National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums here and I'm wondering if someone would be willing to give me some information. I'm looking for some of the most popular guns for conceal carry, specifically semi-auto handguns. I'm interested in compact pistols, etc.

I've found a lot of opinions online but it's difficult to tell whether or not someone was paid to write these reviews. I'm wondering if anyone can help me narrow down four or five models that are relatively new and popular today that I can take a look at. A variety of sizes would be good since several of us are going a-shoppin' at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Where do you live? You might be able to find someone, locally, who can help you out in your search.

1. Go find a range that rents. Find some handguns that feel good to you. Rent them, shoot them and find the ones you like best. Buy one or two, maybe three.

2. Have friends that shoot? Go with them and try out their handguns.

Popluar handguns: Glock, CZ, Springfield, Sig, Colt, Smith and Wesson.

Good luck!

Welcome to The Forum!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
How much are you looking to spend.
Just taking the 9mm Parabellun, for instance, prices are going to range from less than $300 for the Kel-Tec PF9 to several thousand dollars for the Korth Automatic!!

http://www.korthusa.com/picpage3.htm

I'd look at Ruger, the above mentioned Kel-Tec, Glock, and Smith and Wesson, for low to mid priced guns.

Sig and HK are in the mid to high priced range.

Keep in mind that everybody and his dog who makes guns makes a 9mm Para!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really like my H&K P7. For a self defense gun, new models and stuff that's just been introduced are a really bad idea; wait a couple of years and see what's still in production, and what has a reputation for working.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sig just came out with a new pistol...P250. here's a personnal review.

"So I decided to buy a 250... What are my thoughts? First, it looks great and is of the highest quality, fit and finish. It is a Sig... I like how it feels, the balance is great, and it points naturally. It is a simple design. Simple ideas tend to be the best ones. After first inspection, not overly impressed, but still very interested. Setting the excellent modular ability of the pistol aside, it is still a great design.

Ok - so how does it shoot? I have never, ever been more impressed with a semi-auto - period. I like shooting my Glocks and the rest of my Sigs, but the 250 is unlike any semi-auto I have ever shot before. It reminded me of a very smooth revolver, but much more controlable and accurate. I shot 2-3 inch groups at 21 feet averaging one shot every second or so. That to me, is great accuracy. What I was most impressed with was how easy it was to get back on target. Let me draw a comparison... My 228 in double action is fairly difficult to fire accurately and requires quite a bit of added concentration to make sure the first round isn't a flyer. The 250's trigger is so smooth and light that it hardly moves around making it very easy to shoot. I was concerned that the long reset was going to make tight grouping near impossible during speedier shooting. Not a concern at all. It was truly an easy pistol to shoot.

Reliability? Durability? Can't answer beyond a shadow of a doubt - obviously... I did run 150 rounds of Remington green box through it without even the slightest hiccup. It will serve well - at the very least, it gets my approval.

Being a modular pistol... Is it a huge factor in deciding to purchase for a civilian? Probably not, but it is cool none the less. I am looking forward to changing out the frame for a full size. My hands are of average size, but do feel a bit cramped into the grip of the compact (same issue as my G19). For Law Enforcement - is it a revolutionary idea? Maybe not, but it will save money. That is a pretty big factor when chosing a pistol, isn't it? Being able to switch calibers also makes a lot of sense for both the civilian and LEO. Practice at the range with 9mm and carry .45 in the same package. Makes a lot of sense to me... Will I do it? Big maybe, but nice to know that I could.

Price issues? Having a great dealer means a lot to those of us who shoot regularly. When I stated that I was kind of turned off by the fact that I only got one mag, my dealer added another magazine for free. So I walked out the door with a brand new Nitron 250 with two mags for $599 plus tax. If you compare prices with a Glock 19, two mags, and meprolights installed, you are right at $600, give or take...

So the verdict... I am very pleased with my new 250 and look forward to many memorable range sessions with it. My dealer should put one of these on the rental rack, it really sells itself after shooting. It would be hard not to buy after running a 100 rounds or so through it. I will feel safe carrying it and trust that when that smooth trigger is pulled, it will always go bang."

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
glennc said:
Sig just came out with a new pistol...P250. here's a personnal review.

"So I decided to buy a 250... What are my thoughts? First, it looks great and is of the highest quality, fit and finish. It is a Sig... I like how it feels, the balance is great, and it points naturally. It is a simple design. Simple ideas tend to be the best ones. After first inspection, not overly impressed, but still very interested. Setting the excellent modular ability of the pistol aside, it is still a great design.

Ok - so how does it shoot? I have never, ever been more impressed with a semi-auto - period. I like shooting my Glocks and the rest of my Sigs, but the 250 is unlike any semi-auto I have ever shot before. It reminded me of a very smooth revolver, but much more controlable and accurate. I shot 2-3 inch groups at 21 feet averaging one shot every second or so. That to me, is great accuracy. What I was most impressed with was how easy it was to get back on target. Let me draw a comparison... My 228 in double action is fairly difficult to fire accurately and requires quite a bit of added concentration to make sure the first round isn't a flyer. The 250's trigger is so smooth and light that it hardly moves around making it very easy to shoot. I was concerned that the long reset was going to make tight grouping near impossible during speedier shooting. Not a concern at all. It was truly an easy pistol to shoot.

Reliability? Durability? Can't answer beyond a shadow of a doubt - obviously... I did run 150 rounds of Remington green box through it without even the slightest hiccup. It will serve well - at the very least, it gets my approval.

Being a modular pistol... Is it a huge factor in deciding to purchase for a civilian? Probably not, but it is cool none the less. I am looking forward to changing out the frame for a full size. My hands are of average size, but do feel a bit cramped into the grip of the compact (same issue as my G19). For Law Enforcement - is it a revolutionary idea? Maybe not, but it will save money. That is a pretty big factor when chosing a pistol, isn't it? Being able to switch calibers also makes a lot of sense for both the civilian and LEO. Practice at the range with 9mm and carry .45 in the same package. Makes a lot of sense to me... Will I do it? Big maybe, but nice to know that I could.

Price issues? Having a great dealer means a lot to those of us who shoot regularly. When I stated that I was kind of turned off by the fact that I only got one mag, my dealer added another magazine for free. So I walked out the door with a brand new Nitron 250 with two mags for $599 plus tax. If you compare prices with a Glock 19, two mags, and meprolights installed, you are right at $600, give or take...

So the verdict... I am very pleased with my new 250 and look forward to many memorable range sessions with it. My dealer should put one of these on the rental rack, it really sells itself after shooting. It would be hard not to buy after running a 100 rounds or so through it. I will feel safe carrying it and trust that when that smooth trigger is pulled, it will always go bang."

Should I presume this is a 9mm? Have any pics of it? Excellent review, very informative. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts