National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll, I currently live in Vegas and I'm going to be joining the local police force here in about 6 months when I turn 21. I just recently purchased a Ruger 10/22 Long rifle and love it so far. I also have been shooting my friends 8mm Mauser (SP?) and am having trouble hitting the target with the 8mm. I've been told its' because of my height, I'm only 5'2" and the scope isn't positioned for a small frame. Any suggestions?

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Welcome from Oregon!:biggrin5:

I don't think your height is a problem, unless you are trying to get into the top cupboards without a stool! But then your feet don't hang off the bed do they?

Shooting is really all about practice and getting familiar with the gun you are shooting. It takes many, many trips to the range to get to the point where you are impressed by your own shooting. Relax, take your time and enjoy the learning experience.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Welcome from the Land of Lincoln.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Ms. CountryGal, jump in and have fun.

If you're having trouble with the Mauser, it could be because of your stature but also may be because of the eye relief. That's the distance from your eye to the scope's objective. If you see a big black circle and the image is floating around, your eye may be too far away from the scope. If it's someone else's rifle, it's unlikely they'd change that for you. If it's your own, you need to loosen the rings, bring the scope closer and retighten. BUT, if the scope is TOO close, not only will it mess up your sighting but could give you a cut eyebrow as well. Best to have someone familiar with scope mounting procedures to help out, if you can.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you will have the opportunity to get lots of advice, and some excellent pointers. Congrats on your career choice.
Don't worry about your height being an issue with firing weapons, just as long as your feet go to the ground, you should be good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts