National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
I have no practical use for a battle rifle in the civilian world, but I prefer the M1 Garand. It's just fun to shoot. And for an individual rifleman who is not operating as part of a fire team, it is just as practical as any of the other guns mentioned.

For modern combat here in the Middle East, I would not select any .30-caliber semiauto.

·
Registered
957 Posts
You can trace the lineage of probably all of our rifles to a "battle" rifle. Even your bolt action. Nearly all started life as a military design. Most pistols too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Of the three mentioned, I enjoyed shooting the H&K G3 the most. But as a military rifle...I don't know...which one is more reliable?

G

·
red-rider said:
You can trace the lineage of probably all of our rifles to a "battle" rifle. Even your bolt action. Nearly all started life as a military design. Most pistols too.
Just for the record, at least in modern parlance, a "battle rifle" or "main battle rifle" is usually defined as a semiauto (possibly with an auto option) that fires a full-power rifle cartridge, such as 7.62X51/.308, .30-06, 8mm Mauser, etc.

While the '03 Springfield, '98 Mauser, Trapdoor Springfield, the Kentucky and the Brown Bess have all been used in battle, I don't think that's exactly what he meant. :mrgreen:

G

·
Calling an AR15 a "battle rifle" is a pretty loose definition. While the AR's non-neutered equivalent, the M16 series, is obviously used in battle very frequently, it doesn't really fall under the generally accepted definition of "battle rifle" since it doesn't fire a full-power rifle cartridge. Rather, it fires a reduced-power cartridge.

Without an auto switch, the AR can't even be properly called an "assault rifle." It's really just a simple carbine - a short rifle of reduced power - rather than a battle rifle or an MBR.

G

·
Mosin Nagant for me, or the K98, I am assuming that falls under the battle rifle definition. I hadnt fully thought of the difference between assault rifle and battle rifle, the only other rifles you listed that I have shot are the FN FAL, and that rifle was amazingly accurate for me.

G

·
Gunny the Gun said:
Dobey said:
Mosin Nagant for me, or the K98.
Old school :) , you might have a slight disadvantage compared to modern times :(
Actually, for an individual rifleman operating alone, I don't think a bolt gun is much of a disadvantage at all. Though I'd prefer one lighter than a Mosin or a '98.

G

·
Dethlokk said:
Only if you're trained with one.
Is there a gun that doesn't require training to use properly?

An individual rifleman, who is not part of a fire team, must shoot very accurately from cover/concealment if he is to prevail against (or even simply harass) a numerically superior force. He must not fire long strings of shots or he will be located and quickly destroyed by the superior force, which can maneuver on him. Thus, the individual rifleman must fire single, sniper-type shots rather than long barrages.

A semiauto with a detachable magazine is of no more use to such a rifleman than a bolt gun. And a bolt gun can be made lighter, is sometimes less expensive and, as you note, often more accurate. It is also useful as a sport hunting rifle, whereas the weight of the semiautos mitigates against them in that role.

G

·
leeindy said:
Mike Barham said:
Dethlokk said:
Only if you're trained with one.
Is there a gun that doesn't require training to use properly?
ak47
Heh heh, only if you believe what you read on the internet!

I can tell you for a fact that non-shooters, like the Afghan National Army guys we train over here, definitely need instruction on the AK.

G

·
HK G3 is the most rugged and durable. Good accuracy and horrible triggers. Clunky and bad ergonomics but a very tough rifle. Slow reload and it does not hold open on last round. Roller bolt is difficult to operate sometimes. Easy to accessorize and it was one of the first modular weapon systems. $1800 to $3000 depending on condition.

M1A is easily the most accurate, as it has a good trigger and sights. A rifleman's rifle. Slow reload... mags are expensive, finicky and magazine seating must be exact. Receptive to stripper clips. The best trigger and accuracy. Heaviest, but ergonomics are good. The cheapest at $1200 to $2500

The FN FAL (The free world's right arm, says Jeff Cooper) Accurate, reliable, depedable and ergonomics are exceptional. It remains one of the finest designs in firearm history and little has been done to it since it's inception in 1959. Mags are easy to find, inexpensive and reliable (metric and standard). Reloading is fast for a battle rifle, with the bolt release right next to the mag release, thus making a reload fast and easy. Good sights, although it's trigger is very mushy and requires some work to improve. The most controllable 7.62 NATO battle rifle and it has many versions. The G Series FAL is one of the finest and most collectible battle rifles in existance.

The AR-10's have evolved in recent years with Stoner, Knight's, DPMS, Armalite and others making a solid weapon of good quality with amazing accuracy in select versions. A person familiar with AR's will be comfortable with these weapons. Many variants available.

Galil AR/ARM's are highly refined Valmet rifles, which evolved from the Kalishnikov. The Galil has the legendary reliability of an AK, the folding stock of the FAL, and a thumb safety selector. Not in widespread use in Israel but it is in Central and South America where it's reputation is superb. An expensive rifle that is decidedly unreceptive to optical enhancement or improvements. Mags are very expensive, ultra-reliable and hard to come by. Reloads are slow, but mags can be loaded full and seat easily with either hand. Accuracy is good, and it comes with tritum flip ups on front and rear sights. ARM version has an excellent bipod. $2500-$3500.

SIG AMT's are very reliable, expensive, rare and made like a Rolex. Quality is exceptional but these are the most expesive rifles in the world, the hardest to fix, and field strip. Mags are expesive. reloads are slow. Sight are ok but the rifle itself does not have good ergonomics.

Valmet made it's model 78 to fill the need for a support weapon in 762 NATO. Utilizing the Kalishnikov action in an RPK style platform, the rifle is unique and seldom seen. It is of excellent quality. Accuracy is good but sight are lacking, reloads are slow, mags are rare, expensive and along with the rifles, very collectible.

My Vote...The FN FAL in 50.63 (18" barrel, side folding stock) Original FN's are about $2500 to $4000 for a premium condition rifle. :---

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I'm rather partial to the FN FAL. The SADF used a variant called the R1, and later an updated version, the R2. Later they started producing the R4 which was based on the Galil, which my hubby says was an amazing piece of weaponry!! Accurate and rugged..........

G

·
SheNine said:
I'm rather partial to the FN FAL. The SADF used a variant called the R1, and later an updated version, the R2. Later they started producing the R4 which was based on the Galil, which my hubby says was an amazing piece of weaponry!! Accurate and rugged..........
Are you referring to the Galil 308 or 5.56?

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
ICM856 said:
SheNine said:
Are you referring to the Galil 308 or 5.56?
The 5.56 I believe............

G

·
I would have to say it would really depend on the situation. there’s a broad range of environments you could be in when it comes to a battle situation. in a wide open area a long range bolt action would be good where as something like an AR pistol would get you killed but taking control of a building with narrow halls and many rooms a bolt action would get you killed and a short AR, AR pistol or even an AK-47 with a folding stock would work wonders with the right tactics. so with all do respect your question has a few gaps in it but i like the subject.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts