National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was blessed to find an old Hi-Power "T" series the other day for $500.(1964 circa)
The mechanics of the gun are as crisp as if it were unfired, but the bluing is shot. There had been some surface rust (no pitting) and in removing that, the previous owner removed the bluing in places and attempted a cold blue.
MY QUESTION.
Who does the best hot blue on a pistol?
A rough price estimate?

Attachments

· Registered
6,726 Posts
i have not had a gun hot-blued in years. The man i used decades back has passed away. i am guessing at this point that a google on gunsmith-bluing in your State might get some decent results.

other than that, i think Brownell's has some off-site gunsmiths that might be of help.

· Registered
17,515 Posts
Doug Turnbull. He does stunning work and prices vary to whatever you want to spend.
He has 3 prices ranges, they start at expensive then move on to selling a kidney and top out at robbing Trump. They do impeccable work though from what I've seen.

· Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
I'm with AFS on this one. A High Power is a fine pistol and a re-blue, even the best re-blue, is still a re-blue. Of course I have re-blued some firearms and had one re-blued. I can't say that it made them any better for the effort. The money you will spend on a high quality blue job will go a long way toward buying something else.

But

That's just my opinion, others may vary.

Alan

Reactions: Wag
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.