National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry my Kimber in a Ballistic Nylon holster when in the woods. Been using the Ruger for CC. I've been keeping the Kimber in my backpack so I can just throw it in the truck when going out to check feeders or do other work. I left the backpack in the truck for a week and a half and when I finally pulled it out and took out the Kimber the top of the slide was rusted. Seems the Ballistic Nylon retains a lot of moister. I cleaned the pistol and pulled the slide off.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wood Cosmetics Rectangle Bumper Tool

Did a little polishing on the sides of the slide as well. I have a little sand blaster which is perfect for Gun work.

Vehicle Bicycle fork Bicycle part Gas Sports equipment

So I did the top of the slide, Gripe safety, safety, and slid release.

Automotive tire Cosmetics Computer keyboard Font Office supplies

My current train of though is to have these pieces done in black Cerakote. New night sights will be added once the pieces are finished. More as I progress..................

Attachments

·
Aim true !
12,184 Posts
I like the nylon holsters too. Becuase they don't scratch the finish. I was not aware they can hold moisture. Good thing to know. Just checked my Taurus spectrum. I keep it in a pocket holster. It has some rust starting on top of the slide. I'll clean it up. And take it of the holster when im not carrying it. Thanks for the heads up. (y)

·
Live Free
3,643 Posts
Sorry you are going through that. Hope the refinish turns out good for you. I learned a long time back to never leave a gun in a holster for any prolonged periods. It is tempting to leave my EDC in the holster when I take it off in the evening…ready to go in the morning! But I remove it from the holster at night, and make sure to wipe the gun down good at least once a week too. I hate corrosion on a firearm :mad:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Seems like a while back (long while) a nylon holster was the mark of a greenhorn, cheapo, uninformed, whatever. That was, and is wrong IMHO. Cheaper? Yes, mostly. But the quality ones can be durable, logically chosen, and well researched. They can also be a viable choice in rough or brushy terrain that might scratch and scar a pricey leather holster. As to holding moisture ... ask the expert leather workers also. I choose not to store a gun in a leather or Kydex holster anyway. YMMV

-jb, spends his money as he wishes

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,145 Posts
My current train of though is to have these pieces done in black Cerakote. New night sights will be added once the pieces are finished. More as I progress..................
The reasons I use GunKote is that it’s a lot thinner than cerakote, won’t change the fitment of your parts. The second reason is cerakote is prone to chipping, GunKote won’t. It’s also a single part solution, no mixing. Spray it on and bake it. Durability is neck and neck.

Seriously, GunKote is hard to screw up. I dropped a slide with a wet coat on it the other day. Stuff is so thin that I rinsed it off in acetone, sanded the 2 corners or the slide that got blunted when it hit the concrete and painted over what didn’t rinse off. You can’t tell it ever happened.

If you need to hide imperfections in the gun, cerakote may be your best option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts