National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have located a parts kit, barrel, and receiver repair section, I don't know how to weld, but a friend of mine does. Would it be legal to have my friend weld the gun together? The gun I would build would be semi auto.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm almost postive my gun would not be a Class III because it has a 16.5" barrel, one which I would special order, and it also wouldn't be full auto, because of a mod I would make. Please tell me if anyone could legally build a class ii weapon, not class 3.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
If you are building on an original full-auto capable receiver the firearm is considered to be full-auto by the ATFE. It matters not the modifications you make.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm NOT using the original receiver, I'm using a receiver repair section (not original) and welding it into place. It was NOT made to be full-auto and is remade to be semi-auto.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
I'm NOT using the original receiver, I'm using a receiver repair section (not original) and welding it into place. It was NOT made to be full-auto and is remade to be semi-auto.
Now it comes down to serial number. Was the receiver serial number originally assigned to a full-auto capable weapon?

·
Registered
307 Posts
when building your own guns you have to do all the work yourself

no one can help you out

if someone says they helped you or someone sees them helping you then you are in trouble thats why you have to do it yourself :wink:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Rather than hoping that someone on an internet forum has the right answer, got to the source: BATF-E NFA Questions

Discussion is all well and good, but if you are planning a project like this, it's really best to go to the source.

BTW, State, county and local LEOs generally don't know squat about federal firearms laws. Really!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts