National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually carry mine in a cigar box in the passenger seat if I am riding alone. When My wife is in the car I put it in the glove box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I keep mine in a Vault Box bolted under the seat. (I paid $80 for it and it took me 20 minutes to install. I bought longer screws. The ones provided were to short)

Less chance of a random break-in, stealing it.

If your car is broken into, they will trash it in under 30 seconds and be gone. Nothing of value will be left.

And anything of nominal value will probably be broken.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EddieMossberg,

I've been to that web site before. If they had a armreast vault for an 02 Ford, I'd by it and remove my floor vault.

I know someone makes one, I just haven't found it yet.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a permit so I just keep it on me while in the car. No need to hide it. I want to be able to shoot my robber, not talk to him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
paman said:
I have a permit so I just keep it on me while in the car. No need to hide it. I want to be able to shoot my robber, not talk to him.
I'm with Paman! Why not just carry the gun on your person?

Guns carried behind the hip can be difficult to access when buckled in, but the same is not true for guns carried crossdraw, in a shoulder holster, or on the ankle.

The only "car gun" I am interested in is a rifle in the trunk.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike Barham said:
paman said:
I'm with Paman! Why not just carry the gun on your person?

Guns carried behind the hip can be difficult to access when buckled in, but the same is not true for guns carried crossdraw, in a shoulder holster, or on the ankle.

The only "car gun" I am interested in is a rifle in the trunk.

Im going to +1 this as well. :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"In the car" --

I have a Springer XD, 45 ACP Tactical, Glock GTL 21 laser, high cap mag in a zippered, soft gun case in the side door pocket. I can get at it easily, no fuss.

32 ACP NAA guardian in the console "hole" . . .

I've had "jerks" theaten me on the road, and I pull the soft case out fo the side pocket and set it on the passenger seat -- unzipped and ready to go.

12 Gauge in the trunk, Coach gun. Not all the time, but if I'm on a trip. Sometimes it's sitting in the passenger seat.

Cold Steel, Peacekeeper I 7 1/2" double edged on the seat, sometimes in a folio.

Not so much that I need any of them, but more that I like my toys, and have legal options to carry them.

I find it a whole lot easier to get at a gun on the seat than to try to get at one on your person in a vehicle.

I stick a gun in my pocket when I exit the vehicle, like into a store or "fast stop" for gas and a soda.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wife works in a government building. When I go see her I have to pass through a metal detector.

It's not often I have to use my vault, but when I do, it's very nice.

Jim

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I don't hide mine, its there in case of a hijacking or a threat... its always 6 inches from my hand in plain sight, if I exit the car, the gun comes with me . If you keep a gun in the car for personal protection it does you no good to have to get it from someplace like a glove box, console or lock box..... if you are just transporting weapons to the range, they go in the trunk.. If you keep a gun in the safe for home defense, you might as well leave a note for the BG that your weapon are locked in a safe.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I keep mine about the same place evil does or on my person....BTW what year is your vet? Nice!

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Thank you. I'm a retired GM design engineer.. I have seven proprietary designs in every C5 Corvette on the planet. I worked on this design from 1995 through launch in 1997 then three years of Factory Engineering field support. I retired in 2001 . This is a One Off C5 with many prototype GM parts on it.

This car is Carbon fiber, and not fiber glass.. has 13 X 19 inch rear wide wheels instead of 10 X 18... has 345 X 30 X 19 tires. 14 inch rotors instead of 11's Motor is 415 at the wheel and with the push of a button it goes to 565 HP. It gets 33 mpg in 6th gear tacking 1100 rpm on the highway.

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,881 Posts
I keep mine in the center console. If I exit the SUV and I don't take it with me for various reasons, then I put it under the seat. In my Subaru, I keep it next to me on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
I'm one of the "new generation" of grandparents who take care of their grandchildren. Now what is up with that, it was never that way back in my time.

I carry whenever I leave the house.

Unless I'm taking the kids to school or picking them up. Even with a permit, which I have, I cannot carry on school property. I could put the pistol in the car, but the law also requires that the pistol be "disabled" and held in a location "not accessible to the driver", or words to that effect.

So, when the children are most vulnerable to crazies, I do not carry.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
You can only follow the law and do your best to protect your self and your family.. some States handcuff people with the idea that its in the best overall interest.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Evil. 415 HP and not a ZO6?? Admirable. Do you do any shows??? This year I did not get another Vett because of the kid buying a house and I didn't want to take a bigger tax hit. Next year I am in the hunt for a C5 convertible. Yellow..Black... Red... consider Green or Blue. Needs to be relatively low miles and priced right. Will be looking in earnest in April due to weather. I found a great black one in SD this spring but have to wait.
You being a engineer can you suggest to make a concealed lockable place to put firearm?? I couldn't hide one anywhere in the C4. Heck I had a tube of weather strip adhesive taken at a show because there was no place to hide it.
The C5 convert will still hold 2 sets of golf clubs which is a must.... C4 was a pain with clubs. Good friend of mine found a Millennium Yellow with 20000 miles for $18000. The seller had five better offers when he went to pick it up but it was paid for. Seller offered him $2000 more on the spot.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Evil. 415 HP and not a ZO6?? Admirable. Do you do any shows??? This year I did not get another Vett because of the kid buying a house and I didn't want to take a bigger tax hit. Next year I am in the hunt for a C5 convertible. Yellow..Black... Red... consider Green or Blue. Needs to be relatively low miles and priced right. Will be looking in earnest in April due to weather. I found a great black one in SD this spring but have to wait.
You being a engineer can you suggest to make a concealed lockable place to put firearm?? I couldn't hide one anywhere in the C4. Heck I had a tube of weather strip adhesive taken at a show because there was no place to hide it.
The C5 convert will still hold 2 sets of golf clubs which is a must.... C4 was a pain with clubs. Good friend of mine found a Millennium Yellow with 20000 miles for $18000. The seller had five better offers when he went to pick it up but it was paid for. Seller offered him $2000 more on the spot.
No I don't do any shows... too much bad information from people who think they know something about this car, For me ,
A lock box is out of the question for me.. when I get out of my car, the gun comes with me... I see people glassing in a lock box in their Corvette, but for me its not something I would do.
But here is a lockbox for a Corvette. This sits behind the seats. Was added while doing a Dynamat installation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts