National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am a fairly new gun owner and I just ran into a problem with my Sig P365 that I have been unable to find information about. I recently cleaned and lubed my P365 and at the end of my function check I loaded a mag and racked the slide repeatedly in order to cycle through my ammo. I noticed a length-wise scratch on the brass of every round that was ejected. I'm not sure if it's scratching as it's being chambered or ejected. The scratches are mostly confined to the brass, although on two rounds it also scratched the jacket on the bullet as well. (See picture) Has anyone ever experienced this problem or know why it is happening? It didn't happen before I took it apart to clean and lube it. Thank you for your help!

The ammo in the picture is 147 grain winchester JHP 9mm. I also cycled10 rounds of 115 grain Federal FMJ with the same scratches in all ten rounds. I have not tested it at the range although I plan to go next week.

IMG_1535.jpg

Attachments

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,961 Posts
Are these scratches a new thing or were they evident before the most recent cleaning?

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Run a swab thru it again, especially the chamber, to remove the "hard speck" that is scratching the rounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure the scratches are a new thing, I've never noticed them before this and now they're on every round I cycle. I'll try cleaning it again when I get the chance and update the thread then. Thank you!

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Maybe a tiny piece of grit or something?

·
Live Free
2,880 Posts
The scratch runs the length of the case, so the cause is close to the chamber mouth. You might be able to locate the problem area by slowly pulling the slide back and examining the case as it comes back, but, if nothing else it is pretty simple to pull the barrel back out and inspect it closely, and maybe clean a bit more.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,914 Posts
Try a different mag and see if it does it.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The cause could be almost anything. Could be a burr on the feedramp. It doesn't look serious enough to worry about it may even go away on it's on through natural wear. A thorough examination of the entire feedpath would be your best bet. Part of what you do during a cleaning is to examine everything and make sure everything looks okay.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Polish feed ramp? Use mothers mag q-tips some use dremels I do not suggest I say hand cotton rags q-tips of course mothers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts