National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8,425 Posts
140 Nosler partition behind a good load of Win 760. 140 is THE weight for a 7-08

· Registered
8,425 Posts
Yet folks use 130s in their 270 on elk all the time. A good 140 bullet like the Partition, A-Square or similar will take an elk down

· Registered
6,328 Posts
A few more details would be helpful....

What bullet/powder/primer combos have you tried up to this point?

What are your expectations and what is acceptable?

Are you shooting off a rest/bipod/ rolled up jacket off the truck hood?

· Registered
1 Posts
I will second the motion on 140gr being the best bullet weight for the
7mm-08. At a friend's recommendation I have loaded the 120gr Barnes TTSX for my son's 7mm-08. We have no elk in Central Louisiana though.
My 7mm-08 is loaded with 140gr Nosler AccuBonds. I've been well pleased with its performance on whitetails. Although I've had but limited use, it has worked as advertised as far as I can tell. They shoot very well, expand to create plenty internal damage and exit the animal. I believe it to give similar performance to the Nosler Partition.

· Registered
179 Posts
140 grain ballistic tip for son's 280 Remington, deer slayer for sure. 150 grain Nosler partition for 7mm mag, works for me. 7mm STW with a 175 grain Barnes TSX, elk and mule deer don't have a clue what hit them.
All will shoot way more accurate than I can. Don't expect one hole groups with a good tough hunting bullet

· Premium Member
9,922 Posts
I had a slug gun that would put two into a 3” bullseye at 100 yards but then be all over the place by 5-14 inches. Turns out to be the scope. Now it shoots Hornaday SST’s in a 2” group at 100yards. Food for thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.