National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Last Stand on Earth
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20,000 rds reloaded, cracked the indexing arm on my RCBS Pro Chucker 5. That’s not the worst part. Due to the wild fires AND the fact they are “shelter in place” because of the Rona, no one to field the calls, lines are open for 5 hours in the morning, emails (the VM says) will be answered as soon as they can with the skeleton screw and some things may not be able to ship anytime soon, again, wildfires.

What a time to break down... was teaching little brother to run it the last few days. He loaded 600 rds, came by this afternoon and it only made 1 round before it stopped functioning. Guess I can at least manually index for a while but that’s a bit more of a pita than one that is meant to be manually idexed.

· Aim true !
14,170 Posts
Yeah manually indexing a press that should auto index. Gets old fast. I was manually indexing my Lee turret press. They have a plastic ratchet that wears out. It didn't take long before i put a new ratchet in. My Layman brass smith turret is designed to manually index. But it has a nice handle for it. I use it for rifle loads. But do them one step at a time. Ie resize them all 1st then primer and charge and seat So im not always going from die to die with it. i like it for the strength and i can have 4 sets of rifle dies in it at all times.

· Registered
17,525 Posts
I guess that's why i like my dillon 550. Less automation, less moving parts, less problems and can still do many hundreds of round per hour.
I'm sure RCBS will take care of you but it may be awhile with the fires, covid etc.

Reactions: Philmo11

· Registered
17,525 Posts
IMHO the best indexing system is just a ball/spring detent system with manual movement. Really nothing to break and nearly as fast. Again that's just my opinion.

· Registered
54 Posts
Bought my 650 very shortly after they came out (suspect late 1991 or early 1992). Reloading count well into 6 figures. Have done the few upgrades Dillon has come out with. Nothing has worn out - yet. Sold my 550 when I bought the 650 was shooting competition back then bullseye, bowling pins and plates both indoor and outdoor loading between 500 and 1000 rounds a week, loading for two shooters. So far nothing on that 650 has worn out. Had to have the large primer system replaced do to a chain reaction primer explosion up into the safety tube. Discovered that the case stabilizer at the priming station needed to be curved and the tension spring for it needed increased tension, relayed that information to Dillon they made the changes at the factory. Took 3 days before my hearing recovered.

Mike

· Registered
54 Posts
Bought the case loader when they came out, don't remember how long that was after buying the press. It has been pretty reliable, the motor on mine slows way down on slow speed when I put over 500 pieces of 45ACP brass in it. I then have to use high speed on and it works fine. I'll eventually hit Dillon up for a new motor one of these days - I know I'll have to pay for it, only one year on electric parts, but expect they will give me a good deal on it.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.