National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new member here looking for some guidance. Girlfriend wants to upgrade her shotgun situation. We are looking Benelli and she handled a Montefeltro and really liked it. She also liked the M2. Ive been told the M2 is just a Monte with extra bells and whistles. Is there any truth to that? There is about $300 difference in price between the M2 and the Montefeltro. Can someone explain the differences in the guns and is the M2 worth the extra money or should she go with the Monte? It will be used for waterfowl hunting and turkeys. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
inertia-driven guns might not feed reliably especially with light (dove or target) loads; I've read feeding an interia-drive in a 20 gauge might be more balky due to diminished recoil; pumps feed reliably with any load and in every gauge, even the piddly 410; over/unders are too rich for my blood

I've had my eye on Benelli's Montefeltro semi with silver receiver and engraving; pretty gun, pricey but might not function reliably

my main interest in a 20 is the softer shooting, speaking of recoil; getting in shape for dove season entails a lot a time practicing on a skeet field; lots of shots fired, shoulder and face takes a beating
:popcorn2:

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
I tool a look at the 2 choices. I think the Montefeltro will be fine for hunting. And i like wood stock over synthetic. But that is just personal preference. Also the Montefeltro is 2 pounds lighter. The M2 does come with more choke choices though. But for water fowl and turkey i would use the full choke. Then for small game modified. The M2 probably has chokes for skeet and clays.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I will say, the Benelli Performance shop takes a great shotgun and does the little balancing tweaks and other upgrades. they do a great job. I have two Supersports, one from the pro shop, one normal. Everyone can tell the difference from how it shoulders, how it swings, and the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Nice shotgun Artie.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
With either choice you can’t go wrong. They are excellent shotguns with great performance. I opted for the Super Black Eagle II and use it mostly for turkey hunting although I have shot dove and ducks with it.
Is it the pic of did you get a lefty?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Is it the pic of did you get a lefty?
Yes sir it is a lefty. I traded a 458 Winchester Magnum for it. Took it down and gave it a good cleaning and it has run flawlessly. I have had it for several years.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The Montefeltro is a very nice shotgun. I don't like inertia guns and a gas gun might mitigate recoil in a 20 ga better for the young lady in question. Having said that, unless it is primarily a defense gun, the occasional "Benelli Click" is a mere inconvenience.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
I have a Montefeltro 12ga. Like it alot. I wanted wood, instead of plastic.
I had, at one time, a Super Black Eagle 12 ga. It was a second shotgun. To use in bad weather. I had a really nice O/U I didn't want to ruin. Have to admit. I used the SBE a little more than bad weather. I loved it that much. It had a very thin feel to it. Kinda more like handling a fine knife. I just really loved the feel and shootability. How it pointed and all.
My Montefeltro feels a little fatter. Imagine it is the wood. Has to be a little thicker for strength.
Overalll it's rather a toss up for me. Admit I loved the feel of the SBE better when shooting.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I was waiting for a left handed version of the new Mossberg 940. I wrote them and asked if they had plans to introduce one. They said no and they will be discontinuing ALL left handed models next year. I see a Benelli in my future.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
If your goal is less recoil, go with a gas gun, not an inertia one. Many inertia ones do not handle light loads as well as a gas (which doesn't handle even lighter loads like a O/U)
I can reload 28 gauge level loads (3/4oz) for 12 and 20 that function in not only my O/Us, but also in both pf my Beretta gas guns. In those gas guns, I can shoot 300+ a day with no recoil issues.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If your goal is less recoil, go with a gas gun, not an inertia one. Many inertia ones do not handle light loads as well as a gas (which doesn't handle even lighter loads like a O/U)
I can reload 28 gauge level loads (3/4oz) for 12 and 20 that function in not only my O/Us, but also in both pf my Beretta gas guns. In those gas guns, I can shoot 300+ a day with no recoil issues.
No there’s a suggestion. Get her a pair... a 20 and 28. Pretty easy to fall in love with a 28. The break birds like no tomorrow...on the downside, they are more expensive to buy than commodity20, but you could get a progressive to load the 28 and do it very economically. Been a while, but that 3/4 oz load fitasc mentioned... ya get a bunch of those in a 25# bag of shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts