National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting into hunting I have heard lots of things about different big game cartridges. Should I be using 30-06, .308, or 30.30. What’s are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks - GunYankee

·
Aim true !
10,309 Posts
All 3 are fine. 30.06 will have the most power. 30/30 the least. All 3 shoot fine out to 100 yards. Then some. I hunt in the woods. I don't need to shoot over 100 yards.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
With proper shot placement caliber becomes less of a consideration. I recommend you get a popular caliber to start with. Ammo will be more available and cheaper for practice. I recommend 30-06 or 308 as it is adequate for most big game in North America.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hunting where? We have an old family place in Vermont. There are "hunting books" like guest books with notations that go back to the 1890s. If you sit on one stone wall by the orchard and are willing to put three days in, you will absolutely guaranteed shoot a whitetail at about 35 yards. Never, ever need more than a 30-30.

2018 deer season in Colorado I was way up in the Rockies after mulies. My self imposed limit for a shot is 250 yards. I stretched it and took my buck with a 270 Win at 280 yards. 2019, I missed my first shot on a buck at about 25 yards because I had the scope on the 270 cranked up too high and got surprised! The one I took was at about 60 yards. 30-30 would have been fine.

Deer are pretty fragile and easy to kill. It's not wanting to track them that argues for more powerful cartridges. But a good heart and lung broadside shot with anything from .243 upward will do the job. If you are hunting New England woods, a Marlin 30-30 with a good aperture sight or a vintage Weaver K3 will do you very well indeed. If you need something to reach out, 270 Win or the new wunderkind, 6.5 CM, will both be very effective and easy shooting.

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
You sure know how to open the large opinion can. I grew up on 30-06’s. They’ll take anything in the lower 48 and ha e the greatest range of bullet weights and types. Ammo is available no matter where you go. I have 3 30-06 rifles in different actions. Never saw a reason to get any different caliber.

·
Live Free
2,882 Posts
^^^^^^^ Absolutely! As an opinion, I would say .308 is a great round that is versatile and easy on the wallet and shoulder. Popularity has made a variety of ammo available at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Actually there is no best value gun or cartridge. It's what you shoot well enough to get the job done. I love my Savage .243 and my son loves his Ruger 30-06. Both brought home deer this year. Bullet technology, especially the Barnes solid coppers, has made lighter bullets more lethal making more calibers great for hunting like the 6.5 Grendel. And oh yes, once you move from the range to the woods and that buck steps out in front, you will have a whole new problem with you sights jumping to your heartbeat.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
a can of worms is right....

if you want a short fast handling levergun for whitetail out to say roughly 200 yards..........30-30

if you expect out to roughly 300 yards.......the 06 or 308

probably 98% of whitetails taken in TX are taken from 50 to 150 yards with a rifle....

a lot of those claimed long shots are measured with short steps......but every once in a while a long shot presents itself....providing you are capable of it.

Farther than 200 yards it seems is beyond a lot of folks capability accuracy-wise......a lot of folks do not know when to pass on a shot....be it beyond the capabilities of the round or especially the shooter..

Reactions: Win94ae

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the 30.06 has put more venison on the table then any other cartridge.
That is what I was taught to hunt with. But any of the choices you have stated will work.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There are a lot of variables with caliber selection for deer like the type of deer, the terrain, distance etc.

If I could only have one rifle to hunt deer with, it would be a generic bolt action 30-06 with a 3 by 9 scope that I didn't care about too much.

You can buy a rifle like this for $300 at Walmart now that's ready to pop a deer from 250 yards away right off the shelf with
Cheap ammo
M

1 - 14 of 14 Posts