National Gun Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,335 Posts
Always good to have a stash on hand. I have enough 9mm brass to last a long long time too. They don't split very often lol. 10mm is what seams to fail 1st for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Pistol brass should not fail if the load is within acceptable limits. Most semiautomatic pistols are low pressure (around 15,000 psi) compared to rifles. I've got brass that I've been reloading for several years without any issue.

·
Aim true !
11,335 Posts
10mm pushes 30k plus in pressure. I did back my loads down. And im getting longer case life now. The nickel plated brass seams to fail the fastest.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The nickel plated brass probably is more brittle than pure brass. Probably related to the plating process. I don't encounter that many nickel plated cases, so the few I do encounter go straight in the trash. I keep my pistol loads reduced because I'm cheap and my rifle loads reduced because 1) they're antique military rifles or C&R military rifles and 2) I'm cheap. No reason to subject my collection guns that I shoot to unnecessary stress and starting loads stretch my reloading budget and saves resources in these times of scarcity.

·
Aim true !
11,335 Posts
I load rifle with cast data for target shooting. Makes the brass last and powder go far. Red dot and green dot powders are my faves for them. I save the full power for hunting.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I primarily use Red Dot as a backup handgun powder in case I run out of Titegroup (my preferred handgun powder). I was fortunate to be able to purchase a quantity of it at below market cost-a local reloader I knew was getting out of the hobby and he was wanting to move the stuff he had. Got a lot of Reloder 19 in the deal too.

·
Aim true !
11,335 Posts
I like T.G too. For plated and jacketed. I had leading with T.G for coated cast. Especially with 9mm and .380.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Where are y’all getting 100rnd boxes? I can only find 50 rounds and I’m still paying a crap ton and yes lucky cause I am not paying $1/round which is what the going rate here in Green Bay stores are. Sucks but I’ll get it where I can right now. Wish I could bulk buy but too much money for me right now. Shoot 250 dollars for 500 rounds sounds fine to me right now.

·
Aim true !
11,335 Posts
I get 100 round boxes off my ammo shelf. 😁 Might be time for you to think about reloading. Componets are hard to get too. But after all the mayhem settles stock deep.

Reactions: Jordan9MM

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have thousand round ammo cans stored in my gun storage room. I’ve been reloading for years and buy components in bulk. Rifle cartridges are typically reloaded in 50-100 round batches. Pistol cartridges are typically reloaded in 500-1,000 round batches. When I take pistols to the range, I open the can I’m currently drawing from and load the magazines at home. No 50 or 100 round boxes for me. Rifle ammunition is drawn from the storage can and put in a spare ammunition can. It doubles as the container I use to return spent brass to the shop for cleaning and reloading.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
i prefer to walk into a shop and buy my ammo.....but its limiting.....and apparently a lot of folks still do as well since the local shelves are mostly barren.
i may pay a bit more but i enjoy looking at the inventory, guns, gadgets, etc.....and visiting. ..if they would put a table and coffee pot in there, no one would leave.....

if you want it and need it and can afford it.....get it.......my daughter was thrilled to find some 250 savage ammo at the store.......she was as proud of the find as the store was proud of the price.......both found it acceptable and both are happy.........

heck....if i found 32 h&r mag and some 25 acp on the local shelves right now i would crow and buy it.......i prefer to buy locally anyways.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I would love to start reloading, after everything calms down definitely gunna be teaching myself to reload. Gunna save me so much money in the long run.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Not so much saves money, but you get more ammo and shooting time for the same money.
If you try, you get better accuracy in your rifle ammo as well.
I don't spend any less since I got back into reloading, I just get to shoot more and more accurate.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
i reload a few different calibers.......and going with a cast lead bullet from an outfit like missourri bullet company in bulk does trim the production costs per round....

but some calibers i will not reload for.......such as the 25acp.....its not a real frequent shooter, too dang small for me to manipulate, and i seem to lose at least 50 percent of my brass on the outdoor ranges. besides s&b is....or at least was.......affordable but they were also berdan primed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I collect obsolete military rifles, so reloading is a must. It's literally the difference between a rifle being a wall hanger and a shooter in many cases. Buying in bulk is where you save money (if any). The one thing I like about bolt action rifles over semiautomatic rifles is that the bolt action doesn't fling the brass all over the place. Semiautomatics make picking my brass up a chore.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Where are y’all getting 100rnd boxes? I can only find 50 rounds and I’m still paying a crap ton and yes lucky cause I am not paying $1/round which is what the going rate here in Green Bay stores are. Sucks but I’ll get it where I can right now. Wish I could bulk buy but too much money for me right now. Shoot 250 dollars for 500 rounds sounds fine to me right now.
Last 8 boxes I got from Bass Pro -- Herters (Bass Pro brand). Hope that helps the location, I can't help with the purchase:)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts