National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Live Free
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was not sure where this belonged, so general discussion seemed a good start.

Last week a good friend called and asked if I could help with a 6.5 Grendel AR he had helped assemble. Since both he and the folks he was helping were good friends I agreed to have a look. The problem was that the rifle was shooting 3-4 MOA at 100 with Hornady Ammo. Initially we figured there is either a scope issue or a barrel issue, as he had already double checked
everything else. The gun ran fine but grouped like a 12ga. They swapped scopes and there was no change, so he had another barrel (also BCA) and changed the barrel. Still pretty much the same! This lead to another serious inspection for head spacing and any other anomaly they could find, but all was good.

So he called the folks at BCA and told them what was going on. They asked what ammo was being used, and when they heard that it was all Hornady factory loads, they suggested trying a different brand because they were having some issues with accuracy with Hornady ammo. My friend thought that sounded a bit like bovine defecation, but before sending anything back, he asked me if I could try some different loads in it. Since they were hoping to take the gun on a hog hunt within a few days, and nobody carries much 6.5 Grendel ammo in our area except Hornady (and it is 70 miles away) I agreed to try a few of my own loads. I really do not like shooting my ammo in guns it was not tested for, but I had a couple loads that were a grain and a half below published maximums and shot good in all three of my rifles, so I agreed to test it out.

I shot a group with their Hornady Black ammo and it was about 3.5 MOA. I next tried a load with Speer 120 GD bullets, and it shot MOA no problem! Since there was not time for them to round up ammo I gave them a supply of mine (again something I do not like doing) for their hog hunt. Feedback I have heard so far is all smiles...:smile5: Also tried a load with Speer 90 grain TNT bullets, and it was not quite MOA, but I imagine the bullet/load could be tuned for the gun to be better

One last note on the subject; I have a BCA barrel in my 6.5 Grendel AR, and it was fine with Hornady Black, not quite MOA, but close. It struck me as being a bit lame in knowing that your current production has accuracy issues, but just keep on churning them out. I have heard some folks complain that BCA barrels are terrible, while most say they are pretty good for the price, I question their attitude in this regard...why not produce good quality with consistent performance instead of explaining the problem?

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Good thing your ammo worked out and saved the hunting trip! :thumbsup:

Expecting one type of factory ammo to work out of a cheap barrel is like hoping to win the lottery.

·
Live Free
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thing your ammo worked out and saved the hunting trip! :thumbsup:

Expecting one type of factory ammo to work out of a cheap barrel is like hoping to win the lottery.
I do agree, but I kinda think that 3-4 MOA is pretty poor. Maybe I have just had good luck. Of course I never depend on factory ammo either, so maybe I just do not see how poorly some of it performs in certain barrels.

I was glad those loads worked out and I was able to help a friend.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
BCA has a reputation for very erratic performance.

·
1911 Addict
9 Posts
FWIW...Hornady Black (123gr ELD Match) out of my Grendel build using a Lilja 23" heavy barrel has been consistently SUB-MOA. I'm very pleased with the performance. Could be his batch of ammo, but I'm thinking its the barrel.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,357 Posts
What happens if you remove the flash suppressor/muzzle brake and shoot without it??? Just a wild arse guess, the barrel threading may be canted just slightly enough to tilt the suppressor/brake and creating uneven pressure on the bullet as it leaves the barrel? Again, just a wild arse guess.

·
Live Free
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What happens if you remove the flash suppressor/muzzle brake and shoot without it??? Just a wild arse guess, the barrel threading may be canted just slightly enough to tilt the suppressor/brake and creating uneven pressure on the bullet as it leaves the barrel? Again, just a wild arse guess.
The problem was basically the same (slight variation) with poor accuracy with two different barrels, but problem solved with my hand loads. Neither barrel was good until we switched to handloads. Unlikely it was the flash suppressor, it is shooting good with ammo change. Pretty poor with Hornady loads to start...unusually poor performance until we changed to my handloads. Hopefully they will try a variety of ammo in the future to see what works best.

·
1911 Addict
9 Posts
The problem was basically the same (slight variation) with poor accuracy with two different barrels, but problem solved with my hand loads. Neither barrel was good until we switched to handloads. Unlikely it was the flash suppressor, it is shooting good with ammo change. Pretty poor with Hornady loads to start...unusually poor performance until we changed to my handloads. Hopefully they will try a variety of ammo in the future to see what works best.

Willing to send me some of your hand loads? I'll Venmo you S&H and whatever you think is fair for cost of brass. I'd really like to do a side-by-side comparison. Email me if so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts