National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to the local welding shop yesterday, I had this idea for a while now and it was high time to do something about it.
It cost me $60 it's all made of 3/8 thick steel, the pipe could be a 1/4 but at this point who cares right. It's a little heavy though.
I've tried it a few times it's perfect. I wanted it to be standing upright but there was a little lack of communication with the welder who had never saw anything like this lol So i'll use it as seen on the pictures. I'll see if I can whip up something for the open end, originally I wanted to use a coffee can to collect the lead if it was standing but it looks a little weird standing but i'm sure it will do the job any way you put it. (Target is 6 inch square)
It's a little rough, but it was cheap so I'll do the grinding when.... ever lol
I probably should've put it in the "air gun" section since it's "officially" a pellet trap ... 40 Gr. pellet ;)

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,011 Posts
It looks like it should work ............. if you hit the trap. :ROFLMAO:

Let us know how it does.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Lol “ if you hit the trap” I’ve seen similar Ones to this. One had a spiral at the end to decelerate the bullet. Screw the pellet gun and hit it with .22LR and then report.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does pretty well actually I think the thick part is the back ;) It must've spun around a few times. it would probably do well with 9mm too but.... i'm never going to find out lol i'm in Canada ... you know

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd love to have a high speed cam to see what's going on in the tube

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It just dawned on me why the welder made it the way he did, this is the picture I gave the guy in the office and I told him it was the top view which he probably forgot to tell the welder.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I whipped up a home made cover for the open end, there's a lot of lead dust in there. I used a PVC 4 inch end cap but unfortunately that pipe is thicker than a PVC pipe so I had to use the torch to soften it a bit and I cut a piece of it to fit over the end of the trap itself. Not a great fit as you can see so I used hot glue to plug the holes, it's not like that part is going to stop bullets. I also made a little rake to get the lead out inspired from the video Fixitfred posted (y) .

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
You know that thing looks like pretty thick steel. I bet that would easily stop .22's and possibly some slower cast pistol bullets.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
.22's have already been tested, splats on the bottom without even a scratch and rolls in the tube, the angle although I wanted it more open (like 70 degrees) to use less steel and less weight does all the work at about 45 degrees and very long (third pic 1st post). I have no doubt it would work as well for any 9mm FMJ and .45's. The tube in the back is at least 1/4 inch thick and the top plate is welded as if it was part of the tube so no direct impact on it, even if you shot directly in the slot, it would roll but it would be hard since it's almost horizontal (fourth pic 1st post). I love it so far.
Edit: I just measured the thickness with the caliper it's 0.256.5 for the plates.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been checking out vids on 1/4 inch mild steel it's pretty much bullet proof with 38 spl, plus P and 357 mag lead bullets when hit at 90 degrees as if it was a hanging target. it's starting to dent with 44 magnums so i'm very happy to hear that it will withstand my .22..... pellets at the angle it is . I'm making a little wheeled cart to move it around in the basement (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts