National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon, all. I'm writing a story where several characters are using automatic rifles (M-16s) and I didn't see anywhere else to go with a few questions I have. I've never held or fired an M-16, so I'm quite out of the loop with certain details.

What's the difference between cyclic rate of fire and practical rate of fire?

If one pulls the trigger, as if firing one shot with a semi-automatic rifle, how many rounds are fired?

When the magazine is empty, does an M-16 make a clicking sound? Does it make any sound?

How much, if any, vibration is there when firing and how much would this affect someone who's never used an M-16?

Any other details unique to an M-16 that only someone who's used it would know or experience?

Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer!

Peace,
Gary . . .

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
youtube is your friend.........

Reactions: Popeye and Stevejet

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I'm at work getting paid time and a half for doing nothing and am a little bored so...
If one pulls the trigger, as if firing one shot with a semi-automatic rifle, how many rounds are fired?
This may need some clarification.

When the magazine is empty, does an M-16 make a clicking sound? Does it make any sound?
No because the bolt locks rearward and the trigger can't be pulled to make a click but hollywood often uses that click as a universally known sign that the gun is empty.

How much, if any, vibration is there when firing and how much would this affect someone who's never used an M-16?
The answer is subjective.

Any other details unique to an M-16 that only someone who's used it would know or experience?
Too open ended to be useful for your purposes.

You're welcome

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Afternoon, all. I'm writing a story where several characters are using automatic rifles (M-16s) and I didn't see anywhere else to go with a few questions I have. I've never held or fired an M-16, so I'm quite out of the loop with certain details.

What's the difference between cyclic rate of fire and practical rate of fire?
The cyclic rate of fire for a M-16 is between 700 and 950 rounds per minute. That is taken how long it take from the trigger pull and the first round fired for the gun to cycle and fire the second round. Then divide 60 seconds by that time slice and you get the maximum possible rounds the rifle could ever fire in 1 minute. The 250 round variance could be the result of many factors. Lubrication, powder charge, tightness of buffer springs just to name a few.

Practical rate of fire will be much lower. An M-16 with a 200 round drum mag will have a practical rate of fire much higher than an M-16 with a 30 round magazine. It takes time to change out magazines and reset the rifle, reacquire a sight picture and release the bolt. Cyclic rate of fire is theory. Practical rate of fire is real life.

Depends on many factors. Assuming the rifle functions properly and every cartridge chambers and fires as it should the the answer is between 3 and the number of rounds in the magazine. Shooting all the rounds in the magazine of an automatic rifle ( Called a mag dump ) is a waste of ammo and time. Many variants of the M-16 have a fire select-able auto sear. You can set it to fire three rounds automatically and stop till the trigger is reset by releasing it and squeezing it again. Or it can be set to fire till the trigger is released or the magazine is empty.

None at all. After the mag is empty the bolt locks in the open position till it is released. But even if the bolt did not lock back there would not be a clicking sound. The system is powered by the same gasses that send the bullet down range. Once the bullet travels down the barrel it passes a point where there is a hole in the barrel. This hole ( Gas Block ) allows the hot gasses to pass back into the bolt carrier group. This forces the bolt to unlock and then drives the bolt carrier group backwards into the buffer spring. As it travels backwards it pulls the spent case out of the chamber and it is ejected through the ejection port. The bolt carrier group also re-cocks the hammer. The buffer spring pushes the bolt carrier group forward. This forward motion strips another round from the magazine and pushes it into the fireing chamber. The bolt then re-locks. The auto sear allows the trigger to be released and the cycle starts again.

This method of operation is called Direct Impingement. There is an alternative to DI that uses a piston that is activated by the pressure of the hot gases but both methods require a round to be fired to make the system work. No round, not hot gases, no next bang.

Assuming the M-16 is chambered for .223 Remington or 5.56 Nato the recoil is minimal. However the rifle will pull up and to the left and with each round fired. A person with some experience can hold that down and back pretty easily but a newbie could loose control of the rifle quite easily. One round is easy to control. It is the cumulative effect of round after round that could cause complete and deadly disaster. For someone that has never fired an M-16 or an AR-15 ( They are very different rifles even if they look the same ) I would begin with 1 round in the magazine. Then after a few rounds like this bump that up to three rounds with extreme prejudice. ( sorry I just like that term and it does fit here ) Do a few magazines like that then a few with 6 rounds before turning the newbie loose with a 30 round mag. I would want to see them fire three round bursts with the 6 round mags before letting it all hang out. Like a car, getting started is not as important as being able to stop. The last thing you want is to be on the range when a newbie pulls a whiskey throttle with a M-16.

Peace,
Gary . . .

·
Registered
14,608 Posts
"None at all. After the mag is empty the bolt locks in the open position till it is released. But even if the bolt did not lock back there would not be a clicking sound."

I have to disagree there. If by chance you mag was bad or for whatever reason your bolt didn't lock back there would be one click from the trigger pull.

There is only one type of gun that i can think of that will repeatedly keep clicking when the trigger is pulled with the gun empty and that's a double action revolver.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The cycle, subsequent rounds fired is driven by the energy from the previous round. There might be motor driven MGs, but they would be in a gun platform like am airplane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts