National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question that already has a similar post but I am trying to get a more precise answer here.

I am looking for advice as to what type of scope with be good for AR-15. Currently there is an NcStar 4x30 on it, but it is irreparably damaged. I am interested in a good "battle/assault" scope. More specific description of what I want out of it below.

Things I'm looking for/to do with scope,

1.) Thin crosshairs for distant objects.
2.) Mountable for AR carry handle
3.) Reliable for 3" pattern at 200-400 yards from AR (which should be easily accommodated)
4.) Rubberized

Will be used for plinking and game past 100 yards as I am accurate with open/fixed up to 100 yards.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
If you have the money to burn. Go with this.

It is a nice little setup with a reflex on top so you can use it both close in and at distance.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Dude, that is awsome. Id drop a brick to have a sight like that. Thats got to run, what, 600...800? Trijicon Acog's are amazing 4x dot sights, but are too expencive.

Presonally, i prefer the EO-Tech, but i dont think it works with the rail, i think its only a RIS top rail accessory...but dont quote me...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have the money to burn. Go with this.

It is a nice little setup with a reflex on top so you can use it both close in and at distance.

It looks cool, but I have no idea what make/model it is. Please provide more info.

Also, max price that I am really willing to spend is $200-250 for a battle scope.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Welp, rule out that thing up there. That looks to be a Trijicon ACOG scope, but it will run at least $500.

the Eo-Tech runs about $200 maybe 3...dunno

Just one peice of advice...you get what you pay for.

ANd if possible, canyou put up a pic of your set up?

The EO-tech is one of the best holosights there is. Military guys been buying em out of pocket and strapping em on. Theres just not much better out there, short of the Trijicon ACOG

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Dude, that is awsome. Id drop a brick to have a sight like that. Thats got to run, what, 600...800? Trijicon Acog's are amazing 4x dot sights, but are too expencive.

Presonally, i prefer the EO-Tech, but i dont think it works with the rail, i think its only a RIS top rail accessory...but dont quote me...
That one runs between $1100 and $1300 depending on who is selling it.

That particular model is a Trijicon ACOG DOC Scope w/ Doctor Optic.

This is the cheapest I have seen it.
http://www.4scopes.com/acog.htm?gclid=CJahspr2jZUCFRhhnAod-Cqrfw

·
Registered
568 Posts
Its sad, because thats more than the gun that most people will be using it on...but i have never seen a better sight.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Its sad, because thats more than the gun that most people will be using it on...but i have never seen a better sight.
Very true. And that is the way with the ACOGs that the Corps uses. The ones we use cost $860, unit replacement for the M16A4 is $720 (not including rail system). Hell the Surefire tac lights cost us about $400.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
That is silly that the sites are that much more than the gun... but hey, the gun is old technology now. I think I'm going to pick up an EOTech (the model that uses AA batteries) for my AR-15 eventually. I'm going to site in the iron sites tomorrow though. :D

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
If you can't achieve a proper sight picture, you can't hit your target.

The aftermarket sighting systems on the vast majority of my rifles cost more than the individual rifles themselves.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It dont make since that taclights or even mags or stocks or RIS systems cost so much. For christ sakes, most are friggen polymer's and plastics.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
It dont make since that taclights or even mags or stocks or RIS systems cost so much. For christ sakes, most are friggen polymer's and plastics.
But it is the way it is a lot of the time.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
It is not uncommon at all for good optics to run more than the gun they are mounted on today. In F-Class shooting for example, it is imperative the scope has 60 or 80 minutes of elevation adjustment to reach out to 1,000 yards. It also must be able to return to the same, exact zero every time as well. Side focus is a feature more and more shooters are demanding, as are glass etched reticles, and accurate Mil.-Dot ranging systems. The bottom line is today's shooters are demanding far more from their optics than they were 20 years ago, when a plain Jane 3-9X was considered "top of the line" by many. These new, high quality optics are far more costly to produce. The result is far more accurate shooting at long range than was possible 20 years ago. For the guy that runs a box or 2 of ammo through his gun every year, or the shooter who simply plinks at short range, a cheap scope may or may not suffice. But for these newer, long range shooting disciplines like F-Class, a top of the line, long range 30 MM scope is required. They get real expensive, real fast. Bill T.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was talking to the guy of the gun shop the other day. Explaining to him that I was interested in a rubberized scope. He explained to me that any rubberized scope would be junk. I guess most of these come from only a few holes in the ground and most are foreign crap.

Thoughts?

I have looked at Bushnell and Leupold, but these things can get salty fast. Most rubberized scopes I have looked at are in the price range of $75-$135.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
I don't know of any quality glass that is "rubberized". There isn't much, if any advantage to it, and even less demand. If there was the top makers would be making it. Even the top European scope manufacturers don't bother. Most of the coated Aluminum tubes used today are quite durable. Bill T.

G

·
Eotechs are CQC sights, good for carbines with 16-20 inch barrels and a max effective range of 250 yards, outside.

You would be better off with an M-4 with no carry handle and a quality 10x fixed scope.

I personally like the SWFA Super Sniper 10x. $350, it was a US contract scope, now you can buy them. Its cowning glory is you have to work real hard to break it. Ive had a few guys trying.

Yes a Leopold roman number is a lot better scope, and cost 2-3x more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts