Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Schwarzlose Model 1908

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Newbie Gun Enthusiast
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm only 18 but I still want to know what my first handgun should be when I can get one. I don't want a run-of-the-mill M1911 or M9. Something with a bit more character as a first handgun. Something unique and uncommon. I've put down a couple handguns that really caught my eye for one reason or another.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
For me the choices were uninspiring, so I didn't participate in the poll.

I'd take and have, the 1911A1, and M9 over them all.

of what's there, I'd take the Walthers, P-38 first.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
something i could use......such as in concealed carry
something in current production and availability of parts (factory support) over the years if necessary
something that is supported in aftermarket accessories such as holsters, quality factory spare mags, grips, etc.
something that i could use for years and is of proven design
throw in a little bit of class for personal vanity

for me, on all points listed above it would be the Walther PPK

going away from the list.......a Ruger single six.....i believe that a good .22 is essential in anyone's stable and make great first guns.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I guess out of those choices the PPK.

·
Newbie Gun Enthusiast
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Told you guys they werent common guns except for probably the PPK and the P38. A .22 revolver was totally in the back of my mind the whole time. I'm definitely more of an avid rifle shooter than a handgun shooter. My favorite revolver is probably the S&W .44 and my favorite handgun is probably the Beretta M9. Although I have to admit, the Beretta 32 Tomcat was a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I need to know more about how you intend to use this gun. Of the choices you listed, the PPK is probably the most versatile and definitely the easiest to obtain. I am thoroughly in love with the Beretta 84, but they're getting difficult to find at a decent price.

I get wanting something unique, but are you going to be taking it to the range regularly? Do you see yourself using it as a carry gun or home defense? A backup gun for hunting/hiking/camping? Or is it mostly a 'collection' gun, meant for occasional range use but mostly kept in a display case?

·
Newbie Gun Enthusiast
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like guns with a bit of character. I would use it for frequent range shooting. I'm a pretty big dude (6'6" 310) so I enjoy a bit of kick. As for a hunting sidearm, I really dont know what a good one would be. Im not sure if its better to have a large capacity or a high caliber. As far as home defense goes, I'll just get a 12 gauge (probably a Mossberg). And for a carry gun, Im not sure what to use but for that I was thinking a .38 Special snub nose revolver.

·
Newbie Gun Enthusiast
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dad owns that gun actually so i could shoot it indefinitely.
Ruger .22LR Target, 5" bull barrel. This is the acorn from which large-bore shooting grows.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you can find one at a not-obscene price, I like the Beretta 84FS - preferably in the satin nickel finish, but you'd probably be pushing your luck there. Throw on a set of walnut grips, and I guarantee everybody at the range will be drooling over it. While I never fired the Beretta, I really enjoyed the PPK/S, and I own a CZ-83; both are fun and accurate to shoot in a way that micro-.380's like the LCP never can be.

I'm an avowed CZ advocate, so of course the CZ-75B always comes early on my list of recommendations. It's a phenomenal shooter, durable, versatile, and gorgeous to boot. It's a unique gun that has the character you're looking for, while still being a practical tool.

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
From your list, I have owned three. The Walthers are fine weapons, but the P38 is no longer made - you would have a fine antique there. If your hands are small the PPK is a fine carry piece. In my years, since my hands (and everything else!) have gotten bigger, I currently carry a Beretta Cheetah. Recommend it highly, but if you want an argument, put up a post about the effectiveness of the .380. I also agree with your assessment of the Beretta Tomcat .32, but many men would say that the .32 is even more combat ineffective than the .380. Even so, Hitler carried a PPK in .32, for whatever that may be worth as an endorsement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts