National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of these pipes up in my email from Palmetto for $359, $404 and change after tax and shipping. Probably shouldn’t have but I jumped on it. Black Aces Tactical Pro Series L 12 ga. I’ve looked at them a few times but always held off. Seemed like the price was right.

Says silver, but the reviews on the finish are all over the place. I am guessing from the comments that it’s supposed to be matte nickel. Probably not the most robust finish. I’ve read some pretty bad reviews of damaged finishes on the stocks and receivers. Hoping those are the outliers and not the norm.

Still on the lookout for a stainless hammered coach gun…

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
I’ve seen them in one of our local gun shops. Chinese I believe. That’s doesn’t make it a bad gun but who knows. I’ve bought a few inexpensive shotguns and just did the other day. Keep your expectations where they should be and play with it. You may even like it. I always say you should have a gun that if it were to get run over by a quad or horse, you wouldn’t be crying. It’s probably a good truck gun.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
My guess would be a good comparison to the flood of Turkish shotgun on the market. Decent utility grade gun but probably won't stand up to being taken to the range every other week shooting a 100 or more rounds without problems. Toss the birds head grip, no one needs that type of pain in their life.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve seen them in one of our local gun shops. Chinese I believe. That’s doesn’t make it a bad gun but who knows. I’ve bought a few inexpensive shotguns and just did the other day. Keep your expectations where they should be and play with it. You may even like it. I always say you should have a gun that if it were to get run over by a quad or horse, you wouldn’t be crying. It’s probably a good truck gun.
I got this from an article on firearm blog:

“While the aluminum receivers are made in the USA, the barrels are made in Turkey and exported by Huntgroup.”

So far, that’s all I know.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
interesting that the receivers are American and parts from Turkey....and personally i view Turkey no different than U.S. guns.....

i have seen several videos here and there on that levergun.....the main thing that caught my attention is possible weak ejection.....seems to not throw the hull out as it is more of a dribble out of the action on ejection...
but if that is the design, then so be it.....very dependent on how much gusto you work the lever....more so than a pump it would seem.

i have researched the auto version.....more as the poor boy special that is half the price of the mossberg auto riot.....and a third the cost of the FN auto riot....

but that is as far as i got....

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just wanted a lever 12ga. Thought it’d be a better option than the Century option. Weak ejection is ok as long as they actually eject. Probably better with a nickel finish but we will see. Heard a lot of folks had quite a break in period before things loosened up.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I had good news to share but… the gun came in and I was less that happy with what I saw.

Sleeve Grey Clock Gadget Font

The screws in the butt pad were so tight we nearly stripped out the heads trying to remove it.

Rust stains in the “nickel” plating. I don’t know what they actually used but it’s unlike any nickel I’ve ever seen.

Bumper Automotive exterior Grey Luggage and bags Bag

Mind you, these pics are AFTER cleaning the surface. Those are stains in the metal.

I pulled the thing apart. After the barrel was cleaned, this is what I pulled off the surface with a little polish I to remove stains off the barrel.

Wood Textile Sleeve Grey Fawn

I haven’t even started the receiver or the mag tube yet. I wasn’t able to get it all out of the barrel but I got most of it. I will post something on function after I get this disaster cleaned up.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Piece missing from the stippling.

Brown Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Flooring

a squirt of Brite Bore to clean off the tacky crap off the lever and the paint rubbed right off with my thumb. Left the primer behind. You can see some of the paint in the picture below toward the bottom of the pic. It all came off except a couple spots.

Wood Automotive tire Tire Tints and shades Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
Can’t wait to hear how well it functions. I hope it a pleasant surprise.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The action feels relatively smooth but I haven’t put a shell in it yet. I didn’t expect a Benelli but I also didn’t expect the paint to come off when cleaned either.

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
Yeah I’m sure you’re a little disappointed but the proof is in the shooting. I’ve wanted one of those tacticool range toy 12 ga bullpup semi autos but I know there’re fraught with function problems and no company support so I’ve stayed away. One of the guys in my hunting club hunts pheasants with one of those Henry lever 410’s. Why? I have no idea but I guess he’s having fun with it. If it’s fun to shoot, then that’s all that matters. It may look better with the black lever.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I fired 11. The first 5, rounds 1,2&3 cycled fine but 3 was difficult to extract. 4&5 were the same but didn’t clear the chamber.

The next 6, 1,2,3 cycled fine but 4,5&6 didn’t clear the chamber on extraction. They just kind of spun around in there. Might have to burn a few boxes and see if it improves. That a tomorrow task.

I oiled it up pretty good before I took it out but may take a bit to work it in the nooks and crannies.

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
On some of the older or less expensive shotguns I’ve had, I’ve polished the chambers. I wrap a cotton bore swab with 2000 grit and use a drill to spin it. It doesn’t take long to make that chamber smooth as a babysitter’s butt. It sure helps those hulls slip right out.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I’m sure you’re a little disappointed but the proof is in the shooting. I’ve wanted one of those tacticool range toy 12 ga bullpup semi autos but I know there’re fraught with function problems and no company support so I’ve stayed away. One of the guys in my hunting club hunts pheasants with one of those Henry lever 410’s. Why? I have no idea but I guess he’s having fun with it. If it’s fun to shoot, then that’s all that matters. It may look better with the black lever.
Lever looks parkerized. I can live with it but primer offers little protection for the metal. I’m not as much disappointed as I am irritated.

There is about 1/4” side to side play in the lever. I haven’t investigated yet if that can be corrected easily.

As for the finish, it a little bit better but I wasn’t able to get all the stains out of it. I’ll touch up the stock with some tung oil. That’s what it looks like is on it.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On some of the older or less expensive shotguns I’ve had, I’ve polished the chambers. I wrap a cotton bore swab with 2000 grit and use a drill to spin it. It doesn’t take long to make that chamber smooth as a babysitter’s butt. It sure helps those hulls slip right out.
I’ll have to try that. I’ve used mag polish in cylinders before with a drill. It’s about 3,000 grit.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Couple more things I want to mention. The wood stock is nice. Mine just has a piece missing from the grip texture.

Action is smooth but not tight at all. I mentioned the side to side play, but the lever also has a bounce back when you close up the action. I looked at it inside and it appears to be as designed. It’s unnerving when you are used to a tight lockup.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the difficult extraction I encountered earlier may not have been the extraction that was the problem. I just picked it up to show one of the boys any went to cycle the lever and it was bound up. One I got it to open, it seemed fine. Something isn’t quite right in there. I’ll investigate tomorrow.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sold it to the neighbor for what I paid. He was going to order one anyway. We ran a box of 7.5 target shells through it and seemed to run fine.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
is there still a china import lever shotgun?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts