National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not actually scared of an impending invasion, but its always better to be prepared for the worst right. So i was wondering what your opinions are for a rifle for this...
Under the unlikely instance we are invaded by another country or an alien species... I want one rifle to be packed up and ready to go. Something battle worthy that i could protect my family with in guerilla like combat...
Dont really care about size or weight. Im thinking AK, AR-15, or M-14. Im going more towards the M-14 for larger caliber and range. What do you all think...

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Interesting question.

My only rifles are a .22, a 9mm, an AR15 and a .30-.30

I'd go with my .30.30 lever action, open sights. Ammo would be easier to scrounge in most stores than the .223

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mr. dudeman99, glad you joined us.

I'd be more worried about our own forces putting down an imagined or concocted "insurrection" than an invasion by a foreign force. That has already occurred -- but they're armed with rakes, shovels, mops and brooms -- at least for now.

My SHTF battery is my Mini-14 or M-4gery and either a S&W Mod 66 or H&K USP40c. But .38 or .357 ammo would likely be easier to find than .40 S&W. There's a large amount of 5.56 around, if one knows where to look.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
If I am planning on staying in my house:
A 12 ga shotgun.

If I am planning on staying in a populated area (Suburbia):
Either a .30-30 lever action rifle or a SKS carbine.

If I am planning on heading for the hills:
Either a M1A, a FAL or a Garand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please Mods, if I'm inappropriate, move,delete or ban me. Why are LEO's carrying AR 15's and other patrol rifles while the population watches and aquires 308's and 30.06's? Are LEO's required to wait longer/closer before taking action than the average civilian?
Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
First off, you would never be slapped for asking a legitimate question. That's not how this forum works (please read Travis's statement at the top, under the banner). The way to a warning or worse is to display disrespect and/or disparagement of other members, overt bigotry in form of name-calling or threatening. Aside from that or discussion of illegal activities or threats to do same, we are a pretty open bunch.

Regarding LEOs carrying AR-type weapons, I'm going to ask SatanzBountyHunter and some of our other members with more recent LE experience than mine to help out here, but the .223 Rem / 5.56mm cartridge is a good choice for urban/interior use because it does not penetrate like .308 Win and larger. It is also available in smaller packages such as the M-4 and older CARs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cecil6304 said:
Please Mods, if I'm inappropriate, move,delete or ban me. Why are LEO's carrying AR 15's and other patrol rifles while the population watches and aquires 308's and 30.06's? Are LEO's required to wait longer/closer before taking action than the average civilian?
Am I missing something?
LEO's look for hi-cap, low recoil. 308's and 30-06's will go through 5 or 6 layers of dry wall before stopping leaving LEO's responsible for any accidents.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would go with my M1a, bushmaster, and 12 ga shotgun for long guns. 308 and 223 ammo being so common.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The Federal Gov't subsidizes the cost of ARs and M-16s purchased by State and Local LE organizations. Slightly used surplus M-16s sometimes are given FREE of charge, other times as low as less than 400 bucks. At indoor ranges 5.56 and .308 have similar penetration through hard media, something on the order of 20 plus layers of drywall. 30.06 ball rounds will penetrate all the drywall in your house plus 6 to 8" of brick, again at indoor ranges.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Oh my god, are you joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My AK-47 by a mile! There is 7.62 ammo all over the place, and if a foriegn army invaded they would probably be using AK's so ammo would be plentiful off the dead bad guys. Not to mention it is undoubtably the most reliable gun on the face of the Earth. Know the m-14 is a fine, fine, fine gun and I love them dearly..... for survival purposes the AK is UNBEATABLE!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AK is a battleaxe of a gun, but I prefer quality over quantity. not to say its a bad gun, but I am worried about MY ass too, ya' :) know?

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Like some others have touched upon, the environment would probably decide which gun was best for this...for me, I can't think of anything I would rather engage with if I knew 'they were coming' than the M-14.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
My SHTF rifle definitly would be an AR15. Think of it this way, you are the lone wolf patriot warrior going up against hordes of blue helmeted UN storm troopers. You have run out of 7.62X39 ammo to feed your AK. Problem is, none of the industrilized nations use the 7.62X39 anymore. The chances of battle field ammo pick up is pretty slim. You have more chance picking up 5.56X45 and 308.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I have to agree with Dogsoldier and for the same reasons. I've also considered the Mini-14 to be a good bug-out/SHTF gun. My M-4gery is accurate out past 300 yds, which is more than enough in that kind of scenario.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gunrnr said:
I have to agree with Dogsoldier and for the same reasons. I've also considered the Mini-14 to be a good bug-out/SHTF gun. My M-4gery is accurate out past 300 yds, which is more than enough in that kind of scenario.
That's why my AK's are chambered for 5.56,
I got the best of both worlds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Depends who invades us.

UN: either AR-15 or Steyr AUG A3

All other countries: AK-47

Simply because of ammo, or I'd pick up the enemy's rifle.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
A disruptor beam? ;)

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
gunrnr said:
First off, you would never be slapped for asking a legitimate question. That's not how this forum works (please read Travis's statement at the top, under the banner). The way to a warning or worse is to display disrespect and/or disparagement of other members, overt bigotry in form of name-calling or threatening. Aside from that or discussion of illegal activities or threats to do same, we are a pretty open bunch.

Regarding LEOs carrying AR-type weapons, I'm going to ask SatanzBountyHunter and some of our other members with more recent LE experience than mine to help out here, but the .223 Rem / 5.56mm cartridge is a good choice for urban/interior use because it does not penetrate like .308 Win and larger. It is also available in smaller packages such as the M-4 and older CARs.
Yes and terminal effects are better. There is a reason we have been using 5.56 for so long.

But if you are talking about fighting bad guys on our soil you may want to do so with something other than a rifle.

Take a look at an AR platform chambered in 6.8, you do not get too much more recoil or weight in rounds, but the projectile still achieves core separation during its yaw in flesh (inside 330m) so you do not suffer losses in lethality, and it has better intermediate barrier penetration than the 5.56.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have to go with my Colt H Bar with 3x9x40 scope. Ammo easy to carry and since danger is from within, the "enemy" will be using same ammo.
Remember Waco
Remember Ruby Ridge
Remember the face of Janet Reno, we have met the enemy and it is us.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts