National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just getting in to shooting and hunting but im on a budget so i was wondering what you guys would recomend as a first hunting rifle. I plan on hunting white tailed deer. Im loking at somthing in the .30-06 or .308 area but was also looking at .243 (is this enough for deer and antelope?) My budget is about 400. Any suggestions?

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,361 Posts
The .243 is a great round for whitetail deer and antelope. I use a .308, but only because my AR-10s are chambered in .308 and I wanted to limit my variety of ammo calibers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Will it work with elk? Or is that a little big? Also because of my local terain most antalope shots are between 400 and 800 yards. My uncle had to to the 800..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill look into those thank you. One gun i was looking into because ive heard good things was the rossi matched pair that was .243 and a 20ga thats why i was wondering if that was enough... also is there a big difference in 30-06 vs 308 i know 308 was a civilian verson of a military moded 30-06 but are there any pros to having one or the other?

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,881 Posts
As far as an excellent flat shooting rifle you can't go wrong with a .270 but the .30-06 is often referred to as the best all around caliber for North American big game. Comes in a good variety of bullet weights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well 800 is the max a family member has done but im looking at least 500 for antalope.deer are only around 40-300.. ive heard the rossi is really accurate but i dont know if the .243 has enough power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thank you. It seems that for most game .243 should work fine. Ill try for the rossi but if i cant get it in my state ill probably go for the savage.

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
Even 400 yd shots are tough. I have been doing quite a bit of 400yd shooting this past year shooting mostly milk jugs which is about the size of the vitals. To be consistent you need a good rifle and scope combo plus be experienced. You wont get that combo for $400. A inexpensive scope is a cheap scope. IMO novice hunters should stick to 200ds or less otherwise you greatly increase the chance of just wounding the game.

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,881 Posts
Ok thank you. It seems that for most game .243 should work fine. Ill try for the rossi but if i cant get it in my state ill probably go for the savage.
Just a personal observation, but where quality is a concern, and it really should be, between the two I would go with the Savage. And sooner or later put a good quality scope on it.

·
AZHerper
4,593 Posts
You said "Will it work with elk?". If you're really considering elk, forget the 243 and go with a .308 or a 30-06. However, if you can get one of the 7mm magnums for your price, that would be the best of all worlds for antelope, deer, and elk even out to the long ranges.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Can't go wrong with a 30-06. It may be the most popular and versatile rifle cartridge out there.

As a beginner you need to stick with popular calibers for several reasons not the least of which is ammo cost. I hear beginners all the time, old timers too, talk about long shots. I bet dollars to doughnuts that any gun or caliber you decide to get will be capable of more accuracy than you.

Get a gun and shoot it then shoot some more. Then if you think the sights or scope is bent or the barrel is crooked or the trigger is malfunctioning get someone that really knows how to shoot and let them see what the gun can really do it may be a humbling experience for you as it was for me when I first started.

For the record I go to the range and sometimes still think the barrel is bent or something is loose but most times I know what the real problem is.

Reactions: deputy

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
do what hunters have done for years.....be patient and wait for your shot..... or get closer.......a lot closer.....and take the shot.

if bow hunters, muzzle loaders, and fans of the 30-30 can do it...........so can you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts