National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
Of course firearms are designed to kill. They're disigned to kill as efficiently and as quickly as possible. I see nothing wrong with that. There are times when killing becomes necessary.

·
Gun Cashew
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course firearms are designed to kill. They're disigned to kill as efficiently and as quickly as possible. I see nothing wrong with that. There are times when killing becomes necessary.
Point I'm making is they are not only for killing. Successful self-defense doesn't always mean sending the aggressor 6 feet under.

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
Jeff Cooper stated that producing the firearm and shooting were the same action. Don't draw unless you're going to shoot, and then shoot center of mass until the threat ceases. Or something like that.

Alan

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Hammers are designed for striking things. Baseball bats are designed for hitting things. Machetes are designed for chopping things. And the point is?

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
I handled a "Shoot to wound" case once. Young woman was trying to shoot a burglar in the leg. He saw the gun and ducked to one side. He ran right into the path of a .45 acp round. It was according to the shooter, aimed at his legs. I struck him in the right temple just above his ear. This happened in police district 65 in ElPaso,Tx. in 1974.
If you are not justified to use deadly force. You are NOT justified to use a firearm. They were designed to kill not frighten, wound, scare off, or any of the other silly things people try to make them do.
I have always been amazed at the beautiful firearms. Beautiful wood, premium engraving, gold & silver in lays, and so on. I once had the honor of handling, for a customer, a rifle that sold for $90,000. But always remember they are still designed with one thing in mind. If you put a proper bullet in the chamber and pull the trigger it can kill.

·
Gun Cashew
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I'm saying is "But guns were designed to kill" is the notion (oftentimes put forth by anti-gunners) that guns are only for offensive purposes, not defensive. Killing or not, these people fail to see that guns can be good. THAT is my point.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
What I'm saying is "But guns were designed to kill" is the notion (oftentimes put forth by anti-gunners) that guns are only for offensive purposes, not defensive. Killing or not, these people fail to see that guns can be good. THAT is my point.
Guns were designed to kill ... absolutely they were . Can guns be good ?.... well my gun is very well behaved and it provides me with countless hours of stress relief ... and for me this is a GOOD thing .
It also provides me with peace of mind ... also a very GOOD thing ... and if i ever felt that my life was threatened it would do what it is designed to do... it would kill , and i would be a survivor.... and that is a very good thing.

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
There are indeed some guns that are designed for other purposes other than singularly to kill. Bench Rest/target rifles, Trap/Skeet Shotguns, oilfield perforating guns, nail guns (some of them use 22 lr type charges, and others that I don't have the time or inclination to mention. Actually, some of the 50 BMG rifles and ammunition was designed specifically to "kill" other weapons and not necessarily humans.

I understand your point ONNaG. But the thing that makes a defensive weapon work is your attacker's knowledge that you can inflict equal if not greater harm on him than he on you. Hence, your gun must have the capacity to kill if you intend to use it.

Alan

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
And that's a very good point.

Now, here's an idea that someone here might really want to follow down to the point of getting a patent, which will make him or her rich beyond their wildest dreams. Develop a weapon that can only be used for defense. Of course, it will be legal everywhere, and in some places, even encouraged. Maybe to the point where the government buys this 'defense weapon' and provides it to citizens free of charge.

Sorry, pepper spray and tasers don't count. These are often used for mugging, or for incapacitating a victim during a 'Knockout Game'. So this new invention will have to be a whole lot better.

I don't want to discourage someone who wants to be a multi-millionare, but sheesh, if you can't use it for offense, it will be totally worthless for defense.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,413 Posts
People have been killing each other since the beginning of time. Remember Cain and Abel? Before the gun was invented, people used fists, rocks, spears, arrows, swords, knifes, fire, water, trees, rope, reptiles, animals, insects, poison, etc., to killed each other. The Romans even made entertainment out of killing people. There is no reason to think if guns disappeared from the face of the Earth, the killing would somehow miraculously stop. Guns don't kill people, people kill people and unfortunately humans have excelled at the skill of killing.

Reactions: DPM

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Yes, firearms are designed with the capability of killing. But the devil is in the variable details, not the fixed constants, and libtard oversimplification doesn't clear up the crystal ball. Is the firearm being wrongly used to take life or rightly used to save life? Is the person being shot one who ought to be killed, and the person doing the shooting one who ought to be saved?

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I see the point that you are trying to make. Guns are designed to kill is a chant of the anti gunners. Your point ( if I got it right ) is that technically guns were not designed to kill. They are designed to project a small hard object at rapid velocity in an accurate and repeatable manner. More over the person operating the gun has a choice as to where that object is directed.

It is a good point in that it keeps the responsibility for the killing or not killing in the hands of the operator rather than on the inanimate object that directs the projectile.

But, what ever they were designed for is a moot point. They are inanimate objects. They have no ego, no desire, no agenda. They are not capable of thought or reason in any form. With the eception of some very expensive military equipment a fire arm can not load itself, can not chamber its own round, Can not aim itself, and can not pull it's own trigger. It is a thing. Nothing more. things are not good or evil, they are just things.

·
Super Moderator
11,868 Posts
They CAN'T kill until someone uses it to kill. Regardless of design.

I look at it this way. Yes, guns were designed to kill. That's an undeniable fact. But in the civilian world, they kill a lot less than items NOT designed to kill. Cars are not designed to kill but they kill far more than guns do. Also a fact. Lots of other things not designed to kill are killing at a rate far higher than guns do.

--Wag--

Reactions: Popeye

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,296 Posts
Looks like ya'll pretty well have it covered,,, I suppose instead of using this dang "killing contraption" we should just start (as Sarah Palin says) baptize our aggressors.

"Hey you, lay down there on that bench and hold still dang it while I get the towel and bucket of water"

as an after thought..as someone mentioned above ^^^^ cars were designed to drive but that doesn't mean everyone can operate one..

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I`m pretty sure all the squirrels, rabbits, deer, hogs and doves are not too happy with the premise that guns are designed to kill----but it tickles the pee-pee out of me.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
I`m pretty sure all the squirrels, rabbits, deer, hogs and doves are too happy with the premise that guns are designed to kill----but it tickles the pee-pee out of me.
Now if these critters developed their own system of currency that can be exchanged for a dollar or so, these critters would represent a growth market for the firearm manufacturers -- and make hunting maybe a lot more interesting.

·
Super Moderator
5,826 Posts

Reactions: Siplace
1 - 20 of 20 Posts