National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m brand new here and also pretty new to hunting and shooting in general. My father has always been a big lever action guy and has taken down a bunch of game with his old level action rifle. Sadly it’s all rusted now and it’s too deep really to clean. I would like to know what’s the best lever action hunting as long as caliber that could take down up to large game. Most calibers I see you have to be really close for a lever action to take it down. I’m looking for something you can still use at long range and be very effective. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
Lever guns and their ammo for the most part aren't really designed for long range shooting but what is your definition of long range? They are mostly used for within the 150yd range and sometimes out to 200yds but you'll be hard pressed to find a shooter that will take shots beyond that with a lever gun. Spitzer bullets are better suited for long range and lever guns require a round nose bullet because of the tubular mag. With that said anything made by Henry, Winchester or Marlin are all decent guns. Some have better sights, some have easier loading and then of course there is pricing which will range around the $500+ to well over $1,000 depending on what you want.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Live Free
2,889 Posts
Depends on what you mean by long range. Most lever guns are not really what you would call long range guns, but if you want excellent down range power from a lever you might consider 444 Marlin or 45-70. 30-30 rifles have been taking deer forever it seems, so it is a reasonable lever hunting cartridge.

square target summed it up better than I did.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The Henry .44 magnum Big Boy is a good choice. Will take down anything in North America.
As others have said, not designed for long range shooting, depending on your marksmanship I would keep it a 100-150 yards max.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
The BEST, IMO would be the Browning BLR. Offered with a detachable magazine so you aren't limited to flat nosed bullets and offered in some great cartridges for taking any game in North America and at distance, that would be a no brainer for me.

Reactions: Scrub oak

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Browning BLR has multiple caliber offerings.....

the Henry "long ranger" is fairly new and might be worth a look

a used Savage 99 in 300 sav is probably more affordable than either of the above and will do for reasonable practical distance.....i miss the one i had.

or give the Hornady specialized loads a try.... https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/leverevolution#!/

i have not tried LEVERevolution.........i am more of an "ambusher" than a hunter.......so the majority of my shooting distances are considered close to moderate range.......

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Marlin 44 mag is now a 200 yard gun, but I have to be very good at wind and distance calls. I've already taken deer at 220 with it.
My 30-30 is leaps and bounds better, the drop and drift is 1/3 of the 44 mag at 250 yards.

Now compare the 30-30 to a 30-06, the 30-06 cuts drift and drop in half.

(Crude language warning.)

All that said, the Henry in .308 above looks really nice! That would probably be one of the best.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
With the BLR available in 7mag, 300 mag, 325WSM, 7-08, 308, and on and on, one is not limited to traditional lever action distances.

·
Live Free
2,889 Posts
With the BLR available in 7mag, 300 mag, 325WSM, 7-08, 308, and on and on, one is not limited to traditional lever action distances.
I had completely forgotten about this and some of what Henry is doing with levers. I was thinking traditional levers. The BLR would be fun in .308 or 30-06 or...

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
Forgot all about the browning, yes that would be a great choice. I guess i was just thinking standard lever guns in calibers like 30/30, 35 444 etc. Never seen the Henry you guys were talking about either, i need to get out more. I didn't mention the savage because it's a older gun which are mostly collectable now. I don't think have seen anyone hunt with one in over 20 years but back in the 80's they were still quite popular.

win94, that's an amazing shot with a 30/30!!!!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Lever Guns are considered by most as "BRUSH" guns short range hard pounding to get through brush. This being said Lever guns of the old west Long Range was their use so I know not at all helpful. I say bending caliber distance (reasonable 200-300 yards) possible however not sought after most stay within 150 yards or so with the levers. But .44 mag and 30/30 have been known for the longer range. (200) yards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts