National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expecting usage in woodland afoot or 3-wheeling. Prefer open sight and leather shoulder rig. Not a hunter. Military
and Peace Officer previous revolver training.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ruger super Redhawk or Super Blackhawk in .41 .44 .480 or .454 mag will work nicely.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Cougar can be dropped with a 45 acp with no problem, a 9 mm most likely. Thin skin and they don't much like lead.

Black bear or larger is a whole different story! 41 mag and up for black bear, if you have the hardware. Again for black bear if they are not too large you can dispatch them with a lessor caliber, side of the skull shots! I have a friend that killed one with a 22 cal pistol in a head shot on the top of the skull at close range. This was a bear that weighed in at about 200 lb, small guy!

The big bears, you want some heavy iron!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yeah Baby Yeah!!!!!!!!! :--- -I :i:

·
Banned
1,456 Posts

Either one of these should ruin their day. .45-70 & .500 S&W Magnum. Bill T.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
billt said:

Either one of these should ruin their day. .45-70 & .500 S&W Magnum. Bill T.

Do they provide a set of wheels to go with those? ;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have the 45-70. Believe me a set of wheels would be nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't they have the .500 and .460 X-frames out in a Bear defense kit type thing now? Thought I had seen them, Yellow or orange rubber grips I think. I agree the cats would take much less to deter than bruins, and If I had to carry something to keep from being turned into bear scat, It'd be a .500Smith.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,672 Posts
I hunt black bear using only a .44 Mag Ruger Super Blackhawk.

It has proven sufficient to suffice.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
owtlaw said:

The trick is to keep the elbows tight in against the hips. Advice from a woman who knows these things! :lol: Bill T.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
billt said:
owtlaw said:

The trick is to keep the elbows tight in against the hips. Advice from a woman who knows these things! :lol: Bill T.
Ha!Ha! Thats a hoot of a picture! Now I see why you have the high wall! To keep the neighbors from hanging over with their cameras! ;) ;) :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Er, uh, I'm un too damn old to remember what to do with one of those. :(

Gotta get a refill on them little blue's. :i:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The trick is to keep the elbows tight in against the hips. Advice from a woman who knows these things! :lol: Bill T.[/quote]

:-B-: GRREEAAATT POSTING, BIG BILL!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts