National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still haven't bought my gun yet -- waiting until work dies down in October. So until then, I just get to ask questions. :8>/

I was asking in a previous thread about holsters, and Wag mentioned his belly band. I got to looking into them, and it might make sense for what I need. I bought an inexpensive one from my local gun store and wore it plain for a few days - it felt okay. Next step is to wear it with my rubber training gun and see how it feels with weight and bulk.

I have some questions about the actual gun holding provisions. From what I can see, there's four basic types:
-- A fabric / elastic pouch - not a fan, because it would collapse as soon as you draw the gun
-- Alien Gear (and there may be others) has theirs used with the IWB holster of your choice that clips to the belly band
-- Crossbreed (and there may be others) has you select the holster of your choice from their belly band styles and it attaches using velcro
-- Keepers Concealment makes Kydex inserts for the fabric pouches so the pouch doesn't collapse

For my gun (Springfield XD 9mm 4" with light), Keepers doesn't make an insert, and Crossbreed doesn't have a belly band - style holster that will work. So that would leave me with the option of getting a standard IWB holster and wearing it clipped to the belly band (instead of my pants waistband). That would give me the benefits of both the belly band and a Kydex holster.

Any thoughts or comments??
Ed

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
limited experience with a belly band......my experiences were the smaller/lighter the gun, the better it concealed/carry......to the point that i just stayed with a small gun and pocket carry.

a service size xd with attached light is going to be heavy and bulk for a belly band....

anything is possible if you work at it and dress around the gun....but by the time you dress around the belly band rig with a larger shirt suitable for concealing/access for a xd service pistol, you could probably just as easily dress around an iwb or owb rig...............i hate having to work for a gun and would rather have the gun work for me.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
I have a thought about:

-- A fabric / elastic pouch - not a fan, because it would collapse as soon as you draw the gun
This is true for my belly band, Mike's holsters and leather IWB.

However, for self-defense, I'm not concerned with holstering the weapon. It's the draw that counts.

Tip: I leave a Kydex holster in the car so I can de-arm for gun-free zones like the post office, some doctor's offices and the courthouse.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a thought about:

This is true for my belly band, Mike's holsters and leather IWB.

However, for self-defense, I'm not concerned with holstering the weapon. It's the draw that counts.

Tip: I leave a Kydex holster in the car so I can de-arm for gun-free zones like the post office, some doctor's offices and the courthouse.
Good thought about the extra car holster!! I will have to remember that.

Knowing me, I have a concern about reholstering after an incident: I'm gonna want to put it away & understand critical thinking goes out the window, and I'd rather have an open Kydex to shove the gun into that have to remember to open up the pouch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deputy: The gun, two mags, and other misc stuff is gonna be about 3.5 to 4 pounds, whether on a belt or a belly band. Carrying concealed is going to make me change how I dress anyway, so I will in that sense be working for the gun.

My idea with the belly band is that I can make adjustments up or down, left or right without having to worry about belt loops and buckles interfering with clips. Nor do I need a $75 belt that might not go with every mode of dress.

At least, that's how it's working in my imagination. :8-0

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Good thought about the extra car holster!! I will have to remember that.

Knowing me, I have a concern about reholstering after an incident: I'm gonna want to put it away & understand critical thinking goes out the window, and I'd rather have an open Kydex to shove the gun into that have to remember to open up the pouch.
I wear the belly band or Uncle Mike's or leather only on occasions mostly dictated by dress code for the day.

My EDC is Kydex. Like you, I do like that it doesn't collapse, AND I just unclip the Kydex, gun and all, to store safely away in the car or home.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
Deputy: The gun, two mags, and other misc stuff is gonna be about 3.5 to 4 pounds, whether on a belt or a belly band. Carrying concealed is going to make me change how I dress anyway, so I will in that sense be working for the gun.

My idea with the belly band is that I can make adjustments up or down, left or right without having to worry about belt loops and buckles interfering with clips. Nor do I need a $75 belt that might not go with every mode of dress.

At least, that's how it's working in my imagination. :8-0
You'll work it out. :wink:

I'm retired so I have my own dress code for EDC:

Blue jeans, belt, "wife beater" undershirt (keeps Kydex off my bare skin), large T-shirt, and an unbuttoned dress shirt (as in for work).

I wear the gun at 4 o'clock and with just the T-shirt, it prints. Texas penal code does not mention "printing," and I'm licensed to carry open, anyway, where allowed, but the added shirt covers the bulge.

To draw, I pull up the T-shirt with my left hand.

Around the yard I wear sloppy shorts and a thin T-shirt. It's hot in Texas. That's when I use the other options where the holster collapses.

·
Registered
14,912 Posts
Holsters are one of those things that most people tend to try a few different styles to see what they like and sometimes have multiples for different clothing, times of the year etc. I always like the looks of a belly band but i don't think they would work to well with people that have bellies which leaves me out. I have always been a fan of molded leather OWB holster and wearing a long shirt to cover it. I recently bought a alien gear IWB holster for my S&W shield. The belt clips are very stiff and hard to get on and off but once you have it on it's very secure and comfortable to wear. I wasn't sure it was going to be because of the size but i was wrong. Might be a good place to start when looking for a holster.

Reactions: BigNastyCowboy

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Ok Belly bands if one is limited "BULK" belly bands are awesome before my health took a twist it was great.. If OWB that is awesome for this fat man I wear a 3xl tee shirt covers nice, IWB 3 o clock or 5 works best for me. Winters with a wind breaker or light jacket I actually like a shoulder rig. My preferred is OWB 4-5 o clock position. Of course if one carries them girly guns that come equipped with a rape whistle and a whole 7 rounds one can suitcase them with an extra mag!!!! I am a full size 10 to 17 round carry guy...hehheheheheheheeh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts