National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want some candid, to the point knowledge on how to make my firearm, (a Bryco Jennings Nine), more reliable, and preferably NOT a POS Aftermarket parts. Etc. This gun is what I feel comfortable using. I like how it feels in my hand. I like the recoil. Granted, it's a pain in the ass to put together. But it's what I want to use. And money is tight. As in I like my gun and I don't want to go out and buy a brand new one when I can spend just as much money modifying and upgrading the one I already have. Any discussion and or extrapolation on the subject would be helpful and preferable. On a side note, try not to come off like an ass. Thanks.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I don't think there is a huge aftermarket parts list to improve your pistol. You might be able to upgrade the springs to top quality Wolff springs.
It is tough to tell what needs to be done unless you yell us what specific problems you are having with it.

A good "fluff and buff" might help you gun run a bit smoother.

·
Guns Gear & Freedom
288 Posts
Jimenez Arms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seven Years Later

What a fascinating history this manufacturer has. Nevada and California. The main market seems to have been L.A.

Then a huge sensational lawsuit.

Now they are HQ in the Las Vegas suburb of Henderson.

All small pocket guns, 32 ACP, 380 ACP, 25 ACP, 32 ACP, and 22 LR.

And a full sized 9x19 parabellum.
I reviewed a Bryco Jennings pistol that was chambered in .22LR. They are cheap and geared towards those who are really on a budget. Not to sound like an ass, but I think you would honestly get more value out of a Hi-Point C9 for just a few bucks more. Both guns are geared toward the budget market. That is just my two cents.

Bryco Arms/Jimenez Arms Bryco J22 Review

Hi-Point C9 9mm Pistol Review

·
Banned
467 Posts
So do you see these much in Idaho as well, Ken?

By relocating to Nevada the company is in a friendlier environment for gun ownership than California.

Plus labor is cheaper in NV and taxes are less as well.

And they are still close enough to the L.A. market to distribute there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the candid and to-the-point advice so far guys. Although, any links to webpages that sell those "Wolff Springs" you mentioned would be much appreciated.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically, what I want to do with my gun is simple. Make it reliable and long lasting. Weather I have to save money to have parts custom-fabricated for it or what. This is the gun I'm sticking with. Because I like the way it feels in my hand and I prefer it. Some basic problems that I've seen mentioned with the Bryco/Jennings models of handguns are FTFs, Jams and the risk of it literally blowing up in your face. I guess what I'm asking for is a comprehensive list of things "to do" to the gun in order either eliminate those failings and or make my weapon more reliable and hardy. I want an overall better weapon by way of upgrades and modifications to my current weapons platform.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wolff Gunsprings - Firearm Springs for Semi-Auto Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, & Shotguns

I did not look to see if your specific gun was listed. If you need help, give them a call.
Thanks for the advice BigWB. I'll call them and look into that. Basically the issue I want to fix is sustainability. I just don't know enough about handguns in general, let alone this particular handgun, to get a good grasp on what exactly I need to do to it, or for that matter HOW to do it. I'm eager to learn however, and would love to know how these particular firearms work. My gun simply won't fire at the moment. The clip also won't lock in place when I try and load it. And even though there's nothing wrong with the firing pin, it won't fire even when I simply put a round in the chamber, cock it and pull the trigger. I COULD just send it in, and have it fixed for like 50 bucks. But that won't help me understand how to fix it myself. You know what I mean?

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
#4 has a point.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Some pistols will not fire without the magazine inserted correctly. It is called a magazine disconnect safety. I don't know if you pistol is so equipped but this could be your problem.

Even if you do get it working, I doubt your gun is designed for a lot of shooting. It is probably built for occasional shooting and a lot of carrying. In other words the service life is most likely shorter than more expensive guns.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Some basic problems that I've seen mentioned with the Bryco/Jennings models of handguns are the risk of it literally blowing up in your face. .
That right there is a deal breaker for me. Instead of putting money in a throw a way cheap firearm and still having a cheap firearm when you are done, invest in a better quality one. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I want some candid, to the point knowledge on how to make my firearm, (a Bryco Jennings Nine), more reliable, and preferably NOT a POS Aftermarket parts. Etc. This gun is what I feel comfortable using. I like how it feels in my hand. I like the recoil. Granted, it's a pain in the ass to put together. But it's what I want to use. And money is tight. As in I like my gun and I don't want to go out and buy a brand new one when I can spend just as much money modifying and upgrading the one I already have. Any discussion and or extrapolation on the subject would be helpful and preferable. On a side note, try not to come off like an ass. Thanks.
If my money were that tight, I wouldn't waste it on such an ill-fated project. There is nothing you can do to make a cheap gun more reliable unless you improve the design & parts quality - which would cost much more than buying a decent gun. And you pretty-much acknowledge that in your post title. Any gunsmith who works on a gun like that is taking you for a ride.

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
That right there is a deal breaker for me. Instead of putting money in a throw a way cheap firearm and still having a cheap firearm when you are done, invest in a better quality one. Just my opinion.
My sentiments exactly! I never knew Jennings made a full size 9 mm, learn something new everyday. Oh they didn't get the nickname jammin jennings for no reason. If you are looking for a cheap gun that is more reliable try looking into a Tokarev or one of the copies of them. Military surplus ammo is cheap too. I know you said you don't want a different gun but your hand and face might thank you in the future.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
As in I like my gun and I don't want to go out and buy a brand new one when I can spend just as much money modifying and upgrading the one I already have.
You can spend the money. You cannot make your pistol any 'better' than it already is.

I want an overall better weapon by way of upgrades and modifications to my current weapons platform.
I'm going to be blunt in telling you something you've, most likely, already heard.

You are attempting to pick up a turd from the clean end.

Although a spring kit and a fluff & buff cannot hurt neither they nor anything else can make your pistol "reliable and long lasting". You can spend the cost of a new and quality pistol in an attempt to make your pistol "reliable and sustainable" and it won't happen.

When you start with garbage, you end with garbage.

My gun simply won't fire at the moment. The clip also won't lock in place when I try and load it.
Its already broken. Simply put, you cannot make it brokener. Take it apart. Detail strip it. Try to think like the original designer thought. Play with it. This is a very good way of understanding how its supposed to work. Consider it a learning experience.

I am a (still) semi-retired gunsmith. If you insist on attempting to make your Bryco a quality and reliable piece you must start by discarding every single piece of the pistol. Then each part must be refabricated using quality materials. I'm guessing this will run in excess of $5k to have done. Unfortunately, after spending this amount of money you will have a pistol made up of quality parts but of a pathetically poor and unreliable design. There is no 'fix' for bad design.

Do you begin to understand?

Reactions: Ken Hill

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
My sentiments exactly! I never knew Jennings made a full size 9 mm, learn something new everyday. Oh they didn't get the nickname jammin jennings for no reason. If you are looking for a cheap gun that is more reliable try looking into a Tokarev or one of the copies of them. Military surplus ammo is cheap too. I know you said you don't want a different gun but your hand and face might thank you in the future.
Good advice from "olhippy" & "Square target." Remember, a gun is a bomb that you detonate a few inches from your face. The gun's materials & quality of construction are what contain & direct the pressure safely out the front. And the 9mm is a high-pressure cartridge - a bad choice for a gun made with cheap materials. The gun's warranty will not restore your face or your eyesight, nor will the warranty help you in a defensive situation.

You will find a dishonest gunsmith who will not turn down your business & tell you they can "make your gun reliable." He can't.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
This project is making less and less sense. Forgive me here if I am wrong but...

The only reason I can see doing this work is that the pistol has been acquired illegally. You want a pistol the have and shoot but have no money. You could afford a bit by bit approach but not buying a quality gun all at once. Also I bet the hassle of trying to get another illegal firearm is not something you want to do again.

Sorry if I'm wrong. I am not trying to accuse you but it makes sense to me.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
That's a possibility BW. Although acquisition is of little importance in this case. He is considering a losing proposition. What he wants cannot be done.

Reactions: Ken Hill

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Yep, I am just trying to understand where he is coming from and why.

I wish I could help.

·
Guns Gear & Freedom
288 Posts
So do you see these much in Idaho as well, Ken?

By relocating to Nevada the company is in a friendlier environment for gun ownership than California.

Plus labor is cheaper in NV and taxes are less as well.

And they are still close enough to the L.A. market to distribute there.
I see these in pawn shops all the time. People around here usually buy them because they are cheap then realize the mistake they've made after owning it a few days and take it in to the pawn shop to try and get some money back out of it. It is a learning experience.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts