National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a belly of significant size. It goes well over my belt. I have a Glock 19 in a Kydex holster. What can some of you with my body configuration with greater experience share about the best way to carry and access your weapon?

fyi, I often have to wear a tucked shirt.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
3 o'clock position if your a righty. Or 9 if a lefty. When im in the woods i carry on both sides. 44 mag on my right. And a 10mm 1911 on my left, It's good to practice cross draw when your training.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3 o'clock position if your a righty. Or 9 if a lefty. When im in the woods i carry on both sides. 44 mag on my right. And a 10mm 1911 on my left, It's good to practice cross draw when your training.
I like 3 o’clock personally, but it interferes with my suspenders. Belts don’t work alone for us portly fellows. Add a gun to a belt and it’s easy to drag the whole works to your ankles.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I pocket carry. I'm fat and I don't wear much, it's hot hear. Access in a pinch would be a problem, but I'll just tell the bg to wait......
what do you carry and what holster do you use?

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
I carry a Kahr P380 in a Sticky Holster, #3 I think. It was "sticky" for about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
different strokes.........i am of large build.......and lazy....i do not want to work for the gun or style.......i prefer the gun and style to work for me....

and therefore i do not like to put effort into concealment with special belts, holsters, change of clothing styles........not to mention the hit or miss of shelling out the bucks for a specific owb/iwb holster and then decide i don't like the holster or decide to change guns and need to buy a different holster....been there/done that.

pocket carry of a small gun really simplified things.......i front pocket carry a ruger LCR 327 mag.......with an inexpensive desantis revolver pocket holster that accommodate various makes/models of small frame snubs. it does not matter if its church, yard work, a day at the mall, or running to the convenience store......pocket carry works for most all occasions and most all manners of clothing.......for me.

on rare occasion i use a fanny pack to carry large.....its not gun specific and i have carried many different models up to 4" k frame revolvers and duty-size autos with no problems......but i still prefer to go small gun and pocket carry.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
If your belly is big enough, just tuck it into the gut fold and it will be concealed and secure.

·
Super Moderator
11,345 Posts
I use a Galco belly band holster. It's not especially easy to tuck the shirt in over it but it is possible and it works quite well.

--Wag--

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi,

I have a belly of significant size. It goes well over my belt. I have a Glock 19 in a Kydex holster. What can some of you with my body configuration with greater experience share about the best way to carry and access your weapon?.
Improve your diet and exercise......

That or buy a Glock 42 and pocket carry.

·
Registered
91 Posts
different strokes.........i am of large build.......and lazy....i do not want to work for the gun or style.......i prefer the gun and style to work for me....

and therefore i do not like to put effort into concealment with special belts, holsters, change of clothing styles........not to mention the hit or miss of shelling out the bucks for a specific owb/iwb holster and then decide i don't like the holster or decide to change guns and need to buy a different holster....been there/done that.

pocket carry of a small gun really simplified things.......i front pocket carry a ruger LCR 327 mag.......with an inexpensive desantis revolver pocket holster that accommodate various makes/models of small frame snubs. it does not matter if its church, yard work, a day at the mall, or running to the convenience store......pocket carry works for most all occasions and most all manners of clothing.......for me.

on rare occasion i use a fanny pack to carry large.....its not gun specific and i have carried many different models up to 4" k frame revolvers and duty-size autos with no problems......but i still prefer to go small gun and pocket carry.
When I first started carrying about 15 years ago, I carried a full sized CZ-75 in my waist with an extra magazine on my belt. After a while when I realized that I wasn't going to be caught in gang fire in my upper middle class suburb, I started carrying a a Kel-tec p11 sub compact 9mm. It was more comfortable by a mile, but it still reminded me that it was there regardless of what I wore or what type of holster that I had, so I swapped her out for the new Kel-tec pf-9, which was lighter and significantly thinner. It was more comfrotable in the waist, but it still came with all the annoying things with carrying in the waist, so I tried pocket carrying it. This was much more comfortable, and I was shocked at how quick I could draw it with the flex material and big pockets that a lot of the the jeans use these days. I also liked that I could have the element of surprise with pocket carry. Like, "give me your wallet".....sure thing pal....pew pew pew. Eventually, I decided to go down to an even smaller pistol with the S&W bodyguard. I loved the gun, but it was a light striking POS that went back 3 times without being 100% reliable, so I went with the Remington RM-380, which is what I carry now when I carry, but I plan on getting a Seecamp 380 this summer once work picks back up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Don't know if I would say I have a "belly of significant size," but I am a bigger guy. I use what many would call an appendix holster, but carry in the 3 o'clock position. Mine is not tuckable, but I'm sure you can find tuckable versions of what I use.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Seems we have these discussions every year. I used a shoulder holster for a long time but as I got older found that the Florida heat just made that impossible. I like a full size gun (big hands) and have moved to a Kimber Ultra (hand me down). I found a nice shoulder bag with built in holster which has worked out well. I can get to the weapon just as fast and don't really need to draw, just shoot through the bag. Plus is the bag can carry a plethora of other things (did I just use that word).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am also a big bellied guy, and I have the same problem. I like the Kydex holster, but it rubs my side raw. I decided to wear it one night, since I was going to the ATM at 2 o'clock in the morning. as well as grocery shopping after I left the ATM. By the time I got home, my left side (I'm left handed) was rubbed so raw that it was on the verge of bleeding....and that was only after wearing it for a few hours.(I was carrying my Sigsauer P938, 9mm handgun.) I tried a leather holster, but being fat, it smashed the holster, making it difficult to draw the gun or to put it back in the holster. I need to carry a gun inside the waistband, since I can't tolerate the heat of summer, so I can't wear, long baggy shirts to cover an outside the waistband holster during the summer.

I saw one comment that said to go on a diet and exercise...that only works if you are young. When you are old like me, that doesn't work. I pedal a stationary exercise bike every day for 60 minutes, and if anyone else ate the amount of food that I eat every day, they would starve. (3 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, and a tossed salad for dinner, yet I weigh 295 pounds for some stupid reason..) I have a concealed carry permit, but I can't carry because of the holster problem. I can't get a pocket handgun, because my pockets are always filled with stuff that I use every day. It seems that my only solution is to get large, baggy shirts, cut off the long sleeves, and wear them all year long, including the hot summer months, and just sweat to death.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I like the Kydex holster, but it rubs my side raw.

I tried a leather holster, but being fat, it smashed the holster, making it difficult to draw the gun or to put it back in the holster.
Reholstering isn't as big of a concern as drawing, but fixing one will likely fix both. To that end, it may do you well to try a hybrid holster, such as those made by Versacarry. Kydex wrapped in leather to give good structure with (hopefully) less chafing. I use full leather, but comfortable for me doesn't mean comfortable for all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am also a big bellied guy, and I have the same problem. I like the Kydex holster, but it rubs my side raw. I decided to wear it one night, since I was going to the ATM at 2 o'clock in the morning. as well as grocery shopping after I left the ATM. By the time I got home, my left side (I'm left handed) was rubbed so raw that it was on the verge of bleeding....and that was only after wearing it for a few hours.(I was carrying my Sigsauer P938, 9mm handgun.) I tried a leather holster, but being fat, it smashed the holster, making it difficult to draw the gun or to put it back in the holster. I need to carry a gun inside the waistband, since I can't tolerate the heat of summer, so I can't wear, long baggy shirts to cover an outside the waistband holster during the summer.

I saw one comment that said to go on a diet and exercise...that only works if you are young. When you are old like me, that doesn't work. I pedal a stationary exercise bike every day for 60 minutes, and if anyone else ate the amount of food that I eat every day, they would starve. (3 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, and a tossed salad for dinner, yet I weigh 295 pounds for some stupid reason..) I have a concealed carry permit, but I can't carry because of the holster problem. I can't get a pocket handgun, because my pockets are always filled with stuff that I use every day. It seems that my only solution is to get large, baggy shirts, cut off the long sleeves, and wear them all year long, including the hot summer months, and just sweat to death.
I feel you, brother.

some ideas I’ve played with were a kydex holster carried at 4 o’clock. If that’s too irritating, you might want to try to line it with something soft on the skin side. You could also consult with a custom holster maker to address your unique body issues.

on the weight loss, I completely understand. It does seem like your weight can get stuck in a range and, no matter what you do, it doesn’t want to go lower. If you haven’t already done it, get your endocrine system checked out. Hormonal imbalances can make it impossible to lose weight. Another thing to look into is weight training. I’ve personally found it more effective than aerobics for weight loss. It seems to boost your resting metabolism quite a bit. I’m bummed that I can’t go to the gym because of this damn virus, but I’m doing what I can at home. Let me know if any of this works for you.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,927 Posts
Excess pounds go on with amazing rapidity. It takes considerable time to remove said pounds.

Six or eight years ago I gained 40+ lbs in less than six months. Weighed in excess of 260 lbs. It took two years of walking the dogs a total of five to ten miles a day plus a return to dieting to remove that extra weight.

Concealed carry? I went to a shoulder rig.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts