National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a question about the required ammo for breaking in my new Weatherby SA 459. The manual calls for 1-1/8oz and 1330fps min, due to the current state of things I'm having a heck of a time finding that combo, is there an alternate? I called customer service and they were not willing to offer any alternatives. TIA.

·
Registered
19,317 Posts
From Weatherby.com site:

All semi-auto firearms need a break in period for optimum performance and the SA-08 and SA-459 are no different. We have found that a minimum of 100 rounds should be fired using ammunition that reliably cycles the action before the shotgun can be considered to be “broken in”. During the manufacturing process, the action is mechanically cycled 750 times on an automated machine built especially for this purpose. However, actual firing of the shotgun is still needed in order to seat and mate the internal parts of the shotgun.

Recommended Loads for Break In

SA-08:

• 12 gauge: 1 1/8 oz., 1,300 fps or greater
  • 20 gauge: 7/8 oz., 1,300 fps or greater
  • 28 gauge: 3/4 oz., 1,300 fps or greater

SA-459:

• 12 gauge: 1 1/8 oz., 1,330 fps or greater

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The key words are "or greater" most buckshot or slugs fit the bill. Almost any hunting load other than target loads should work.

Reactions: phottomatt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello all, I have a question about the required ammo for breaking in my new Weatherby SA 459. The manual calls for 1-1/8oz and 1330fps min, due to the current state of things I'm having a heck of a time finding that combo, is there an alternate? I called customer service and they were not willing to offer any alternatives. TIA.
From Weatherby.com site:

All semi-auto firearms need a break in period for optimum performance and the SA-08 and SA-459 are no different. We have found that a minimum of 100 rounds should be fired using ammunition that reliably cycles the action before the shotgun can be considered to be “broken in”. During the manufacturing process, the action is mechanically cycled 750 times on an automated machine built especially for this purpose. However, actual firing of the shotgun is still needed in order to seat and mate the internal parts of the shotgun.

Recommended Loads for Break In

SA-08:

• 12 gauge: 1 1/8 oz., 1,300 fps or greater
  • 28 gauge: 3/4 oz., 1,300 fps or greater

SA-459:

• 12 gauge: 1 1/8 oz., 1,330 fps or greater

1 - 4 of 4 Posts