National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to take my young son shooting soon, but I was concerned about lead exposure. What is the best place to find lead free ammunition? To be clear, I am not just talking about the slug, but the primer as well. I am interested in 380, 9mm and 5.56.

Thanks!

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,181 Posts
Peoples over think that lead problem, tons of peoples have been shooting since they were 7 years old some have been reloading for 20-30 years and they're in their 70's today. I'm sure a few members will chime in on that.
There are far worse things your son and millions of peoples are exposed to every day and no one seem to give a rat's @ about
Just bring the kid and have fun, stop worrying about it

My two bits

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
What Kobs said :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
14,144 Posts
Well, since the first guns, I believe that lead has overwhelmingly been accepted as the best choice for projectiles. As long as you son does not breath lead fumes, ingest lead oxide, chew excessively on lead bullets or make and or wear excessive amounts of lead based jewelry for 50 years, exposure to whatever levels of lead that shooting provides will not cause him any harm as long as he does not live to be 150 years old.

Alan

·
Registered
570 Posts
+1 to what's been said above. You can find solid copper bullets, but they are pricy.

Unless your son is chewing on the bullets you should be OK. Just shoot at the range instead of the closet. At the range you get fresh air, the closet not so much. :popcorn2:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
if i was looking for such locally.....or should i say in the region, I would start at an indoor gun range as they would probably have some options in lead free handgun ammo. Their shop should have some for sale possibly.

Midway USA also sells lead-free ammo for handgun and rifle. https://www.midwayusa.com/

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,181 Posts
If you think about it the worse place your kid is exposed to lead absorption is in your own home, if your water pipes are copper cause all solder joints were made with it and flux, which is about as toxic as lead. Not counting if your kid has a healthy life and plays outside where tons of crap are dumped in the air daily. In 2 words, there's no getting out of it, you might as well have fun and give the kid great memories he will cherish all of his life.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Lead-free bullets is a campaign led by environmentalists, who are much more dangerous than lead, and don't really care about this natural element. Buying lead-free bullets just gives them more ammunition, and I'd rather shoot with a respirator.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,181 Posts
"Lead-free bullets is a campaign led by environmentalists, who are much more dangerous than lead"

Bingo!

·
Registered
18,222 Posts
Control the environment thru legislation and the enforced feeling of guilt about "environmental justice" and you have a great chance to successfully control ammunition. Then the guns just follow. Price ammo beyond the economic reach of most shooters and it's "Mission Accomplished". Invoke the sad, tragic and extremely false plight of the Kalifornia Kondor ingesting lead core bullets or the lead fragments from them in the carrion they eat, and well.........the poor pterodactyls are falling like rain.

Have you ever seen a Kalifornia Kondor auguring in from lead-poisoning? Have you ever seen a Kalifornia Kondor? Neither have I. And that is because a special "state unit" of zoo keepers keep them in captivity and release but a few every now and then. Most of those released end up being fried by the 44,000 volt high-tension electric cables running across the state. Lead core bullets will just have the effect of electrocuting condors, especially those from Kalifornia. Consider them the airborne Delta Smelt of the Environmentalists.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,181 Posts
It's always about effin brainwash it's so everywhere I look it burns me :mad5:

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Most of my ammo is lead free.....oh wait, i mean made with free lead.

·
Aim true !
9,472 Posts
I cant help it. But this thread makes me think about a DJ. When they play Lead Zeppelin, And he/she says time to get the lead out.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,181 Posts
It was David's first post I wonder if there will be a 2nd

·
Super Moderator
14,144 Posts
Control the environment thru legislation and the enforced feeling of guilt about "environmental justice" and you have a great chance to successfully control ammunition. Then the guns just follow. Price ammo beyond the economic reach of most shooters and it's "Mission Accomplished". Invoke the sad, tragic and extremely false plight of the Kalifornia Kondor ingesting lead core bullets or the lead fragments from them in the carrion they eat, and well.........the poor pterodactyls are falling like rain.

Have you ever seen a Kalifornia Kondor auguring in from lead-poisoning? Have you ever seen a Kalifornia Kondor? Neither have I. And that is because a special "state unit" of zoo keepers keep them in captivity and release but a few every now and then. Most of those released end up being fried by the 44,000 volt high-tension electric cables running across the state. Lead core bullets will just have the effect of electrocuting condors, especially those from Kalifornia. Consider them the airborne Delta Smelt of the Environmentalists.
I'm not for causing any animal to become extinct, except maybe rattlesnakes and their ilk, oh, and flies, and mosquitos, and man-o-war jellyfish, ... there's others .... but The California Condor was well on it's way all by itself before man started using something other than rocks to hut with.

Alan

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Alan don't forget ticks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts