National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started looking into my first AR-15 8 years ago this was the biggest question I had for my self. to me it would be cheaper to buy one prebuilt but in the end knowing my self i never keep any thing stock so parts would change left and right till I had it the way i like it.

When it came down to it, I decided to build my own due to the fact that i can part it together the way I like it without dropping tons of money all at once. Every month I would buy the part i wanted either if it was the barrel, optics, or a trigger. In the end the build came out costing a lot more than what i would of liked it to be but wow she is beast of a hog rifle.

What is your input would you rather buy ore build and why?

·
Live Free
3,247 Posts
Build. Good way to learn things. Get what you want on the gun...some things are worth paying more for in my opinion and some things aren’t. I got to choose where my money went, and I know my rifle inside and out. My rifle might not satisfy others, but it’s right by me.

·
Registered
14,706 Posts
You can buy a complete rifle, and then spend just as much on "upgrades", you're screwed either way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I built mine, and the answer is pretty anti-climatic. I received a stripped lower as a gift from my dad for Christmas one year, so I built it from there instead of buying one. It turned out to be a great experience. I got to learn so much about the AR platform, how it functioned, what parts were the best, and how to repair/maintain it. The next AR I get I will probably purchase it already built, but I do not regret building my first one. It costed me a lot more money though to build it than it did to buy one already built (mostly because I have high standards and I put the expensive Daniel Defense barrel in it and I kind of got carried away. Lol.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I own an AR-15 and AR-10 style rifles. Both were bought new and complete.
I only bought them for SHTF scenarios. There are a lot other style guns I am more passionate about that I would want to build. The AR to me is just a basic tool and I just practice with it enough to stay somewhat proficient.
Some folks just love them and they are the ones interested in all the bells and whistles and learning all the intricacies of the platform. Mine are just fine stock.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I’ve done it both ways. Built a few and bought a few.

You’d be amazed at how simple they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I bought a DPMS AR-15 and LR-308 (AR-10) back to back. They are rock solid. Hopefully they will fire up the factory again. Sold my LR-308 because I already had a KS-47 (7.62x39 AR) and bought a high powered bolt.

If I had to do it again I’d still buy those 2. I took my AR-15 out back a couple days ago and after thousands of rounds, I still managed a 5 shot group in less than 3/4”, at 100 yards. The only thing I did to either of them was change the hand guards.

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
Building them is always more expensive because you don't have the luxury of buying 10,000 of each part at wholesale prices. Most people tend to buy upgraded parts like $200 drop in triggers, more expensive hand guards etc. I bought one many years ago that was off the shelf but now i prefer to built them how i want them to be set up and have built 3 for different types of shooting. From left to right. First one is a heavy bull barrel with a scope which is mostly used for longer distance bench shooting. With the barrel, stock and heavier fore grip it's not friendly for off hand shooting. Second one is really light with a red dot. Stock weighs almost nothing, pencil barrel and carbon fiber grip makes it nice for close range shooting at multiple targets. I like to set up multiple size steel targets at different ranges from say 25-50yds and shoot each shot at a different target as quick as i can. Last one i wanted to make sort of fancy being i like wood furniture. It has the typical irons and the weight is moderate(a little heavier because of the wood) so it can easily be shot however you want. I had that one out a few weeks ago easily shooting a 12" steel plate at 200yds offhand. All are set up for king cuomos rules with either the funky stock, no threaded barrel etc, fixed mag or single shot. I find the fixed mag to be the most annoying out of the bunch, not super easy to load. I might get one of those ejection port speed loaders and see if that works better. All of these are .223/5.56 but i would like to get a 7.62x39 upper for the middle one. Only thing that has held me back is reading that some people have problems with function and every time i go to look the mags are hard to find.

If you're going to built one or more just think about the type of shooting you want to do with it and build it accordingly.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Building them is always more expensive because you don't have the luxury of buying 10,000 of each part at wholesale prices. Most people tend to buy upgraded parts like $200 drop in triggers, more expensive hand guards etc. I bought one many years ago that was off the shelf but now i prefer to built them how i want them to be set up and have built 3 for different types of shooting. From left to right. First one is a heavy bull barrel with a scope which is mostly used for longer distance bench shooting. With the barrel, stock and heavier fore grip it's not friendly for off hand shooting. Second one is really light with a red dot. Stock weighs almost nothing, pencil barrel and carbon fiber grip makes it nice for close range shooting at multiple targets. I like to set up multiple size steel targets at different ranges from say 25-50yds and shoot each shot at a different target as quick as i can. Last one i wanted to make sort of fancy being i like wood furniture. It has the typical irons and the weight is moderate(a little heavier because of the wood) so it can easily be shot however you want. I had that one out a few weeks ago easily shooting a 12" steel plate at 200yds offhand. All are set up for king cuomos rules with either the funky stock, no threaded barrel etc, fixed mag or single shot. I find the fixed mag to be the most annoying out of the bunch, not super easy to load. I might get one of those ejection port speed loaders and see if that works better. All of these are .223/5.56 but i would like to get a 7.62x39 upper for the middle one. Only thing that has held me back is reading that some people have problems with function and every time i go to look the mags are hard to find.
View attachment 120228

If you're going to built one or more just think about the type of shooting you want to do with it and build it accordingly.
I really like the wood on the one on the left. I have never seen an AR like it.
To the OP- you should buy your fist one. Learn the platform and then decide if you want to build one. Be careful, they can be very addictive!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bought an AR-15 in the M4 configuration. Mostly just to have one-got plenty of other military surplus rifles. If I get or build an AR-15, it'll probably be in the M-16 configuration.

·
Aim true !
11,332 Posts
I like the wood one the most too. But then im more partail to wood furniture.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Done both. Bought a ruger when they first came out. Enjoyed it and decided to build. I spent twice as much buying all the best parts but that rifle is 3 times the rifle the ruger was. Now I've improved the ruger and am building a longer distance gun and its even more expensive. I'll never build or buy another AR w/o adjustable gas. Makes a world of difference and since I reload, I don't need all the gas off the shelf rifles feed the bolt. I love tailoring the loads for accuracy and shootability. Probably never have anything less than mid length gas either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts