National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently got into shooting and would like to start deer hunting in the great north woods. Since I only have a Marlin XT-22 for target shooting, I’m in need of a rifle with a lot more power. I need something that’s durable, accurate, and would prefer a hardwood stock. Does anyone have any suggestions on what models I should be looking for? Thanks - GunYankee

·
Aim true !
11,095 Posts
Savage has nice ones with the wood stock. I like the wood too. What caliber are you thinking of? I suggest 308 or 30.06

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh you are the kind gentlemen who helped me try and identify my S and W revolver yesterday. I identified it as a British ww2 victory revolver.

I’m thinking of .308 Winchester. I saw a couple of those guns you mentioned on bass pro and I saw some very bad reviews in terms of accuracy.

·
Aim true !
11,095 Posts
I have an axis wood stock in 223. It's very accurate. My deer rifles are Remingtons 30.06. One is a 770. But synthetic stock. The 770 is their low end gun. But i like mine. It groups very well. And have an older remington 760 pump in 30.06 I love that gun. I just got a winchester ranger 30/30. I didn't scope it. So i been shooting it out to 50 yards with the irons. It does fine too.

Reactions: Scrub oak

·
Registered
541 Posts
$600 will get you a lot of rifle these days!

Savage - boringly accurate. A synthetic 110 is in range at $600 an Axis 2 will leave room for a decent scope too
Weatherby Vanguard 2 (Howa) is possible for $600
Howa 1500 - a tad heavy
T/C Venture - great value for money
Ruger American - another sure thing
Mossberg Patriot - you can get a classic blued steel and walnut stocked rifle for $600
T/C Compass - they look cheap to me but seem to shoot brilliantly.

·
Banned
79 Posts
$600 will get you a lot of rifle these days!

Savage - boringly accurate. A synthetic 110 is in range at $600 an Axis 2 will leave room for a decent scope too
Weatherby Vanguard 2 (Howa) is possible for $600
Howa 1500 - a tad heavy
T/C Venture - great value for money
Ruger American - another sure thing
Mossberg Patriot - you can get a classic blued steel and walnut stocked rifle for $600
T/C Compass - they look cheap to me but seem to shoot brilliantly.
+1

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do a little shopping and you can find a good used Remington 700 for less than 600.00. Older version of course.

·
AZHerper
3,980 Posts
Oh you are the kind gentlemen who helped me try and identify my S and W revolver yesterday. I identified it as a British ww2 victory revolver.

I’m thinking of .308 Winchester. I saw a couple of those guns you mentioned on bass pro and I saw some very bad reviews in terms of accuracy.
Accuracy depends on the individual gun significantly more than the cartridge. A blanket condemnation of .308 Winchester (which is a cartridge) would be both stupid and irresponsible. I think that you misunderstood the reviews.

·
Live Free
3,150 Posts
The Savage Axis II Hardwood version is a pretty fair rifle for the money. I think they all come with an entry level scope now, but with the money saved you can upgrade the scope too. The accu-trigger in these rifles gives a really good trigger right out of the box, that is adjustable too. As previously stated, these rifles are almost boring they are so accurate out of the box. Great entry level rifle...not a match grade rifle though. In regards caliber, I would be hard pressed to find better all around hunting calibers than. 308 or 30-06. The 06 has a bit more capability with heavier bullets, and a bit more recoil too. Both are typically accurate and reliable freezer fillers. You might also consider calibers like .270 (nice flat shooting cartridge...accurate) or 6.5 Creedmore (very accurate), but for economics and versatility, .308 and 30-06 are likely your best bet. The 06 will effectively take any/all North American game, while the .308 will do so also, the 06 is better for large game like moose and elk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts