National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon guys

For a while i have bin looking for some good vintage gun parts, and most what i can find i crap or not exactly what i want that got me thinking..
What would it take to make those parts myself ? I was thinking of slides and barrels in particular.

For instance i have bin looking all over the world for a extended 7.62x25 tt33 barrel or a new barrel for a colt 1903 in .32 ACP.

I can find one anywhere...

So know i'm looking into taking CNC classes and figure things out maybe even start a good business out of it.

Forget the talk about law and Patents and all those things, What would you guys advice is it possible and do i need years of education to do this ?

you're response will be much appreciated.

Wess

·
Registered
2 Posts
CNC can be fairly expensive to set up, not to mention the designing of the parts. The software is not cheap for making quality parts. Here at Northwest Precision Firearms LLC, we custom manufacture gun parts. We don't do barrels, that takes a different type of milling machine for the rifling. You can contact us if there is something specific you want. We may be able to help out.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Quote "What would you guys advice is it possible and do i need years of education to do this ?"

Here in the civilized world, maybe. But if we're talking about the difficulty and education...Since philipinoes are turning out pretty decent guns out of straw huts with no education what so ever, the level of difficulty to do this must be pretty low. All you really need are tools and a model
Just my opinion

Btw, funny that a new member is asking a question about CNC stuff and a minute later some other new member from a CNC Co. is offering services is quite a coinkidink
:lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that is funny :p As you say the Philipinoes i saw that on Vice i believe pretty bizar stuff if you ask me. Same can be said for Khyber Pass in Pakistan, don't know if there still making stuff but they were impressive to.

Only i was not planning on doing it in a straw hut with just a bunch a hacksaws :p

Thanks for you reply man i think i'm gonna specialize in the Colt 1903 to bad there banned in Canada right ?

·
Super Moderator
14,623 Posts
I was going to suggest Pakistan. Oh well, just like my other good ideas.

Alan

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
There is no current ban on the Colt model 1903 in Canada , as far as i know there has never been a ban on this gun in Canada .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've shot the stuff in Pakistan and the Philippines. They'll fire, but they rattle and get to hot to hold. Not any real quality control for tolerances over there. If the tester doesn't get hurt the gun is good to go :p If you want quality, you'll pay for it regardless if you decide to set it up yourself, or sub it out to another shop for custom parts.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
There is no current ban on the Colt model 1903 in Canada , as far as i know there has never been a ban on this gun in Canada .
You have to admit it is confusing since our list of banned guns is longer than our legal ones... This should be funny but it's not. :confused5:

Reactions: gunzilla

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,923 Posts
So know i'm looking into taking CNC classes and figure things out maybe even start a good business out of it.

Forget the talk about law and Patents and all those things, What would you guys advice is it possible and do i need years of education to do this ?

you're response will be much appreciated.
Startup costs will be impressive. Unless you're going into business as a parts manufacturer its a losing proposition.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,407 Posts
You'll also need a knowledge of metallurgical properties and what grades of steel can be used for specific parts. Having a "homemade" barrel blow up in your hand because the steel couldn't with stand the pressure, could be deadly or give you a new nickname of "Lefty".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts