National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I'm having a very difficult time locating the laws on if CT considers black powder revolvers as firearms or any of the legalities on purchasing them or owning and transporting them to the gun range.
We all know CT is a gun strict state.

Does anyone know the following:
Can you buy and own a black powder revolver at your home in CT without a permit license or any licenses?
Can I legally buy and have it shipped to my home from online?
Can you transport it to and from the gun shooting range without a permit or license?
Can you own in your home the black powder, the bp gun, the caps all at the same time and can it be loaded?

I tried buying one from cabellas online and it said can't ship to this address.And then I did that with about 5 others and got the same thing.

Can someone fill me in with if this is legal and where are the statutes that clearly say such because I don't see much written on it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
your area FFL can probably tell you what the BP purchase laws are for CT and might be able to point you to the specifics.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your area FFL can probably tell you what the BP purchase laws are for CT and might be able to point you to the specifics.....
I asked about three gun stores and they said Ya you can buy with just a drivers license but none of them sold any black powder guns. All three just quoted federal law on black powder guns and didn't know any specifics about CT. CT is such a strict gun controlled state so I don't want to risk anything.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I would,
a: go to Cabelas and see if you can buy it there.
b: call a lawyer or the state attorney general's office. They should be able to point you to the applicable laws.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
Per federal law they are not guns but some states have enacted laws about them. Here in NY anyone who is 18 or older can buy one with no paperwork BUT you can't own all three components(powder,caps and balls) to shoot them. So if you want to shoot them you have to be 21 and have a pistol permit. CT might have a similar law and there is at least one member here from CT that may be able to help you. Hopefully he'll see this post and reply.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
If youre trying to skirt Connecticut law on carrying a firearm or in this case a deadly weapon and be sly bout it...don't think for one sec that the cops here will just ignore you if they find a black powder on you or in your possession. Stores here will still ask for id when buying such items. They will follow state laws n more put in place by their company. While you don't need a permit to purchase or carry a black powder in Connecticut, though its Connecticut. What do you think will happen? If you have the tens of thousands to fight it in court when your caught to prive your right, go for it.

Connecticut has all the money they make the laws on firearms not caring bout the Rights. They drag out court cases so you dont have the money nymore to fight your right and you plead to the charges. They got you coming n going t's crossed n i's dotted.

Your best spending a few hundred and talk to a lawyer, before spending tens of thousands and years in jail. Being sly doesn't pay out to well, when the jig is up.

https://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/Criminal.pdf#page=1132

DEADLY WEAPON A “deadly weapon” is defined by statute as any weapon, whether loaded or unloaded, from which a shot may be discharged, or a switchblade knife, gravity knife, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, or metal knuckles. If the weapon is a firearm, it may be unloaded, but it must be in such condition that a shot may be discharged from it. Thus, if the weapon is loaded but not in working order, it is not a deadly weapon. If the weapon is unloaded but in working order, it is a deadly weapon. Source: General Statutes § 53a-3 (6) (applies to Penal Code). Commentary: The statutory definition explicitly excludes its application to either § 29-38 or § 53-206. “Although both deadly weapons and firearms are designed for violence and are capable of inflicting death or serious bodily injury, firearms are limited to the most dangerous weapons and deadly weapons include a broader class.” State v. Hardy, 278 Conn. 113, 132 (2006) (finding that an air pistol was a deadly weapon within the meaning of § 53a-3 (6)); State v. Guzman, 110 Conn. App. 263, 274-76 (2008) (concluding that a BB gun is a deadly weapon as a matter of law), cert. denied, 290 Conn. 915-16 (2009). The phrase “from which a shot may be discharged” in the definition of “firearm” has been interpreted as requiring that the firearm is operable. State v. Belanger, 55 Conn. App. 2, 7, cert. denied, 251 Conn. 921, cert. denied, 530 U.S. 1205, 120 S. Ct. 2200, 147 L. Ed. 2d 235 (1999). See Note in definition of firearm for a discussion of the overlap among definitions.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_529.htm#sec_29-27

https://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/Criminal.pdf#page=683

Element 2 - While loaded The second element is that the (shotgun / rifle / muzzleloader) was loaded and capable of being discharged.
Connecticut Criminal Jury Instructions
• A (shotgun / rifle) is loaded when it contains in the barrel, chamber or magazine any loaded shell or cartridge capable of being discharged. • A muzzleloader is loaded when it has a percussion cap in place or when the powder pan of a flint lock contains powder.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If youre trying to skirt Connecticut law on carrying a firearm or in this case a deadly weapon and be sly bout it...don't think for one sec that the cops here will just ignore you if they find a black powder on you or in your possession. Stores here will still ask for id when buying such items. They will follow state laws n more put in place by their company. While you don't need a permit to purchase or carry a black powder in Connecticut, though its Connecticut. What do you think will happen? If you have the tens of thousands to fight it in court when your caught to prive your right, go for it.

Connecticut has all the money they make the laws on firearms not caring bout the Rights. They drag out court cases so you dont have the money nymore to fight your right and you plead to the charges. They got you coming n going t's crossed n i's dotted.

Your best spending a few hundred and talk to a lawyer, before spending tens of thousands and years in jail. Being sly doesn't pay out to well, when the jig is up.

https://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/Criminal.pdf#page=1132

DEADLY WEAPON A “deadly weapon” is defined by statute as any weapon, whether loaded or unloaded, from which a shot may be discharged, or a switchblade knife, gravity knife, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, or metal knuckles. If the weapon is a firearm, it may be unloaded, but it must be in such condition that a shot may be discharged from it. Thus, if the weapon is loaded but not in working order, it is not a deadly weapon. If the weapon is unloaded but in working order, it is a deadly weapon. Source: General Statutes § 53a-3 (6) (applies to Penal Code). Commentary: The statutory definition explicitly excludes its application to either § 29-38 or § 53-206. “Although both deadly weapons and firearms are designed for violence and are capable of inflicting death or serious bodily injury, firearms are limited to the most dangerous weapons and deadly weapons include a broader class.” State v. Hardy, 278 Conn. 113, 132 (2006) (finding that an air pistol was a deadly weapon within the meaning of § 53a-3 (6)); State v. Guzman, 110 Conn. App. 263, 274-76 (2008) (concluding that a BB gun is a deadly weapon as a matter of law), cert. denied, 290 Conn. 915-16 (2009). The phrase “from which a shot may be discharged” in the definition of “firearm” has been interpreted as requiring that the firearm is operable. State v. Belanger, 55 Conn. App. 2, 7, cert. denied, 251 Conn. 921, cert. denied, 530 U.S. 1205, 120 S. Ct. 2200, 147 L. Ed. 2d 235 (1999). See Note in definition of firearm for a discussion of the overlap among definitions.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_529.htm#sec_29-27

https://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/Criminal.pdf#page=683

Element 2 - While loaded The second element is that the (shotgun / rifle / muzzleloader) was loaded and capable of being discharged.
Connecticut Criminal Jury Instructions
• A (shotgun / rifle) is loaded when it contains in the barrel, chamber or magazine any loaded shell or cartridge capable of being discharged. • A muzzleloader is loaded when it has a percussion cap in place or when the powder pan of a flint lock contains powder.

These are sincere questions and are not meant to circumvent anything but the contrary, to take extra precaution. Everything you wrote I already read online and have similar views about CT and it's anti-guns restrictions. I'm not evading anyone. The old phrase going something like "I'd rather be judge by 12 than be carried by 6" goes the opposite way for me, I'd rather be without arms and die than go to prison and have a record for life. That's why I'm trying to find in full written statutes the laws surrounding them in CT. I read the same statute you did, it would be considered a deadly weapon if carried so, yes carrying isn't my interest. That's ruled out along with a bb gun, brass knuckles or anything considered a dangerous weapon. It's transporting, ownership, and storage at home and use on private property.

Updated Questions I don't see answered in any Statutes are the following for CT.

1. Can you have without a license or permit, the bp revolver in your home and loaded, can you own the bp, the gun, caps all at the same time. Some states like NY have a problem with that according to hearsay I read on here.

2. Is there a statute that says you can't have a bp gun shipped to your home from online?

3. Can you carry without a permit a bp revolver in your car to a gun range without catching a carrying without a permit gun charge? If so are there exact rules on how it's transported?

Not trying to be sly just to clear things up. I wouldn't carry any firearm or weapon in CT even with a permit. This would be just to have at home or in my yard, or for transporting to the range. I do not want to buy anything without knowing.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,070 Posts
I would think that one of the below listed resources could answer your questions.

Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection Division of State Police Special Licensing and Firearms
Unit 1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457
Telephone: (860)685-8494
Fax: (860)685-8496

Office of the Attorney General
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106
Phone Number: 860-808-5318
Fax: 860-808-5387

Connecticut Secretary of the State
State of Connecticut
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford CT 06106
Phone Number: 860-509-6200

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think that one of the below listed resources could answer your questions.

Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection Division of State Police Special Licensing and Firearms
Unit 1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457
Telephone: (860)685-8494
Fax: (860)685-8496

Office of the Attorney General
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106
Phone Number: 860-808-5318
Fax: 860-808-5387

Connecticut Secretary of the State
State of Connecticut
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford CT 06106
Phone Number: 860-509-6200
Thanks let me do that then.

·
Aim true !
11,656 Posts
Something is not right about this post sorry but that is how i feel. Why would you want a black powder gun for home defense and range use? They need to be cleaned every time you shoot it. And they are not cheaper to shoot than smokeless powder guns. Bullets for them are not cheap. I have black powder rifles, And shoot them once in awhile to keep in practice. For hunting.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
That and BP pistols need to be fired every few days, even with BP substitutes. They tend to attract moisture and are more likely to misfire the longer they are stored. They are not airtight like a cartridge.
I love my BP pistols and shoot them, but they are not the best choice. Just better than nothing. Sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,070 Posts
Its not my, nor our, job to question why anyone wants ANY firearm. My, our, job is to answer questions to the best of our ability, to relate our experiences as they relate to the question and to point out potential problems, possible pitfalls and 'thinking deficits'.

I fear we are driving away potential contributing members with the 'confrontational attitude' recently exhibited and seemingly spreading on our posting board..

We should be here to educate, not to denigrate, when it comes to threads of this sort.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"
Its not my, nor our, job to question why anyone wants ANY firearm. My, our, job is to answer questions to the best of our ability, to relate our experiences as they relate to the question and to point out potential problems, possible pitfalls and 'thinking deficits'.

I fear we are driving away potential contributing members with the 'confrontational attitude' recently exhibited and seemingly spreading on our posting board..

We should be here to educate, not to denigrate, when it comes to threads of this sort. "

Thanks much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,178 Posts
I did a quick google search and it looks like there are little to no restrictions on black powder guns in Conn. You can buy them. You can take them to the range but you can’t concealed carry them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did a quick google search and it looks like there are little to no restrictions on black powder guns in Conn. You can buy them. You can take them to the range but you can’t concealed carry them.
How do I transport the bp gun to the range without the risk of getting pulled over and charge for having a firearm in Ct in my car? How does that work?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
the other thing might simply be company policy.....some States such as NY CA, and Ct have various provisions from approved lists to mag capacity rules and regs.....a company may just put a blanket restriction to import into those States on firearms just to err on the side of caution.....that blanket could range from ar15's to single shots...

Heaven knows i have seen it on gunbroker and a few other places that refuse to ship to certain States....

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
These are sincere questions and are not meant to circumvent anything but the contrary, to take extra precaution. Everything you wrote I already read online and have similar views about CT and it's anti-guns restrictions. I'm not evading anyone. The old phrase going something like "I'd rather be judge by 12 than be carried by 6" goes the opposite way for me, I'd rather be without arms and die than go to prison and have a record for life. That's why I'm trying to find in full written statutes the laws surrounding them in CT. I read the same statute you did, it would be considered a deadly weapon if carried so, yes carrying isn't my interest. That's ruled out along with a bb gun, brass knuckles or anything considered a dangerous weapon. It's transporting, ownership, and storage at home and use on private property.

Updated Questions I don't see answered in any Statutes are the following for CT.

1. Can you have without a license or permit, the bp revolver in your home and loaded, can you own the bp, the gun, caps all at the same time. Some states like NY have a problem with that according to hearsay I read on here.

2. Is there a statute that says you can't have a bp gun shipped to your home from online?

3. Can you carry without a permit a bp revolver in your car to a gun range without catching a carrying without a permit gun charge? If so are there exact rules on how it's transported?

Not trying to be sly just to clear things up. I wouldn't carry any firearm or weapon in CT even with a permit. This would be just to have at home or in my yard, or for transporting to the range. I do not want to buy anything without knowing.

OK Yes you can have them shipped to your house, though some places will not ship or deal with Connecticut.

You can have a black powder in your home loaded too.

Yes you can carry it without a permit though you're legality is up to the discretion of the cop who questions you. Keep the caps off the nippes and you should be fine, though still its up to the cops. Remember you have a deadly weapon on you.

All this said you still must not be a felon or anything else that will keep you from having firearms or such device as the black powder.

Now if you want to play this out go right a head. In my original post I stated to go see a lawyer and spend a coupe hundred learning instead of spending tens of thousands and years in jail to contemplating what went wrong n how you got there.

I see you just logged on to the local forum. Good move, lots of good people there who will help out with what you're looking for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK Yes you can have them shipped to your house, though some places will not ship or deal with Connecticut.

You can have a black powder in your home loaded too.

Yes you can carry it without a permit though you're legality is up to the discretion of the cop who questions you. Keep the caps off the nippes and you should be fine, though still its up to the cops. Remember you have a deadly weapon on you.

All this said you still must not be a felon or anything else that will keep you from having firearms or such device as the black powder.

Now if you want to play this out go right a head. In my original post I stated to go see a lawyer and spend a coupe hundred learning instead of spending tens of thousands and years in jail to contemplating what went wrong n how you got there.

I see you just logged on to the local forum. Good move, lots of good people there who will help out with what you're looking for.
Okay thanks.

Ya that I got to check out with how to transport to the range with it. I cannot just rely on the fact I drive safely and rarely ever get pulled over. Just in case.

Local forum? I thought this posting was it.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Local forums are state forums. Put it in a locked box where the passengers will not be able to get at the black powder pistol, rifle, or musket. Usually locked in a box in the trunk.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts