National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the AK scene & I am trying to educate myself on what to look for. I have recieved a lot of advice on models to look for, such as SAR-1, SAR-2, SAR-3, etc...

All of the shops in my area sell the WASR 10, which I am told is a newer version of the old AK-47 design. They are all made in Romania & sell between $400 to $490 (depending on options). Do these prices sound too high for the WASR?

Does anyone think the WASR 10 is worth getting, or should I continue to look for the SAR models. I am kind of limited on price (below $500). Any help or knowledge is appreciated. Thanks

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
I have a WASR-10

Believe it or not... I really like the old sloppy thing. I have yet to have a single issue with mine... and I am easily working on at least 10k rounds through it. Lotsa doo-dads that are sold fit it nicely... and it is a very simple design... and low maintenance.

$400 is about average price... at least here in the Michigan area.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a WASR 10 that has performed flawlessly since I've had it, put maybe 1k rounds through it.

A buddy of mine got one and had nothing but trouble out of it.

When they come from Romania they only accept the 10 round mags (single stack?), Century has to convert them to accept the wider mags. Sometimes they don't get it done right and your AK is nothing but trouble.

So they're hit and miss, I got lucky, you might not. I haven't heard anything bad about the SAR-1, and IIRC it's just as cheap.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My friends dad had a Romanian WASR10, and he loved that thing. It never gave his problems. Some how though, he recently sold the puppie for $1000. dunno how that happened.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cy5018 said:
My friends dad had a Romanian WASR10, and he loved that thing. It never gave his problems. Some how though, he recently sold the puppie for $1000. dunno how that happened.
To a felon that couldn't buy one? :?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nah. Hes completly legit. Hes an engineer and a friggen perfectionist. I bought a rifle from him, and he had to go through a long process. I guess that he just found a good idiot eh?

though, i do know it was Romanian, and a AK47 pattern, solid black, synthetic stock and guard, milled reciver, i dont know if it actually was a WASR... But i *highly* doubt any 47 is going to get that high anyday.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As a first time buyer of an AK rifle, if you really want to get some good pointers please read the following two sites.

The first one is kind of a general "what to look for" guide.
http://www.gunchat.net/chat/viewtopic.php?t=3086
The author uses Bulgarian rifles in the discussion but so far as function is concerned, most AK are the same.
The major differences come in the fit and finish of the rifle.

The second site will tell you just about everything you ever wanted to know about most Romanian AK rifles, including the WASR.
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml
Read the tutorials located on the left of the page and you will get a good education on the AK.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cy5018 said:
though, i do know it was Romanian, and a AK47 pattern, solid black, synthetic stock and guard, milled reciver, i dont know if it actually was a WASR... But i *highly* doubt any 47 is going to get that high anyday.
Arsenals and Krebs Custom AKs are pretty high up there.

I would probably never spend that much on an AK though.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Here's the current status on "AK" type rifles:
Importation of "finished" AK's was banned in 1994 and the ban continues to today.
Importation of "parts kits" (which are assembled in the US with a percentage of US made parts to "finished" rifles) was banned in 2004.
The supply of parts kits at this time is limited to Romanian/RomArm manufactured sets.
The supply is "drying-up" and supply is very tight - demand is huge and probably will not be served before the supply runs out. We are having long waits getting "finished" pieces and are limited to the number we can order.
The WASR-10 now being sold is built on a "single stack" receiver (the 10 round thing) which has been cut out and modified to handle standard AK mags of higher capacity. All of the WASR's I've seen over the past year show varying degrees of proficiency in this alteration process - some have excessive wiggle of the magazine when installed and some with the most extreme wiggle have been problem feeders, especially for those folks who like to hold on to the magazine when firing rather than the foreward hand guard. Wholesale Prices for these pieces with either underfolding stocks or sidefolding stocks are NOW where the retail price was a year ago - hence retail is about 100 to 125 bucks higher this year than last.
The ROMARM SAR-1s through -3s that are now on the tables at gun shows or on the racks in gunshops are most likely pre-owned and the prices for these considerably "better" fit pieces are over $500 bucks (in my area of Eastern PA). The main difference, other than the better fit, will be the lack of a muzzle brake, flash hider or other muzzle device and a bayonet lug - as most of the SARs were produced during the Clinton/Reno gun ban.
Used, preban (that is pre 1994 imported) Russian, Chinese, Albanian, Czech, Hungarian AK's in all their different configurations are selling for over 700 smakeroos and up to 900+ depending upon condition.
We have an excellent condition Norinco AK tagged at $850.
We also recently received a Hungarian AMD-65 variant AK, that was recently made from some cache of forgotten parts - these sell at around $550 - but the supply is said to be very limited.
I've heard rumors from one of the suppliers/wholesalers that there are discussions afoot for RomArm in consortium with "some US company" to build an entire assembly line here in the US and produce the first fully USofA manufactured AK variants - but this probably won't happen for awhile as there are considerable hurdles (BATFE approval amongst the highest) to get over before anything can be done.
My assessment is: if you can afford a WASR-10 now, get it - prices will continue to rise as the supply reaches zero - if you can find someone who is wanting and willing to part with a SAR series - in any caliber -get it, prices are on the upswing; if you can find someone who is wanting and willing to sell any other country's AK - be prepared to pay as much as you would for the low end ARs.
Just my humble opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another thought that just hit me, you can go Saiga and have the conversion done to it so it looks like a "real AK", and have the magwell done to fit standard AK mags.

The Saiga should run around $350, but I'm not sure of the conversions. I know a guy on another forum I can ask for you if you'd like to get an idea of price.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My SKS outshoots my Saiga.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
got me a Yugo Underfolder by Century Arms....gonna be worth a ton in a bit cause they just stopped making em!

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
I just received an E-Mail from J&G Sales and they said they are sold out of all AK-47 type rifles. They are only excepting back orders for 5.45 cal. AK's, and don't even expect them in for at least a couple of weeks. It was on the network news how gun sales across the country are soaring because of Hussein winning the election, and fears of the AWB being resurrected. Some black woman in Washington was interviewed and said Hussein has no intention of doing such, and his statement about supporting a new AWB was taken off of his website. As if that means anything. I don't trust this a$$ any further than I can spit! Bill T.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
We called Century Arms to order another couple dozen of the WASR-10s, sold out last week - and were told that their backorder list has stretched to 300,000 units! and not to expect delivery for at least 8 months. Wholesale price has also gone up about 25% - this was last Monday, 11/10.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts