National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So gun season is still 2 weeks away for me but I decided to go to the stand and sit the morning hoping to see a pig or coyote. I have a feeder down a trail about 160 yards from the stand. Had over 2 dozen turkeys (hens and roosters) enjoying the corn. The deer even left because there were so many turkey's. I caught movement way down the trail and put glass on it hoping it was a yote. Turns out a big bobcat was headed for the turkey's. Put the gun up hoping it would get close enough when it rushed the turkeys. Started looking for it and it had moved off the side of the trail. I stayed on the ready and the turkeys were to, they had banded together. All head were up and they were squawking up a storm but not cat. Then i noticed movement with the flock of birds, the bobcat was walking around inside the band of turkeys. I was expecting them to fly but they didn't, just moved out of the cats way. It eventually end up on the edge of the band and my quick shot missed (180 yds) no excuse! Still was interesting to see all this and it sort of made my morning (except for the miss). Next time out I'll have some targets to see what I doing wrong with the shots.

BTW, rifle was my Savage 12v in .223 shooting Hornady 62gn BTHP being pushed by 26 gn of CFE 223

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
How did you miss at 180? I’d bet you could hit a grapefruit at 200 yards with that gun, all day long. When something like that happens to me I get a real bad confidence complex. Confidence in my set up and myself. I hate when that happens.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly why I’m going to set some targets up Friday afternoon and see what’s going on. I had that rifle on the range a month ago and it was right on. Most likely it’s me.

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
I'd imagine a flock of wild turkeys could put a few crimps in a bobcat. Turkeys are big strong birds and getting spurred and clobbered by turkey wings may have been something the cat had already experienced...

Alan

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out yesterday and setup targets @ 100, 160, and 200 yds. Started on the 100 yd target from the stand and put the first 2 in the red on a pellet reactive target with a 3/4" center. Moved to the target at 160 and the next four shots not even touching the target (6" stick on). All stop. Today I'm cleaning it and taking the scope off and checking mounts, also pulling it off the stock and checking fit. I have a thought that maybe the issue is with my load and the 62 gn bullet is becoming unstable as it loses velocity. I would think the 26" barrell with 1/9 twist should love this load but who knows. More to follow ............

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that didn't take long. Set the rifle up in the gun vice, pulled the bolt and started looking evething over and the screw on the front mount if missing!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually the front ring mount threads are stripped which is why the screw fell out. Going to replace with a set of Burris rings. Probably happened when we were shooting up the pigs last month.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
26,341 Posts
Mount threads are stripped? Ya need to use an inch-pound torque wrench to mount scopes and rings.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Off to the range today. 50 yds first. 1st shot high, adjusted, then 2 more.
Line Font Circle Gas Parallel

Then out to 100 yrds. Knew the 1st would be high, adjusted, 2nd a tad left, adjusted, next two were money.

Circle Symmetry Recreation Rectangle Tints and shades

1 - 15 of 15 Posts