National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the price of brass vs reloads. The shop I deal with also makes up reloads with new brass. It figures out about the same for me to buy their reloads and shoot them up and by the fourth time I reload and shoot them the brass is paid for. If I buy just the brass it's almost the same money and I have to pay for the bullets,primers, and powder. I think I'll get me some .44spl and .44mags the next time I am down there. Has anyone else checked that out? Maybe Gunrnr can shed some light on that. Now I am talking about .38/.357-.44spl/.44mag. I didn't check anything else.:biggrin5:

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
I've been sending my once fired brass all over the country for the past six months for just a bit less than I could get for it scrap. I figure someone can use it for better purposes and I don't intend to make a profit. I've sold once fired 9mm, 40S&W, and .223 in bulk quantities. It's called recycling.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
My honey and I went to Sears the other day, I needed a chuck key for my drill, anyway, the kid that was behind the counter noticed my hubbys Ruger cap and asked him which Ruger he has. My hubby started rattling them off, then the kid then asked about the cost of ammo, it got around to us talking to him and his fellow cashier about the difference of buying new or reloads. They were in awe that they could save money on ammo if they took the time to walk around the range and pick up the brass. I won't give out any prices but the two kids thought a savings of a few bucks a box would be well worth their time. We gave them business cards and we could hear them talking about when the next time they could make it to the range.
Personally I think it is great to get the young-uns involved, even if it is only to explain the components of the various rounds. We will most likely go to the range tomorrow afternoon, we call it brass mining.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
I've been sending my once fired brass all over the country for the past six months for just a bit less than I could get for it scrap. I figure someone can use it for better purposes and I don't intend to make a profit. I've sold once fired 9mm, 40S&W, and .223 in bulk quantities. It's called recycling.
send your .40S&W and .223 my way - I'll pay whatever others are for em. :)

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Phiya, I loaded a bunch and sold some bulk, but let me see what I have left in .40 S&W. All my .223/5.56 is spoken for.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Phiya, I loaded a bunch and sold some bulk, but let me see what I have left in .40 S&W. All my .223/5.56 is spoken for.
that'd be great. :D

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
I don't reload, yet, but I've been saving my .45 ACP brass for a couple months. I have a couple bags of it, I don't get to retrieve all of it because about 25% of it ricochets off the wall and in front of the firing line. One day I'll reload them. Or find them a good home.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I don't get to retrieve all of it because about 25% of it ricochets off the wall and in front of the firing line.
My broom usually tends to find its way in front of the firing line when I sweep up. As far as I'm concerned, I am going to take at least as much brass home as I came with. If I loose too much in front of the line, I skim it off the barrels of brass at the range.

G

·
Would anyone be interested in trading a quantity of brass for a few rounds of reloads? I'm not into reloading (yet) but I do pick up my brass and would love to try out a few of someones favorite or "custom" loads. I just gave away a HUGE box of brass (many different chamberings). I shoot just out in the boonies, didn't want to leave a mess, and I thought I could sell it to the local scrap metal guy. He told me no cuz they wouldn't take it anymore where he unloads his stuff (said they shred the metals like brass and Al and they can't take a chance on a live primer or even whole cartridge being in the mix. Made sense) Is there an outlet that will buy brass cases? Almost all of mine is factory once fired (a few "remanufactured).

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To me most common calibers are not worth shipping unless you are dealing in the 500rd range. Talk it up at the range and local gun shops and you should fine someone there that will buy them off you. Good luck..:thumbsup:

G

·
One more "brass" question

Are the old military cases good for anything (like those 7.62X54R copper/whatever other metal alloy things), Aluminum,Wolf crap, etc.?

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Would anyone be interested in trading a quantity of brass for a few rounds of reloads? I'm not into reloading (yet) but I do pick up my brass and would love to try out a few of someones favorite or "custom" loads. I just gave away a HUGE box of brass (many different chamberings). I shoot just out in the boonies, didn't want to leave a mess, and I thought I could sell it to the local scrap metal guy. He told me no cuz they wouldn't take it anymore where he unloads his stuff (said they shred the metals like brass and Al and they can't take a chance on a live primer or even whole cartridge being in the mix. Made sense) Is there an outlet that will buy brass cases? Almost all of mine is factory once fired (a few "remanufactured).

In any larger quantities, I would pay for the shipping if you're giving it away in a caliber I use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts