National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,651 Posts
When I had the AMT380 I used the hydro shocks. Never really used anything else but now I hear those rounds are very expensive and hard to find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Hornady Critical Defense. But personally, I don't think it matters all that much. The debate over which round is "best" is rather pointless. If you hit a vital spot, any good hollow point is going to do the job.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I use Hornady Critical Defense. But personally, I don't think it matters all that much. The debate over which round is "best" is rather pointless. If you hit a vital spot, any good hollow point is going to do the job.
Well I see your point, however it is debatable. It's like 9mm vs. 45 ACP? The point is trying to do as much damage as possible so that the assailant will stop the attack with fewer shots as possible. Therefore the bullet that does most damage is a better bullet. Having been limited to a smaller caliber due to the gun size, then I would like to make sure that at least I have the bullet that stings the most.

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
Personally I use Gold Dots, loaded pretty hot, but if you don't roll your own, the Buffalo Bore hard cast flat nose rounds are my next choice. I use the Gold Dots mostly because I have a lot of them I got at a price a couple of years ago. With the .380 your problem is more that of penetration than expansion, unless you are concerned with over-penetration and collateral damage. Then you can go with frangible projectiles like Glasers.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Those BB cast bullets are a good choice since you can be certain that they will drive to the vitals. If you want an expanding bullet, find a good quality hollowpoint that shoots well and to POA.

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
so much to choose from. I have been seaching the net for a week now and it seems that everyone has a great bullet to reccomend. Are they all good or is the net full of bad informations?? How opinionated is this subject?
Not opinionated at all. A lot of people are just wrong is all. . .

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
Really, factory standard loads through a short barrel mouse gun, your need is for penetration. Once the velocity gets over about 1000 fps you can start thinking about penetration plus expansion. More than anything else, you need accuracy, without which the rest is meaningless.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I have used Gold Dots for years in my semi autos and have been well pleased with them. They have been very accurate in all four calibers that I use them in. Calibers are .380,9mm,.40,&.45acp. YMMV. :cornut:

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
There aren't any magic superior death ray bullets out there. Any handgun is weak and a little 380 is very weak (compared to a long gun). Buy quality ammo that functions 100% of the time, practice so you can place the bullets well and quickly, and be prepared for a failure to stop.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There aren't any magic superior death ray bullets out there. Any handgun is weak and a little 380 is very weak (compared to a long gun). Buy quality ammo that functions 100% of the time, practice so you can place the bullets well and quickly, and be prepared for a failure to stop.
You are quite right bigweatherby! Practice and prepareness is the key to all of it. And I guess in a way all of you are right. It is what ever works for the individual. Unfortunaly I am forced to carry a small weapon, most of the time, when that happens I wish I had a bullet with the stopping power of my Kimber .45 however I don't and I must adjust. Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I think we would all agree that the 380 is a compromise caliber to begin with. About 20 years ago it was almost extinct, few bought it or selected it as a carry caliber. The popularity of concealed carry permits and the advances in 380 ammo effectiveness has changed the ball game.

The 380 caliber weapons are ideal for pocket carry, lightweight, small and flat. So for those of us that want to have a weapon on our person at all times its become the easy choice to carry. With good (expensive) defensive ammo as suggested by other members it will work for close up and personal self defense purposes.

No question the better choice for carry would be a 9mm, 357 sig, 38/357, 40 caliber or 45 acp. But those weapons are usually larger and weigh a lot more so most will not choose to pack them unless in the security or police business.

Lots of good ammo available for the 380. Hornady critical defense ( if you can find it), Speer Gold Dot, Fed Hydra-Shok, DPX, even the old Silvertips by Winchester or SXTs. Gold Sabres, etc. Lots of good stuff to choose from and you can always question the folks at your local gun shop to see what they recommend. It can be wise to pack the same type of ammo that your local police force uses if its available.

Good luck with your selection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts