National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Remington 700 , it has a 20” inch threaded barrel , the gun was only shot 5 times , it has a thread protector on the barrel and seems on thier pretty good , my question is do they go on clock wise and come off counter clock wise just like most things ? It’s first gun I’ve owned with a threaded barrel , I only tried loosening it by hand but wanna make sure it’s not reversed threaded befor I try using more force , penetrating oils etc to get it off , thanks

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
It should be right handed threads. I would just let it on until you decide to attach something to it. Once you brake them loose they never stay tight.

Reactions: Russ D and Popeye

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,270 Posts
Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Yup mad scientist and the coal cracker nailed this, some have found loc-tite blue style helps with keeping it secure red if you plan on never removing again.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
I have 2 handguns with threaded barrels. Unfortunately you have to take off the thread protector to strip them down for cleaning. I just take the protector off when at the range. Had one come off when shooting. Learned then to just take them off. My 10 mm carbine has a threaded barrel too. That i put a muzzle brake on and loc-tited it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Wise Coalcracker is! Listen to him you should!

I've found that when you're doing your own armoring, it's best not to "poke thre bear",
unless you are ready to make a serious change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts