National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to buy a 1911 sooner or later, whats your opinion for the best 1911 for the money. Also if you've had any bad experiences with a particular brand. not looking for $2500+ race gun just a good reliable 1911 preferably under $1000

at this point springfield looks pretty good

G

·
If you want to stay under a $1000.00 I like the Kimber. The little gun shop that I deal with actually stopped carrying Springfield's for a while because of quality control. They brought them back because of people wanting them but they really push Kimber. I have three Kimbers and one is my carry gun. If you can spend $1300 I would suggest a Wilson KZ45. They are a polymer frame with a 10 shot magazine yet no wider than a standard 1911. I have one and it is the only 1911 style gun that I ever bought including the Kimber that I did NOT have to do a trigger job. I do all of my own triggers so that has never been a problem for me. You might ask why I don't carry it instead of the Kimber and there are two reasons; one, the Kimber looks like I carry or drag it along, two the lighter weight KZ does not get back on target as the heavier Kimber. The polymer Kimber is kind of clunky compared to the Wilson which is a slick piece. Thats my opinion and it coming from a guy who also owns a Colt all stainless Commander, a Bauer 1911 Custom Target and a STW race gun in 38 super comp. That and 2 bucks will buy you a cup of coffee.

Ron

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I have two S&W's and one Kimber and they have been flawless. Everybody has there favorites. I would go to a shop that has many brands and finger print them all till that one screams at me (take me home). Buy it and don't look back. Enjoy your new 1911 and shoot the fire out of it. Good luck. :biggrin5:

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Like I said in the other thread. I love my Kimbers, but they tend to be a bit pricey. However you are getting a match grade custom pistol straight from the factory.

You get what you pay for. And IIRC there are a few Kimber Models that are under a grand if you go through the right seller.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Smith and Kimber are my picks. But there are a lot of good 1911's out there for under $1000

·
Registered
299 Posts
The S&W 1911's are great guns. Most can be had with all the bells and whistles out of the box for around $800.00

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Springfield Mil Spec 1911

I am very accurate with mine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'll probably get flamed, but I like my Taurus PT1911 (mostly because I got it for free!). I think they go for $550-$650. If I didn't win mine, I would buy it again in a heartbeat (at least for my first 1911, someday I want to own a Kimber). Its a great gun and recommend it if you're on a budget. However, if you don't mind spending the money, I would get a Kimber.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
best 1911 for the money

I'm not claiming to be a big 1911 guy, but I will say that I'm not willing to pay for a match grade, or higher end 1911 type gun. I've done a lot of research $500 - $750.00 range 1911 45 ACP's, and after shooting the Springfield Mil Spec I would say that it's well worth the money. I wouldn't go for the GI model because my eyes are just not that good anymore to try to pick up those useless little field sights. The Mil Spec is pretty much the same as the Spingfield GI remake except that it has a nice 3 dot sight system. The NRA intstuctor that I had for my pistol instructor course has multiple .45 ACP 1911's, and he thought that the Spingfield Mil Spec was great for the money. I would steer clear of Taurus although they claim they have a loaded 1911 gun at a price that competes with low priced field GI models. I just don't like or trust Taurus products, Ive been disapointed by them before. The big rave in 1911's is Kimber. I don't much about them except their lower price line is a little over what I'd like to spend. Thompson/Auto Ordinance also has some inexpensive 1911's but I can't say how they are. Check out the Spigfield Mil Spec. I think it's safe to say that it might be what you're looking for.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
The Taurus is, well, hit or miss. Pun intended.

I've had some issues with my PT1911 that appear to be relatively common. Some folks get a gem, and others (like me) have to put some time and money into it to make it work as it should. If you can afford to spend more, you will likely not regret getting something a little nicer.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
The best DOLLAR value, i.e., a good (not great) 1911 at a good price, IMO, is the Rock Island Arsenal (RIA). Excellent GI reproduction, well-made. I've sold several, including one that has >5K rounds through it. No complaints, no returns.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
In my opinion, and in order.

Rock Island Arsenal GI
Springfield, Inc. Mil Spec
Springfield, Inc. GI
High Standard (whatever they call it)

Personally, I would not waste my money on a Taurus or an Auto Ordinance

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Popeye, you guys do many times the volume that I do, what is your customer feedback about the RIA? How about the S&W 1911?

Thx!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
The RIA is a H U G E seller. Price point, ya know? So far, none have had serious warranty problems.

S&W's 1911s attempt to compete with the $1000.00 range 1911s. The people who buy them seem to like them. Few people buy them.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
I will agree with the RIA but I have the Tactical. Purchased at $400, as far as I am concerned it is a very nice pistol. Customer service has been excellent. When I had an issue with FTRB, Precision Arms took the pistol in and returned it within 10 days. 1500 rounds later using all different types of ammunition, there have not been any problems.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I set a $1000 limit but dont necessarily want to spend that much, I have had problems with a taurus autoloader before so I steer clear of them now, and the RIA just seems to cheap, I believe you get what you pay for generally. I have heard nothing but good things about springfields but I saw a picture of one recently and it said Brazil(home of taurus) on the frame and it spooked me a bit.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I have an older Colt series 70 Gold Cup and three Kimbers. The older Colts are wonderful but very expensive, so my recommendation would be Kimber.

The compacts, the middle size, are great carry pistols and very accurate. Shoot almost as well as the custom shop Gold Match models.

If money is the object take a long hard look at the Kimber Custom. Its the least expensive, in black but has the same features as most Kimbers and is dead nuts accurate and reliable. I would bet my life on them.

If you have an interest in a double action 45 acp I would direct you to the Sig 220, its one heck of a pistol also, but its not cheap.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have two older series 1 Kimbers.... a Pro Carry SLE, and Pro CDP ........ both were under $900

I have two 1911 Sigs..... a 5" GSR, and a 4" Platinum Elite Carry ......... both were under $1000

I just today picked up a new Dan Wesson Classic bobtail, and it's a better buy than the other four. Better made, tighter, no MIM parts, NO tool marks, simply an outstanding pistol. Got it thru Whittakers for $863.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I too have heard good things about the Rock Island although I have never fired one. They are priced very fair and have a good reputation.

Git-R-Done over at GB has a brace of 7 I believe and cannot say enough good things about them. So I would take a look at them if price was a major factor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts