the mental illness check isn't worth having because only a minor faction of the population is ever involuntarily committed and of those who were, only a minor faction of those people are homicidal dangerous. The mental health check is simply another hurdle the liberals having us jump through to own a gun.

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,036 Posts
I'm a NJ resident. I'm at work but I'll respond in detail to your original post later tonight. In short. You have nothing to worry about. You do not get a mental health evaluation at the police department you simple sign a form allowing the state police access to your mental health records. Give the the police your two forms and you'll be good to go.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a NJ resident. I'm at work but I'll respond in detail to your original post later tonight. In short. You have nothing to worry about. You do not get a mental health evaluation at the police department you simple sign a form allowing the state police access to your mental health records. Give the the police your two forms and you'll be good to go.
I really appreciate that and thank you. I'm less worried now.

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,036 Posts
I know people that are on daily antidepressants and have had no issues what so ever obtaining their FID card/pistol permits.
Honestly....you're over thinking this and likely getting yourself worried/worked up for no reason.

Heres how the process should work.

fill out these two forms: Application For Firearms Purchaser Identification Card / Application To Purchase A Handgun and Consent For Mental Health Records Search
Take Cash (fees vary from town to town but its not terribly expensive, feel free to call ahead and ask whats its going to cost) and the two forms to the police station.
You will then need to go get fingerprinted at your own expense.(about $50) The PD will tell you where you can get this done. They will likely give you a form that you have to take with you to the finger printer. You may need to return it to the PD once you've got your prints. (prints are usually sent back to PD electronically. They're also taken this way so no more black ink on your fingers...LOL)

You need to supply two references on you FID/pistol permit form.(form sts-033) Choose them wisely. These references will be sent a questionnaire. How fast they return it is important. the longer it sits on your lazy friend Tom's kitchen table the longer your permit is going to take. Pick trustworthy friends that follow through.

Once you get your finger prints back to the PD and your references return your questionnaire your local police will do their thing and then send everything off to the state police who in turn will do their thing. Once everything comes back from the state police your local PD will generate your FID and permit(s) they will then go to the chiefs (or highest ranking public safety officer in your town) desk to be signed. You will then get a call to come pick up your FID/permit(s) they will not be dated until you pick them up. The amount of time this takes varies greatly from department to department. I've heard of it taking a few weeks to several months. (first time took me 9 weeks but by law its supposed to take no more than 30 days but that never happens)
You will have 90 days to use your pistol permit(s) and you can only buy one pistol/handgun every 30 days. so you will not be able to purchase another handgun until day 31 from your last purchase.
It is possible to get a 90 day extension on an unused permit but it must be done before the permit expires. Once it expires you have to begin the whole process again.

I encourage you to cultivate a relationship with your local FFL. I can buy a handgun anytime I want and he will hold it for me until I get or can use a permit. This is a very nice ability to have especially if you come across a really great deal, find something you've been after for a while or see that bada$$ gun you just gotta have .

Lastly, if your local PD requires or asks for anything other than the 2 forms I linked to above immediate contact our friends at NJ 2nd Amendment Society : Gun Laws, Control & Advocacy : New ... and make them aware. (theres a link on how to handle it in the below link)

Heres what they have to say about obtaining a NJ FID: New Jersey Second Amendment Society - How to Obtain a Firearms ...

Good luck. It all appears intimidating but its really not that big of a deal especially after you do it a few times. (although we shouldn't have to do it at all! Its sucks having to ask permission to exercise a God given right)

· Registered
4,452 Posts
NJ 2nd Amendment Society : Gun Laws, Control & Advocacy : New Jersey

Check the New Jersey Second Amendment Society. They have bee documenting how NJ routinely violates the constitution. If you are expecting rationale, logical behavior from your former co-workers, your going to be disappointed.

I would say that whatever the facts are you are not going to find it easy or quick.
Short answer: Yes, you will in all likelihood be denied. They don't have a separate category for NJ, and call it a "may issue" state, but it has issues year-round.

If they can get away with it, they'll say "We don't see a reason you need a gun.". In the case of one applicant, who has been repeatedly victimized by bikers,

IN HER HOME, their response was " If you have it, you may actually need to use it, so, NO." This, from sanctimonious, patronizing LEOS who's average response

time in urban neighborhoods is well over half an hour.

The only way you get a handgun, with any dependable regularity in NJ is to be a millionaire, and to have a battery of attorneys tirelessly applying pressure to the "justice" system on your behalf.

Everything they do in NJ is thinly veiled obstacles, in order to prevent you from having any firearms whatsoever.

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,724 Posts
As I read NJ laws, your, decade old, 'mental health' issues should not preclude you from acquiring a NJ purchase permit.

Reactions: Speed
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.