National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in the process of creating a (German, later English) Wikipedia article about former arms constructor Bellmore-Johnson (followin gup on an article about the Winchester Model 1898 Signal Cannon. While a lot of information about Bellmore-Johnson is available, two open questions remained to me:

1. Bellmore-Johnson was founded by Howard "Howie" Johnson (1920-2015), which also explains the "Johnson" part in the company name. But what does the "Bellmore" stand for?

2. Did Bellmore-Johnson construct the
    • Winchester 59
    • Winchester Super X
    • "Mossberg lever-action"
    • Ithaca 51

guns? (which model may this be, anyway? It must have been constructed anywhen in the 50s till 70s.)

This is mentioned by Wildey Moore, the designer of the Wildey pistols, in his book Wildey’s Here: The Survivor.

"Bellmore Johnson was a firm that built prototype firearms for the gun industry. Whenever a company rolled out a new gun, the chances were high that they had used Bellmore Johnson to design it. The Winchester 59 and SuperX, the Mossberg lever action, and Ithaca 51 are all examples of guns they designed."

Is there any other source available to back up these claims? I have failed to find any. Obviously, a gun manufacturer does not have an interest to publish such contractors. But maybe one of you knows a book not available in Google Books?

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,179 Posts
This usually never ends well but we'll see what happens. Don't be surprised if one of the other Mods nukes this.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr. Richard Care is the current owner of the Bellmore Johnson Co and it's rights to manufacture the Winchester Signal Cannon. He may have records and be able to provide further information. Seems an affable and gregarious chap.
I have already tried to contact him in March - unfortunately, he has not answered. 😞

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.