National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
My thoughts are how are you going to bring it into fruition.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I suspect they would frown upon manufacturing any gun parts or aything that looked like a gun part. Rifled barrels are hard to manufacturer without the proper, very expensive, equipment. All the custom gun builders I know of buy barrels from barrel manufacturers.

Reactions: Square target

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I didn't realize you planned on actually making the parts. Are you going to mill them from billet steel? Do you have the skills and machinary necessary to accomplish this?

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i planned on making them myself out of whatever scrap steel the school has to offer. by no means am i expecting a high quality firearm just something that works. as for skill and machinery, i think anyone with some common sense could cut out the pieces and its a welding shop so they have grinders and such. it will be much easier to make the parts at the school shop than at home with a dremmel and angle grinder.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,955 Posts
I'm afraid that without some advanced metallurgy knowledge you're gonna end up maiming or killing yourself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
People used to build guns this way. Look at the history of guys like John Browning and Harry Pope. They built their first guns from scratch as kids. Some are not quite as famous because they prolly got dead doing it; so be really careful, spend a lot of time doing research and remember: a long piece of string is your best friend!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm afraid that without some advanced metallurgy knowledge you're gonna end up maiming or killing yourself.
I agree with Popeye. This is a VERY bad idea for a number of reasons.

Now, I'll point out something that should be very obvious. Lever action rifles are bolt rifles that use a hammer - just like my Marlin 30-30 is. So, certainly modifying the lever action rifles to be bolt action instead wouldn't be all that difficult. What would be the point though or any gain from doing so? Mostly it would just be extra unnecessary parts. Such a rifle would have more parts and no better accuracy. There are plenty of .22's out there bolt action and semi auto. If you want a quick change of magazines in what is basically .22 caliber, get an AR 15 which is .223 and not a rim fire cartridge. It has better accuracy for longer ranges too.

This is a Marlin 981T - it is tube fed instead of magazine fed and shoots .22 short, .22 long rifle and .22 long.
Marlin Model 981T

There are also bolt action magazine fed .22's. You aren't designing something new here and the actual gun companies are very good at doing this. If you want to build a rifle from the ground up, start by assembling an AR 15 from a stripped lower receiver. Then go on from there. A child's drawing of a concept for a rifle isn't ever going to become a rifle and no school will help you get it made either.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'll add to this - my Lee Enfield .303 is a bolt action, magazine fed rifle. So are Russian Mosin Nagants. Yes, the Lee Enfield DOES have a hammer - just not a hammer in the traditional configuration like a pistol does or like a lever action rifle does. The hammer comes straight back out of the bolt. Squeeze the trigger, the hammer springs back into the bolt, hits the firing pin and fires the cartridge. I honestly see no market for your idea. If gun companies did, they would have already done it. I can thin of a lot better ways to build an innovative new type rifle than adding a 1911 type pistol hammer to a .22 bolt action rifle.

My .303 is just below my Marlin 30/30 in the top of my rifle rack.

View attachment 14775

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with Popeye. This is a VERY bad idea for a number of reasons.

Now, I'll point out something that should be very obvious. Lever action rifles are bolt rifles that use a hammer - just like my Marlin 30-30 is. So, certainly modifying the lever action rifles to be bolt action instead wouldn't be all that difficult. What would be the point though or any gain from doing so? Mostly it would just be extra unnecessary parts. Such a rifle would have more parts and no better accuracy. There are plenty of .22's out there bolt action and semi auto. If you want a quick change of magazines in what is basically .22 caliber, get an AR 15 which is .223 and not a rim fire cartridge. It has better accuracy for longer ranges too.

This is a Marlin 981T - it is tube fed instead of magazine fed and shoots .22 short, .22 long rifle and .22 long.
Marlin Model 981T

There are also bolt action magazine fed .22's. You aren't designing something new here and the actual gun companies are very good at doing this. If you want to build a rifle from the ground up, start by assembling an AR 15 from a stripped lower receiver. Then go on from there. A child's drawing of a concept for a rifle isn't ever going to become a rifle and no school will help you get it made either.
i understand that there are plenty of rifles that will do exactly the same thing the point of the project is not to do something new or something better but just to do it. i like making my own things and working with my hands. By building this myself it will be one of a kind, instead of something everyone has.

as for the concerns of the whole thing blowing up and hurting/killing me. i'm no idiot i don't intend of holding the thing and pulling the trigger until i knwo its safe. i will be testing it by setting the gun up stationary with a string on the trigger and me safely behind cover.

also id like to state that this "child's drawing" as you call it is no different than any other schematic/blueprint save for the fact that it doesn't have measurements and such all over it. every gun design in existence started with a drawing so how can you say that it will never be made?

·
56,955 Posts
Sorry. I do not see a firearm 'design'.

I see a rudimentary sketch obviously drawn by someone who has little understanding of the internal workings of a firearm but who seems to be caught up in the 'tacticool' look.

Using 'scrap metal left lying around' to make any rifle receiver is a stupid proposition, not to mention... extremely dangerous!

Reactions: Square target

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its not supposed to look cool its supposed to work and just because the drawing in simple doesn't mean it doesn't constitute a design. and for your information i have actually done a lot of research on how firearms work and in my opinion anyone with at least some intelligence can understand how they work. it doesn't need a bunch of fancy parts and dohickeys to function properly and it seems that your under the impression that anything that isn't manufactured by a big company is garbage. also fyi scrap steel can be very high quality and the steel available is perfectly capable of doing the job.

·
56,955 Posts
Sonny. I'm a machinist and gunsmith with approximately 40 years of experience.

Pull in your little horns. Sit down. Shut up. Listen to your betters. You may get to keep all your fingers and your good looks it you heed my counsel.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Op, I like your idea. Are you planning on producing this, or is this for your own amusement? Everyone starts somewhere, even the greats.

Having said that, you need to find some professional assistance with your endeavor. There are people out there with the experience, knowledge and skills that can help make your idea a reality. I suggest you seek them out, listen to them and learn from them. Good luck.

Edit to add; Just read the rest of the thread,,,, The type of person I'm referring to is already posting in this thread.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well your a snobby one i don't care how experienced you are, maybe if you had given some useful advice on bettering the design i would be more inclined to give you some respect. I would expect that a gunsmith would have a little more respect and enthusiasm for an aspiring gunsmith/designer.

Also i'm a woman so don't call me sonny. unless you want to be called girley.

either way im done with this conversation i hope some others can give me useful input.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Well your a snobby one i don't care how experienced you are, maybe if you had given some useful advice on bettering the design i would be more inclined to give you some respect. I would expect that a gunsmith would have a little more respect and enthusiasm for an aspiring gunsmith/designer.

Also i'm a woman so don't call me sonny. unless you want to be called girley.

either way im done with this conversation i hope some others can give me useful input.
I think you need to calm down and understand those who know a LOT about guns. Yes, your drawing is a child's drawing. My son made the same kind of drawings when he was 7 years old. So, that is not a 'concept' for a gun. It certainly isn't a blueprint. Do what you want, but don't blame us for giving you honest advice. You will need to learn something about metallurgy, machining, tolerances, ballistics - just to name few. A dremel will not make that gun reality. Only precision machining to tolerances in the very few thousands of inches will make it so.

If you want to 'do it yourself' then buy a 1911 pistol 80% frame and learn the machining to make it into a working pistol. You can't just make a child's drawing and say "I'm going to make this a gun" when you have no knowledge of what you are attempting to do. Popeye is correct. You do it wrong and it WILL blow up in your face. I now, I had one design I made blow up on me. Fortunately, I was smart enough that I didn't get hurt in any way and it was back to the drawing board. I wasn't making child drawings on napkins either. I made blueprints. My error was a miscalculation for chamber pressure.

You really need to shelve this desire until you learn a LOT more. Apparently you know nothing about what you are asking

I think we are now done with this conversation.

Popeye, please lock the thread and delete the kid's account.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.