National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is gun #3 from my wife's inherited collection. Gun #1 was the KAR98 and #2 was the Remington 03-A3.

I assume this is a 22LR or 22short, is scoped, is engraved, has a checkered stock, and is quite beautiful. It is also pretty small, has something unusual in the butt plate which I assume can be unscrewed and removed. What is it for? No idea. It is made in Belgium although it states that it is the Browning Arms Company of St. Louis, MO.

Lastly, and something I think is pretty cool, is the scope. It is a Ted Williams model, named after the Hall of Fame Red Sox player and WWII and Korean War pilot.

Not sure what else to add. Please see photos below and, if interested, I can add a few more.

Attachments

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Nice rifle! The item in the but stock is a tubular magazine. The gun is take down model too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh. Just looked it up based on your comment that it is a take down model. Methinks it is a well respected SA 22. The tubular magazine reads somewhat strange to me. Per Gun Digest, https://gundigest.com/gun-collecting/collectors-corner-the-browning-22-auto-rifle you
turn the loading tube in the buttplate to the left and pull it out far enough to expose the port on the right side of the buttstock, insert up to 10 .22 LR cartridges or 16 shorts (if you have a shorts-only model), reach under the receiver in front of the trigger guard, and pull back and release the cocking lever. Was wondering what that port was all about. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
the little browning is a beauty.....usually have a sweet trigger. Graceful and petite yet still an adult rifle. Watch where you put your support hand when shooting. i have a habit of using my support hand as a shelf type hold.....and when that brass ejects it goes right down my wrist cuff on a long sleeve shirt.....

Reactions: lewwallace

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, deputy. The response has been really favorable. I thought it was a good looking little gun but wasn't aware of its background.

Great info about ejecting brass. Seems like a pretty unusual place for it to go!

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Ted Williams was a sears brand and i think they were made by Weaver. Those Brownings are nice little rifles!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have known a few that have one of those. Hen taken care of, and it looks like yours has been, they are sweet little shooters. Sorry for your loss, but y'all should enjoy that one.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, jrbfishn. The more I hear and read about it, the more I like this gun. Appreciate you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts