National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I CC a .38 special, what is the best way to carry some additional ammo? Is there something out there for that? I did some searching online and didn't see anything. I carry the .38 in a bellyband with a spot for an extra ammo.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
What type of .38 are you carrying?

Go here and check out the products. They should give you an idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a good idea; the extra ammo in the belt. (As long as its comfortable and does not become visible or fall out.)

I would strongly recommend using the Safariland speed loaders. They make reloading very fast. They are better than the HK speed loaders (in my opinion) that have a knob that you have to twist to release the shells. The Safariland loaders release the shells by applying pressure on the loader against the cylinder, so you don't have to take your hand off the grip while loading.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,163 Posts
A revolver, depending on size, carries between five and eight rounds. In any likely self defense situation here in the States, if you need more rounds than that, you are somewhere you don't belong and more ammunition will do you little good.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
if you need more rounds than that, you are somewhere you don't belong and more ammunition will do you little good.
Agreed. But if it is just a peace of mind thing then ok.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I carry a .38 a lot and I also carry one speed strip which I'll probably never use. If I haven't got it over in 5 I doubt that 6 more is going to be any help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What type of .38 are you carrying?

Go here and check out the products. They should give you an idea.
S&W .38 Special. Thanks for the website. I checked it out and found what I wanted. Probably don't need more than 5 shots, like already mentioned, but better safe than sorry.:13:

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
I carry a .38 a lot and I also carry one speed strip which I'll probably never use. If I haven't got it over in 5 I doubt that 6 more is going to be any help.
But what about the FBI gunfight in tactics and training where the FBI and assailant shot over 100 rounds in 3 1/2 minutes. :lol:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm not going to tell you that I always carry extra ammo when carrying concealed (shame on me), but it can't be a bad idea. Statistically you'll never get in a gun fight, so then why bother carrying at all if you want to rely on gun fight stats. I think it's very wise to always have extra ammo whenever possible. Running out of ammo is a bad thing and can cause you to get killed real fast. Like I said in a previous post: carry as much ammo as you can without being uncomfortable. Gun fights are rare, and many do end quickly with a few shots are less, but they are also very unpredictable. Many of us carry winter survival equipment in our cars, and will probably never need it, and similarly we have smoke alarms that statistically we are not likely to need either, but who wants to take that chance. Why should we go through all of the effort to be armed with a handgun to be prepared for a shootout, but yet not be ready for an extended shootout? Why is carrying extra ammo a bad idea?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts

When I carried my S&W model 38 bodyguard I always carried a speed strip also.

I don't plan on joining any FBI gunfights so I can't imagine a situation where I would need much more ammo on the street.

In the woods I usually have a much bigger caliber and several mags of ammo.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
reloads

HKS speed loaders are the best insurance, from my humble experience. Safariland speedloaders are harder to use. Bianchi speed strips are convenient to carry because they'e flat (I carry them as a second reload) - but dumping all 5 or 6 rounds into the cylinder at one time is very quick and convenient - although you need to practice reloading many times to be proficient.
Not carrying at least one reload is, to my way of thinking, at best just plain lazy and at worst being overly confident or naive. For the little bit of extra weight - there is no reason not to carry an extra reload. Badguys don't always roam around as individuals and most of the time not as doubles - most are in packs of three or more - at least around the area where I live and work. Most, but not all, predators will be detered simply by the presentation of a firearm and the appearance of being willing and capable of defending oneself - but if the situation should arise where you empty your piece and still find yourself in danger, then you will either wish for or be glad for that extra reload. Just my humble opinion = have been out of ammo during a fire fight and was not happy about it. It won't happen again.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Well, I always carry extra ammo. I went through all of the hoops to get my carry permit to prepare for the worst case scenario so I might as well take it all the way. When I carry a revolver, I carry HKS speedloaders in Desantis "Second Six" holders. They have adjustable tension and belt sizes and carry the speedloader half inside the belt for greater concealment. I also like the fact that the top of the speedloader is exposed. When I carry outdoors I often have a different (heavy) load in one of the loaders and I have the top of that one colored black.

·
Politically Incorrect
183 Posts
I haven't started carrying my Ruger speed six yet, but when I do, I'm thinking of just carrying extra rounds in my 'watch pocket', or maybe a speed strip. A speedloader seems just too bulky for trying to dig out of a pocket.

6 loose rounds in a dedicated pocket may end up being faster than a speedloader I have to dig out from a tight pocket with other items.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
That is why I use the speed loader holder. It make for a fairly quick access and reload.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I CC a .38 special, what is the best way to carry some additional ammo? Is there something out there for that? I did some searching online and didn't see anything. I carry the .38 in a bellyband with a spot for an extra ammo.
I use Bianchi Speed Strips..They lay flat and will fit in jeans watch pocket. Keep them in car in ashtray.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts