National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. whats a good CCW ? I've been looking into the S&W M&P Sheiled 2.0 chambered in 9mm. Any other good non costly options?

·
Aim true !
11,332 Posts
You will get a lot of recommendations. The shield is a fine choice. If you can handle and shoot as many hand guns as possible. And chose one that fits you the best.

Reactions: Jordan9MM

·
Registered
44 Posts
Find one that fits your hands and you can control. Go to a range that has rentals and try some first. Or get to know someone who has several types that you can try at a range. But the one for you is what you like and will learn to use and will carry everyday.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,161 Posts
Just suggestions on my part.

Sig P238
Sig P938
CZ 75 Compact
Walther PPK
Bersa Thunder 380
Ruger LCR

Please keep in mind, that what we suggest may not be the best choice for you. Everyone has different likes, dislikes, and abilities.

You may want to go to a shooting range and rent what you think you are interested in, before you spend money on a firearm you end up hating.

·
Jesus Saves
8,000 Posts
Women should not own guns, they belong barefoot and pregnant, in the kitchen, taking care of their mans every need.

(is it safe to come out yet?)

·
Live Free
3,247 Posts
Welcome to NGF! I would also recommend trying as many pistols as possible. All too often men think to choose the pistol they think a woman would be best suited for and find they are wrong. I would urge you, if possible, to check out as many pistols as you can at local gun stores, and when possible try them. And do not feel that you have to use the smaller calibers, that may or may not be the case for you. I know a couple of petite ladies who carry .45’s because they are quite comfortable with them, and both of them find little .380 pistols to have a nasty snap sort of recoil whereas the .45, though stronger is not such a harsh crack, but a push.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Hello all. whats a good CCW ? I've been looking into the S&W M&P Sheiled 2.0 chambered in 9mm. Any other good non costly options?
I am making an assumption here that you are new to guns. If I’m wrong about that, feel free to correct me. Everyone starts somewhere, CCW, however, is not where you start. I’m not casting judgement here, it’s just that CCW is a big choice and with it comes a lot of responsibility. Your life and your freedom depend on it. By the time you make that choice, you should already be proficient with what you intend to carry.

As far as the gun you are asking about, the 9mm Shield is probably the #1 carry gun. A lot of it has to do with price (which has gone up considerably in the last year). My experience with S&W polymer pistols is hit and miss. Some folk love them and some hate them. I prefer Springfield Armory myself. Glock, while I don’t personally own one, has a good reputation as well. If I were budget shopping, I’d stick with those 3 brands.

The caliber is a great caliber, however, the S&W 9 Shield (3.125” version) is a light gun. It may be a bit snappy for someone starting out. Just about any gun range that’ll rent you a gun to try will have one. Rent one and try it or borrow one and try it. The lighter the gun, the snappier it’ll be. That particular gun is also fairly hard to rack the slide on compared to some others I have. That’s where a lot of women get stuck, grip strength required to rack the slide.

Something else no one thinks to consider is grip angle. Each manufacturer (in general) has their own grip angle. Glock is about 22 degrees, that S&W Shield is 18 degrees. Why that is that important? When you raise the gun to take aim, where is the barrel pointing naturally? If it’s naturally pointed too far up or down, you may consider a gun with a different grip angle so the natural point and shoot angle doesn’t have to be retrained. The more natural it is for you, the easier it’ll probably be on you when you practice and actually have to use it.

That particular S&W has a fairly small and narrow grip. It is well suited for smaller hands.

This is just my $.02.

·
I don't fit in yer fasces
720 Posts
Don't go cheap for cheap's sake. You're in trouble if you don't respect it. It's also respecting yourself.
It needs to fit you. You need to be comfortable and proficient with it. Dare I say: You need to like it.
If you're going to own just one firearm then don't skimp on it.

·
Jesus Saves
8,000 Posts
I don't agree with what some have said about becoming proficient before your CCW. While CCW is a very important responsibility and should not be taken lightly, you can make your first gun your CCW and then become proficient with it.

I know many people who decided to get a CCW and have made their one gun the center of all they do. They pick out a gun and use it, practice with it, learn it...to a point they feel it almost becomes a part of them. They know what the gun can do and won't do.

On the other hand, I know many many people that have multiple guns and have many CCW; or "go to" guns for carry. People changing their carry gun ever week; never having 100% proficiency with just one gun. Are these individuals less safe of more dangerous that a person who has their first and only CCW that practices, maintains it, uses it? No, but to say they are better IS wrong.

What i am trying to say is if you are going to by a CCW gun, take your time finding it. Learn as much as you can, use it, learn it, manage it, keep it clean......treat is as though it is a par of you; and you will be fine.

Just my 2cents
There are people who buy a gun and hardly ever use it, if a all, and call it a ccw gun. These people are dangerous to themselves and others. The key is to learn your gun, manage your gun and practice with your gun.

·
Registered
950 Posts
See if there are shooting ranges around you. Find one that has ladies nights.
Go on a ladies night and rent a gun you may like. Then stsrt talk to the other women and tell them you want a gun and how you intend to use it. Then stand back. The offers of "try mine" will flood you.
Women are a lot better at sharing then men and offer advice that is specific to them.

Just have fun

AFS

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I had to choose a suggestion, Philmo's would be about best. I didn't see that anybody asked you (probably assumed) what your experience level with firearms is. Perhaps you've been shooting biathlon for 10 years, and now want to look into a new genre, or perhaps you've never touched a firearm. The next best suggestion was to handle, in a controlled environment, as many different weapons as possible. By that I don't mean as many compact or subcompact semiautos, but different actions, sizes, calibers, etc. Firearms are too expensive to get buyer's remorse after the first range session. In the day, I've taught far too many home firearms safety and defense courses, later to find out the "recommended" whizbanger is languishing in a safe or worse a drawer.

Some ranges rent various handguns. Most clubs welcome new members and will offer range days to share/show off various makes, models, and calibers under supervision. I'd suggest your best bet would be to try to take advantage of whatever is available in your locale. Having said all that ... I carry a Shield 9mm and really like it. It pretty much feeds everything, is a viable self defense caliber, and carried properly is light enough to ensure it'd be with you always.

Partake in your due diligence and you'll probably end up satisfied with your choice in the long run.

-jb, IMNSHO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Avoid the 38 snubbie.
Avoid the Ruger LCP(and I’m a Ruger owner and fan)
Avoid cheap
However, Taurus G3c, Mossberg make relatively inexpensive, shootable handguns fit to carry and shoot. If it’s not comfortable to handle and shoot, one won’t practice with it. If it’s not practiced with, it shouldn’t be used for self defense.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with previous poster's opinion on the 38 snub. Based on my wife's journey through many handguns until she fell in love with her Glock 42, as well as observations through years as an R.O., the snubs are hard to control and shoot accurately (for most, not all), and although Ruger makes some of the finest firearms out there, I have experienced and witnessed horror stories with the LCR revolver by Ruger. Try a bunch. Go with your gut. Welcome!

·
Registered
74 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts