National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep the brass trimmed to length. I always full length resize. I load light loads for range play with shot gun powder. Some are getting hard to extract. I have to use a mallet and tap on the bolt. Im guessing they are swelling a lot?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Are you using published load data or experimenting with your own loads? From what you're saying it sounds like overpressure even with your assumed light loads.

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Its low low pressure cast loads. ie 13 grains of red dot. I shoot a lot of 123 grain copper plated.
Font Slope Parallel Electric blue Rectangle

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im going to load 10 of the casings i use for my red dot with green dot and see how it goes.

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I solved it. I chambered some of my loads. Some stuck. I gave the chamber a good scrubbing too prior. I was thinking carbon too. But any way. I looked closely at the ones that stuck. Im starting to get case head separation. They look like these i dig up via google. But not as severe. So time to retire them casings.
Tableware Tin Cylinder Drink Liquid

Reactions: Philmo11 and RMLamp

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes ineed. Going to double check for now on. I usually just look for cracked necks.

·
Super Moderator
15,061 Posts
At best difficult extraction can lead to the purchase of a stuck case removal tool. At worst a jet of hot gas comes back through the action.

I have a small tool that I made myself from a coat hanger wire. It looks like a cut off coat hanger wire with a 90 turn right at the end and a sharp edge. After about five loading, especially after I have trimmed more that the initial first time, I stick that wire down in the vase and draw it back out feeling for anything but a smooth surface. If I get a dip, I crush the bread and go to the next one.

complete case head separation is a pita.

Alan

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw where some use a paper clip to inspect the inside of casings. Tomorrows project will be to pull all the ones with the ring around the casing.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Live Free
3,623 Posts
I use a bent paper clip, preferably one of the larger and thus heavier gauge clips…

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not sure how many times they were fired.

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting find. I had to pull 14 out of the 50 rounds in the box. 13 of them were Winchester casings. One was starting to show the separation ring. It was a S&B head stamp. Im going to go through all my 30.06 then to be safe.

·
Super Moderator
15,061 Posts
I use a bent paper clip, preferably one of the larger and thus heavier gauge clips…
My ten thumbs find it easier to hold onto the larger coat hanger wire...

Alan

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
I have some coated mechanics wire that i bent a little 1/16" 90 on the end to feel inside the cases. Also to note that many times you will see a sizing mark right in the same area that case head separations happen. It sort of looks the same, just a ring around the case. If you don't feel anything on the inside and there is no obvious cracks on the outside they are usually fine. Sometimes cracks won't be real obvious but if you see any tiny carbon spots there that's certainly a bad sign.

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried the paper clip, I couldn't feel anything. But on some that are like in the pic i can feel an edge on the outside with my finger nail.

·
Salmon Slayer
203 Posts
It’s time to invest in some “new” brass. Good luck.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a bin full on stand by. (y)

Reactions: Caveman Jim

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
I tried the paper clip, I couldn't feel anything. But on some that are like in the pic i can feel an edge on the outside with my finger nail.
I don't think it's the start of head separation then. It's essentially gas cutting or erosion that happens from the inside out. If it's on the outside then it's something in the chamber or one of your dies causing it(probably sizing). Here is what i was talking about with a "sizing ring". Hard to see in the pics but there is a ring around the case near the base. You can sort of feel it but it's not like a ridge or groove, more like a very very slight bump.
Wood Cylinder Gun accessory Office supplies Auto part

1 - 20 of 26 Posts