National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A traditions buck skinner. But it did not come with an owners manual. It's a 50 cal with 1 66 twist rifling. Im trying to find out the load range. I can not find anything via search. I picked up some goex 2f too. My neighbor has plenty of 4f for the primer.
IMG_7797_d1450.JPG

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,009 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Popeye. The 1st 2 i did find before. The last one is the cake. Looks like 90 grains is safe. Tomorrow im going to see how it does. I'll start at 50 grains with my powerbelts. Thursday starts our flintlock season, My neighbor has plenty of ffffg. He's going to give me some. I don't have any patches and balls on hand. Im going to walmart for flints later. If they have any patches and balls i'll grab some.

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
congrats...........i have only messed with a flint gun one time.......a RH model and i am a lefty........bad combo.....to never be repeated.......:crazy:

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
13,251 Posts
Ahahahahahha, down another rabbit hole you go! You'll like it , they are a lot of fun. If you can try to find some real flints instead of the imitation ones. They seem to work a little better but you should also learn how to knap the edge to re-sharpen it. it's pretty easy to do. I ended up buying some original 18th century flints from IMA. I think they were $10 for several, not expensive at all.

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im back from walmart. Successful in getting patches and lead balls. The flints were 10 bucks for 2. I'll look up sharpening them. I got the gun for 200.00 OTD. He had it listed for 212. He said make it an even 2. I like when i don't have to haggle.

Reactions: deputy

·
Registered
13,251 Posts
Im back from walmart. Successful in getting patches and lead balls. The flints were 10 bucks for 2. I'll look up sharpening them. I got the gun for 200.00 OTD. He had it listed for 212. He said make it an even 2. I like when i don't have to haggle.
If you got the white imitation flints from traditions? That's whats in the gun in the photo. i think you sharpen them on a grinder or with a file. Real flints you knap with a pointed tool to put a edge back on when it starts to wear off after use. Not sure if it's needed with the fake flints or not but generally you use a piece of thin lead or leather in the jaws to keep the flint from cracking and moving around.

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah they are the white ones. The leather that came with the gun was brittle. I used a thin lead strip.

Reactions: Square target

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the gun shoots powerbelts very well. Placed 3 rounds right next to another. 1st shot i missed the target. Caught me off guard. Found out it has a hair trigger. Didn't get to try a patch and ball. It got stuck part way in the bore putting it in. My buddy got the idea of trying some of his black powder bore cleaner as a lube to get it in. We got it in. But it would not fire. I think the powder got to wet. So now i have the fire hole open and drying out. Hopefully i'll be able to fire it. If not i'll have to get a bullet puller. We tried my buddies. But his is a 54 cal puller.

·
Registered
13,251 Posts
Putting 3 that close is pretty good for a flintlock for the first time. It takes a bit getting used to the slight delay in shooting. Sucks on the stuck ball, were you using .010 or .015 patches?

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure of the patch thickness. It does not say on the package. They are thunder cloud by Allen. I was shooting at 40 yards off my caldwell tackdriver shooting rest.

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok i checked the patches with my calipers. They are .015.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
That overdose of bore lube probably killed the power in the barrel. .010 is the proper patch thickness if you're shooting a .490 round ball I use a rawhide mallet and a short starter to get the ball started. After the ball is started the rifling is engraved into the ball and there is a lot less resistance in pushing the ball further down the barrel til it is seated.

Try removing the vent screw and dumping the powder charge out. then trickle about 20 gr of fresh powder in replace the vent screw and take the rifle out and shoot the stuck ball out or try one of those CO2 gadgets to blow the stuck ball out.

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah i have the vent screw out now. I tried to blow it out with compressed air. It did blow out some of the powder at least. I'll try getting more out tomorrow. And put some fresh power in too. Im going to see how a ball and patch fits in my inline with a fresh bore later then. At least with that i can take the breech plug out if needed.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Be careful using lead instead leather around your flint.
Some flint lock makers like Chambers will void the warranty. The extra weight of the lead as compared to the leather in addition to less
cushioning when striking the frizzen can mess up a good lock.
Some of the best flints I have found are french amber, spark something fierce.
Good luck, smoke poles are addicting.

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the ball out. Ended up using a puller. Local mom and pop shop had one. Strange thing is the patch is not to be found. Maybe it burned up trying to shoot the ball out.? But anyways im good to go. I'll call traditions and ask about the lead then too around the flint.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts