National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being newer to shooting my skills and techniques are not fully developed yet. I have noticed when firing larger, more powerful rounds the recoil can mess with me a little. I’m a self taught shooter so any help with managing recoil would be very helpful. Thanks - GunYankee

·
Live Free
2,873 Posts
A lot of dealing with recoil is mind over matter; training yourself to hold steady aim focusing on your target while maintaining a steady firm hold as you squeeze the trigger. Always keep the butt of the rifle stock firmly against your shoulder or it will kick a lot harder. Sometimes you can help yourself by putting a shooting pad on (Past) or adding a little temporary extra recoil pad on to the butt of the rifle. While the extra padding helps to mitigate felt recoil, it also begins to add to your length of pull and can affect your position in the scope and the proper hold on the rifle, so add no more than is essential.

There are better riflemen than me here that will hopefully chime in with a bit more insight.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Well, I will disagree with some here...........recoil is NOT a figment of your imagination.....there are two recoils......actual which is a math equation based on weight of the gun, weight of the payload, velocity, etc.. FELT recoil , AKA "KICK", is based on gun fit...................

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The thing about recoil is you need to be careful and not develop a flinch. If you do then you need to be aware of it and control it.

I try to get beginner shooters started off right. A lot of shooting seems to be counter intuitive. I've seen new rifle shooters try to hold the gun away from them. It just gives the gun a running start. I've also seen tough guys brace as hard as they can and try to be immovable. The recoil energy needs somewhere to go.

I tell new shooters not to fear the gun. It's going to do what it's going to do. Go with the recoil don't fight it. Hold it tight with a firm grip. Go with the recoil don't fight it. Try to relax and of course practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Brake, add weight to stock, put a better recoil pad on stock.

I just got a synthetic stocked Mossberg Patriot in 375 Ruger. Weighs about 6.5 lbs. I flinch just looking at it!

It's got quite a good Limbsaver style recoil pad. I glass bedded the entire forend, mixing in about 1/2 pound of lead shot. Then mixed in about 3/4 lb of lead shot with the rest of the glass epoxy and drizzled it down into the butt stock to just behind the trigger, so as not to change the balance of the rifle. Altogether added about 1.5 lbs. Good steel Warne Maxima bases, some steel LaRue rings and scope, and it's now just under 9 lbs. Just about perfect.

·
Live Free
2,873 Posts
Well, I will disagree with some here...........recoil is NOT a figment of your imagination.....there are two recoils......actual which is a math equation based on weight of the gun, weight of the payload, velocity, etc.. FELT recoil , AKA "KICK", is based on gun fit...................
Did I miss something? Nobody has suggested that recoil is a “figment of your imagination,” in fact, you are the only one mentioning it.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Did I miss something? Nobody has suggested that recoil is a “figment of your imagination,” in fact, you are the only one mentioning it.
A lot of dealing with recoil is mind over matter
Your words, not mine

·
Live Free
2,873 Posts
Your words, not mine
“Mind over matter” does not imply it is a “figment of your imagination.” But I know it takes some mental adjustment to try and overcome flinching and otherwise shot spoiling reactions to recoil. And if you read my entire post you might have noted that I suggested tangible ways to deal with the reality of recoil. I was not at all implying that recoil is not real. But you do have to train yourself to handle the loud noise and somewhat violent push that is recoil, or else mitigate the effects of the recoil some other way.

Mind over matter might also be expressed as mental preparation for a physical exercise or occurrence.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,269 Posts
Hmmmmm, hit the gym and toughen up. :lol:

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You haven't said what it is you are shooting that is causing so much discomfort? I don't like .44 mag pistols, hurt my wrist, so I stepped down to a .41 mag, less pain. My old Rem 742 30-06 is quiet a kicker, so I use it rarely. I would say you need to find something else if you can't find a load that works.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
When i was a kid my dad bought me a 12 guage shotgun,single barrel. i grew up expecting all guns to recoil like that. In the military the M-14 was no surprise.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Length of pull is very important. Most rifles have a short LOP. Measure from your crooked trigger finger to your elbow. should be from 12 to 15 inches. If you can extend your rifle stock LOP to that length,
from the trigger, to the end of the stock,
if you hold the rifle firmly, recoil will be less than a poor stock fit.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
LOP is NOT the only factor - you also have DAH, DAC, thickness of comb, radius of the grip, pitch + or -, .toe in or out, cast on or off; weight of the gun, weight of the projectile, velocity of the projectile

And that BS about placing the the butt in the crook of the elbow, just needs to stop and go away.........................

Holding a rifle or shotgun firmly helps, but it does not offset poor stock fit

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
I had my Mosin Nagant out the other day. After 10 rounds of full power loads i had enough. :frown: I did blast 10 clays though.:weapons:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts